It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Public Service Annoucement ----- Do not leave your dog unattended ever!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

i was at a flea market one time and there was a dog in a car. when they'd parked the car, it was in the shade. then as the day wore on, it was in the sun. the people who ran the flea market weren't happy when i gave them the license plate & told them i wasn't leaving till they announced it over their loud speaker. they did, grudgingly. i watched the people go to their car & thankfully the first thing they did was give the dog some water. i didn't trust myself to say anything to them directly, i didn't want to get into a fight. however, there was definitely some swearing going on in my car while i watched them. what the hell were those damn idiots thinking??!!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Wow if your avatar is your dog, that is one beautiful creature!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love little shih tzus too, thought I wouldn't like little "wuzzy dogs" but my son's fiance has a beagle and shih tzus and we dog sit for them when they go up to see her parents in Wisconsin.............are they cute.

The little shih tzus is a girl and has a bit of a attitude, but still with all the critters across the street from us.

Well my hearing is really going............last night we were sitting out on our deck and my husband said, "do you hear them?" I said, "What" he said, "You're really going deaf, the coyotes are at it tonight, a whole pack going!"

Two doors down from us on the other street the guys that live in that house said one was walking home at night from the store and had a coyote following him

And my husband said he talked to a lady several streets over while walking our dog that said she actually witnessed two crows carry off a real tiny dog in her neighbor's yard last week...........................as stated before, I live in the burbs outside a large Midwest City, not rural country. But, we do live near a nature preserve and 200 acre field with trees owned by the Village that is over grown and fenced in with a nice creek running through and a small stream that is the west part hooking up to the DuPage River.

I've even seen deer twice run through the field across the street

Two crows carrying off a small dog
Boy - now think, that means that two crows got together, worked together (cooperation) and planned out how to help each other obtain a meal................animals may be smarter than we realize.

And as we are evolving, they are also evolving.

Yep, my hearing is going, got to put on those hearing aids - nothing like hearing the coyotes howl but my husband and son said, it sounds like they're doing well, it sounded like a lot of em over there.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Agreed. We put our dogs out at night all night and bring them in during the day. They favor that. And it drives our neighbors nuts and we don't like their cats all over our yard sleeping under our vehicles so its win win

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PamelaBritton2U

my first Pointer was a show pointer - he was left unattended in a yard as a puppy.

Someone came by and stole him.

He was teathered to a tree for three-four years by the boy's parent's that stole him. He knew my son.

The owners got tired of him and were going to take him to a kill shelter.

My son was friends with their son (who stole him originally).

My son came home and said, hey let's try Odie out for a couple days, they are going to take him to the pound.

Those two days of 'trying Odie out" turned into 15 wonderful years.

I took Odie to the vet the third day and the vet looked at us and said, "Where in sam hell did people like you get a dog like this?" I asked, "Why" he replied, "This is a real high quality show dog, a top Pointer probably worth a thousand dollars".

What a dog, he was smart, sweet, full of himself (he knew he was handsome).

Leave your dog unattended and you risk many things.............being stolen, being bitten by a snake, a pack of coyotes or wolves, being poisoned by some screwy nutty people (just look at some of them on ATS).

You can gamble on your dogs life....................me, no with my Lucy - I'm going to be very cautious.

I meant this as a public service, if my message stops just one dog from roasting in a car than all the knocks like yours are worth it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d47cc9094d27.jpg[/atsimg]
Odie 1990-1992? - July 19, 2010

This picture was taken about a month before he passed away. He was 72 pounds and I didn't have to worry about him in the back yard as much as Lucy............he could take care of himself.
edit on 29-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: added picture

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ozmaoz47

A star for your bravery and courage to get involved.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bf38bb62cc0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Two crows carrying off a small dog Boy - now think, that means that two crows got together, worked together (cooperation) and planned out how to help each other obtain a meal................animals may be smarter than we realize. And as we are evolving, they are also evolving.

