It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Public Service Annoucement ----- Do not leave your dog unattended ever!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

They don't necessarily live outside, they go outside as we do. With lots of shade and water they may be fine from the heat for a time just are we are.
The original dog, Canis lupus or gray wolf , does still live outside.

Granted, many of our domesticated varieties of dog have extremely short or long hair and will not do well in certain outside environments, there are plenty of breeds that do well for themselves without human help. They are referred to at that point as feral dogs.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescentI don't even let my dog outside in our big fenced in yard without supervising her, just exactly like you would a toddler.

We just took our daughter to away camp which is a 5 hour trip in the car. Rather than leave the two little dogs in the house unattended for 10+ hours we took them with us. We did have to stop and eat lunch; it was about 90 degrees outside so I just left the car running with the AC on. No worries.

However, about the attending the dogs outside issue I disagree. Our dogs have never even been on a leash except when they were trained to work cattle I guess. I didn't train them myself I bought them trained. They often go to town in the back of the truck and it's so common around her that businesses have water out for them. Go into any business on Main Street and you will see 3-4 dogs patiently waiting outside for their farmers in all kinds of weather. Never seen an incident at all. Guess out here people know how to either pick or train dogs to behave; or maybe they just leave aggressive ones at home.

Perhaps it's because we live on a farm but our big dogs are outside about 16 hours a day by their own choice - they have a doggie door. They have a creek a pond and several auto waterers to choose from on the 40 acres. They head out at milking time and come home about 2100 every evening.

Anyway, we did have collars on them for a while but feared one getting caught on some fence and hanging herself we opted for microchips instead. The breakaway collars are a joke. I have seen them as far away as 2 miles from the house itself. We all know each other’s dogs out here and I have no fear someone will shoot them. I did see a strange dog once out here and we tried to pick it up but it ran from us. I would have given it a home.

Our dogs don’t kill livestock we did have a dog kill a couple of our chickens once and the neighbor gave me $5.00 a piece and we called it even. No harm no fowl…

If you want to see a society that literally takes their best friends with them everywhere - try England. When I was there I saw dogs in pubs, and everywhere else for that matter.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrormaster
I absolutely LOATH with a huge purple Barney passion any one who leaves their pets in a a vehicle unattended ANY time of year. There is simply NO excuse for it. And the "but I left the window cracked and some water in the car for them" excused doesn't cut it. You take your dog with you, keep them with you - otherwise leave em at home. If you have concerns about the animal misbehaving in your house while not home then you should not own a pet or THAT pet specifically.

This has been a HUGE personal pet peave of mine for an incredibly LONG time. I once thought about creating a photo sharing site like tumblr where people can post pictures of pets in cars and publicly call these arseholes out. I may still do this... Put some advertisement in and donate all proceeds to the Humane Society.

I'm not sure of your reasoning here. There are some dogs that love vehicles so much that they'll jump into the car or truck the moment the door is open. My 2 big dogs stay home, they don't like vehicles, but my shihtzu loves the ride, and is fine in the truck (in the cab). He has water, food, a blanket, and the climate is not hot. In the winter people keep their vehicles running when they go in shopping, so the heat stays on. No whining, crying, barking, or anything that would show he doesn't like it. He just watches every thing going on, looking very happy.

I got a flat tire one day, and me and the shihtzu hitched a ride to the tire shop, and waited there for someone to go and get the truck and fix it, they loved him there. I would never have left him in the truck then, too many unknowns.

We used to have a big rottweiller that would jump into the truck and stay there if you were working out in the yard. The door would be wide open, and he wouldn't get out. He loved it in there. I had a friend with a convertible once, and anytime the dog went outside, he jumped into the car and stayed there. It's not abusive if they like it there.

I wouldn't leave him in the truck unattended for a long period of time, buy 1/2 hour or less - I don't see the problem. If travelling a long distance, we just stop every couple of hours for a pee, a short walk, and water break.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage
I don't understand why anyone would have a dog, or any other animal, for a pet

I can't understand why anyone fails to grasp the enjoyment having a pet brings into someone's life.

Originally posted by BrianDamageike someone else mentioned, they're wild animals, they should be left in their own natural habitat, imo.

Absolutely inaccurate and incorrect. Domesticated animals like dogs, and cats (although they can 'fend for themselves' a bit better) are not WILD animals. They lack the ability, in most cases, to survive without some human intervention, even if we only inadvertantly provide sustenance by our garbage and refuse. We have bred the 'wild' out a very, very long time ago. The toy breeds, the small ones, are at an even greater disadvantage for feral survival that the larger, more wolf-like breeds.