I've heard of that type of stuff before. The crows and ravens are extremely smart, and they can be mean. I have a little black cat also, she stays in the yard and there are a lot of trees for her to climb for escape from if the coyotes or foxes pass through. Plus, in the winter, she stays in all the time. Too cold and snowy.

We have sort of an agreement with the crows. My kitty (17 years young) brings mice onto the enclosed back porch, and I throw them out onto the driveway, and within 1/2 hour, they're gone. I think the crow is leaving the cat alone because it sees her catch the mice he ends up with
Thankfully there are so many mice that I don't think the crows would bug the cat. She comes in by dark, that's when the coyotes are most active. And owls.

My avatar isn't one of my dogs, I just really love big white furry ones. I would love to have a Great Pyrenees, but they're a lot of work with that much fur. It's enough to trim the Shihtzu's hair every couple of days. It grows so fast. 3 dogs and one cat is my limit. I have to think of food and vet costs, and I don't want to spread my affection around anymore.

I wasn't going to even have 3, but my husband decided to get him, and he's the coolest little guy.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbc12030ffe2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PamelaBritton2U

And you live on a ranch...........whole set of different rules.

Different type of world. Wish I could afford a ranch, I've worked a farm as a child, everything from mending fences, feeding, milking and cleaning up after cows, running a tractor, baling hay.

And still, no, dogs belong at home. Only time they belong in a car is going to the vet, going to a doggy park us burbies have to endure or a nice long cruise to get a ice cream.

Whole nother world.............most people can't afford to run or live on a ranch.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
In light of reading multiple reports of dogs dying (slowly cooked from the inside out) by being left unattended in cars here is a public service annoucements for all you mentally challenged and cruel morons.............DON'T TAKE YOUR DOG WITH YOU IF YOU DON'T INTEND TO STAY RIGHT WITH YOUR DOG.

edit on 28-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because:

Unless the sun is now releasing heavy does of microwaves, the dogs are not being cooked from the inside out. The greenhouse effect is causing the car to heat up to a temperature well in excess of that outside of the vehicle. Dogs do not have sweat glands and must expel all their excess body heat by panting. This method is a lot less efficient than sweating. Even an open window is not sufficient.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

Then you know more than my vet...........are you a veterinarian?

Second line

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

This morning, we received an email. It’s sad, but it’s important to read….

Hi Mayor. I had an unfortunate experience yesterday and I feel horrible, like I have never felt before. I left my dog in my car yesterday to run a quick errand, and when I came back, he was dead. I ran into Safeway, only for about 10 minutes and didn’t realize it was so hot outside. When I came back my best friend was dead. I even parked in the shade but he still died.

I want to know if you will warn others about leaving dogs in cars on hot days. Death happens so fast. I wish I could take it all back. I am just crushed and can’t imagine what he went through.

Source: claycord.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA people actually do that? some people are idiots. i would, but that's only because i'm a psycho xD

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Absolute filth leave their animals to fry in vehicles.
I have a 12 year old Siberian Husky. Since she was a puppy, I always brought her in my local shops, as there was no way I was going to tie up a Siberian puppy outside anywhere. 12 Years later, I still bring her in with me. I have been questioned sometimes by other patrons and I've simply told them, would you leave your child tied up to a meter outside? No? I think not.
I am respectful of others, I take note to watch to see if people are uncomfortable around my dog and I'll move away from them until they've gone.
But there's simply no way I leave my dog alone. In my yard, which is quite decently fortified and fenced in, she is on a lead and has the run of the yard. But I still keep an eye out on her.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

You can crate a dog inside the house you know.

Its not cruel to do so, and they wont tear everything up while you are away. As long as you arent gone for outrageous periods of time, they will just sleep quietly in their crate til you return.

I personally have never had to crate a dog after they were housebroken, but I know people who have dogs with separation anxiety, (which is what it sounds like you are dealing with) and they do perfectly fine in their crate while their owners are working, shopping, etc. Its not ideal, but its also no where near as dangerous or cruel as leaving them in a sweltering car.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
ATS ate my first post on this. That was probably a good thing, some stories do not deserve to be brought into creation again. I wont go into specifics like I did in the first post.

I have seen attitudes like this cost dog's lives on several levels, though the most harmful being shelters and their adoption policies. I have also seen it result in injury (flying glass) and even death (elderly dog/heart attack) on days that were 65f with a calm breeze. The bleeding heart idealogy is detached from reality and outright harmful to the cause it "thinks" it supports.

It also illegitimizes the issue by confusing problems of mainly ignorance and education with intentional cruelty. Maybe some have not "seen enough" to know the difference, I do not know.

I will continue to bring my dogs with me where I go. They hang out in the car even in the driveway. I will also continue to leave them at home when it is too hot. They enjoy it, period. Do not come near my car.

ETA: I could not just "walk" away from the thread.
edit on 29-6-2011 by Serdgiam because: calmed a bit

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Having read through the comments in this thread, I have to comment that I wish that I could be surprised by the level of ignorance displayed by some of the posters.

The topic here isn't whether or not dogs are wild animals or domesticated pets. Under the scope of this discussion we are clearly talking about people leaving their pets unattended.

We are also not debating whether or not a human suffering is worse than a dog suffering.

I am a dog owner myself, having adopted one through Russell Rescue, an organization dedicated to the fostering and rescuing of Jack Russell Terriers. I would not dream of leaving Grissom unattended in my vehicle. The only real time he spends in the car is when we head out to the conservation area to go for a long walk.

People who own dogs and do not take the time to educate themselves about the responsibilities that ownership entails are the real problem. By leaving a dog unattended in a vehicle, a person is violating the terms of the relationship that they have with their animal. Dogs are dependent on their owner to provide them with the necessities of life: food, water, shelter (domicile and from abuse/neglect) and of course stimulation (physical and mental). If you fail to deliver on any of the aforementioned things, then the animal is being neglected.

There is no logical reason for a person to leave their animal in a vehicle in extreme heat or extreme cold. I have called the police before on someone who left their dog in their vehicle while dining in the same restaurant as me. I know that the dog was there for at least 40 minutes because I parked beside the van on my way in (not noticing the dog) and on my way back to the car I could hear barking. I went back inside and asked the management to find out whose animal it was, but nobody took ownership of it.

They took ownership when the police showed up, that's for sure.

The moral of the story is: when you choose to take on the responsibility of pet ownership, fulfill your obligations. It's not like people are forced into having a dog. It is a choice to own a dog and some people should just choose not to.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnLangley
Having read through the comments in this thread, I have to comment that I wish that I could be surprised by the level of ignorance displayed by some of the posters.

The topic here isn't whether or not dogs are wild animals or domesticated pets. Under the scope of this discussion we are clearly talking about people leaving their pets unattended.

We are also not debating whether or not a human suffering is worse than a dog suffering.

Threads tend to drift even on less passionate subjects...all in all it stayed close enough to the heart of the matter.

Originally posted by JohnLangley
< snip>

The moral of the story is: when you choose to take on the responsibility of pet ownership, fulfill your obligations. It's not like people are forced into having a dog. It is a choice to own a dog and some people should just choose not to.

Unfortunately, not everyone seems to exhibit common sense when it comes to pet husbandry. Take the man in the video who expressed his insistence that his pit bull was in no danger while sitting in a car during very hot weather. In his mind he had done nothing wrong...and by looking at him I would tend to agree with you...not everyone should have pets! Once again, because of the lack of empathy and understanding of a few individuals, laws must be enacted to oversee the care of living, feeling animals who are at our mercy. In other words, lots of people are idiots. Many of them shouldn't have children, either...but that is another thread for another time.

It isn't limited to dogs inside cars, either. In our incandescent summers (90°-118°F) even being tied to the bed of a pickup can be agony for dogs. I witnessed a beautiful cattle dog (one of my favorite breeds!) hopping from one foot to the next as the hot metal bed of the ranch pickup sat in the sun in the Costco parking lot. No one makes a quick trip into Costco, and even after waiting for awhile, the owners didn't come back out, and no paper to leave a note I had to move on. Poor doggy and his burnt pads.

People will abuse their privilege until authority steps in.

BTW---I see you are a newcomer to ATS, welcome aboard. Animal lovers always make a few points in my opinion!.

edit on 6/29/2011 by czygyny because: spelling nazi

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but some states allow you to break the car window to let a dog out of a hot car and not be held liable. Definitely call 911 first and let them know what you are doing. This happens a LOT in New Mexico. It has been 100 degrees or close to it for a week here.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17

Originally posted by BrianDamage

Originally posted by blackrain17
reply to post by BrianDamage

Have you ever owned a dog?

We had a family pet dog when I was a child, and yes, she was lovely.
But, I certainly wouldn't have any pet at all now for the reasons I've already outlined.
I think it's selfish and unfair.
I would much rather observe animals in their natural habitat behaving in the ways they are meant to behave.

So you've never owned a dog personally. You've just been around your family's dog. Therefore, never owning a dog and having an opinion other than actual dog owners make you a troll.

And don't give that crap about well it's natures way of feeding its own BS. Like I said, if that were the case, I'd be eating people like you instead of going to the market for food.

Where is the logic in your statement? Only dog owners can have an opinion and anyone else with a differing opinion is a troll?
What are you? 9 yrs old?
This is a forum site, anyone can participate whether you agree with what they say or not.

And don't give that crap about well it's natures way of feeding its own BS.

You think the food chain is BS? Are you devoid of rational thought?
You've also mentioned cannibalism a couple of times, I think you've got issues.

Seriously, this is a debate, if we all had the same view point, it wouldn't be much of a debate, and none of us would learn from the experience, if you can't handle grown up debate, maybe you should avoid such situations.

I'm out......

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

I'm not sure of your reasoning here. There are some dogs that love vehicles so much that they'll jump into the car or truck the moment the door is open. My 2 big dogs stay home, they don't like vehicles, but my shihtzu loves the ride, and is fine in the truck (in the cab). He has water, food, a blanket, and the climate is not hot. In the winter people keep their vehicles running when they go in shopping, so the heat stays on. No whining, crying, barking, or anything that would show he doesn't like it. He just watches every thing going on, looking very happy.

We used to have a big rottweiller that would jump into the truck and stay there if you were working out in the yard. The door would be wide open, and he wouldn't get out. He loved it in there. I had a friend with a convertible once, and anytime the dog went outside, he jumped into the car and stayed there. It's not abusive if they like it there.

Sounds like my German Shepherds. They like going for car rides - usually to the lark park for a run, play in the dam/ river and chase the birds or to dog training (another big field). Sometimes you can't get them out the car.

I've also taken one of my dogs on a short unplanned shopping trip once. There was no way I was going to leave him in the car. No-one said anything about the huge dog on the leash, and a lot of people (mostly kiddies) wanted to pat him. No problems, except at the food store - I can get that [maybe they were worried about the dog eating all the bread rolls
]. People here are either huge dog lovers, too scared to say anything to the woman with the big dog or just apathetic? ;D

Anyway - the dog liked the outing but didn't really like the slippery shopping centre tiles.

BTW - all my dogs are obedience trained and potty trained so there is no random barking and biting of other people without provocation or accidental messes in the wrong places.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Just this week my daughter I an pulled into a parking lot of a box store. In a truck was a beautiful Scottie Terrier. It was quite warm outside. The window of the truck was down and the dog kept sticking it's head out the window. I was afraid someone would walk up and steal the dog! My daughter and I actually waited in our car until the owner came out. When the owner came out, although appreciative of our actions, said she left the dog in the car all the time.

I don't get it.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join