Originally posted by BrianDamage I do understand having working animals, they are basically a tool, but to have a doggie and then pretend it's a hairy human is perverse.

In a way I agree with you when we try to make the dog a furry human and not a canine who is loved and treated like the animal that they are. My dogs are not my children, but they certainly are companions in my home with also a job to do, which is protect me and mine. Much trouble arises from treating dogs as alpha human babies.

Originally posted by BrianDamage Be honest, how many dog owners speak for their dog, you know, ask it a question and then answer back in a silly voice and pretend it was the dog? That's messed up.

Humor, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Subjectively, what is funny to you will most likely be unamusing to me, and visa-versa. That is one thing makes us frustratingly human.

As this is ATS, how many of you animal owners would like to be abducted by aliens and "domesticated" for their pleasure?

There are a few conspiracy folks that think that is exactly what has happened. I am sure, however, when my dogs get to go on a hike, sleep outside with me and chase deer out of the garden, lay on their comfy beds, or get their bowl of food with a helping of yummy table scraps they are quite content to be a domesticated animal, here at my pleasure.

Anyway, back on topic, yeah, cooking dogs in cars is cruel.
Just a thought, but maybe if you shaved your dogs, they could keep cooler!

Amen to that, at last something we can agree on.

edit on 6/29/2011 by czygyny because: syntax stupidity

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Castogere

So you wouldn't grieve or shed a tear for a buddy that would gladly give his life for you?

God, I read posts like yours and am so thankful for the man I married.

He cried the day we had to have our last dog put down.

Sad, you sound like you are a very cold hearted person.

And you know what, your dog wouldn't think twice about saving you - our Shepard Husky protected my husband and Pug from being attacked................his ashes are in my bottom drawer and will be buried with us.

No heart, souless, sad.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Dogs have many more redeeming qualities than most people.

Just my own observation.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrain17

But isn't that just nature taking its course? Animals kill to eat, they don't care if it's your family pet or not they just see lunch.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Seriously. I've long been told that dogs don't sweat, so they don't even have that going for them. They pant to help cool their bodies down, but what good is that going to do if the air they're breathing in is 120-130 degrees?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It's odd that humans can work all day on roofing and road crews where the temperatures reach 120+ yet no one thinks that's abuse. Leave a dog in a car, in the shade with the windows cracked at 94 degrees and it's torture and $100 fine. Sorry, but that dog was not being abused - not being well cared for is not necessarily abuse.

I love animals as much as anyone but these aren't very good videos of real abuse. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the local news stories about someone with 50 dogs or cats in their home and the floors are lined with feces.

I'm not trying to make light of the issue either - it's a very big concern and a horrible way for any animal to die.
On the other hand there's a great many people with good hearts and intentions that are frankly just butting in to what is other peoples business. That is another danger I see here - the loss of liberty.
Animal control can enter your house without a warrant on the "say-so" of a concerned neighbor. Makes for a great harassment tool for neighbors you don't like.
This isn't just about saving animals from cruel fates, there is more involved here that.

If I see an animal locked in a car on a hot day Im not going to call animal control first.
I'm going to bust the window and get them out and deal with the owner and authorities later.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

Lucy is not a "pet" I hate that term...........she is a companion and a member of our family.

Lucy was 6 hours away from being put into a sealed box with about 12 other dogs and gassed, as is how it is done now because folks, sorry but the needle and floating them down is too expensive.

We kill an average of 8-10 million (and the head guy of the ASPCA I talked to said that number is low) a year, every year.

Why?

Cavemen long ago came to an agreement with some wolves and started breeding them............scientists have found ancient dog bones with human bones.

Cavemen used dogs to pull sleds, carts, keep babies warm in winter by laying with them, guarding, alerting and fighting intruders...........dogs truly are and have been man's best friend.

Do the research, read up on how closely linked humanity's survival was dependant upon and along side of the lowly "dog".

We two species got together and decided to support each other in order to survive and this is how we treat our best friend.

Even now, dogs sniff for bombs, drugs, crooks, bodies (alive and dead), they guide the blind, I'm partially deaf and my dogs have always alerted me to when someone is approaching our home - our Shepard / Husky actually saved my husband from a possible attack, the list goes on and on.....................no you're wrong, the dog was the only animal that openingly agreed to allow man to domesticate him.

BTW: I met a wild wolf when I was around 11 (in girl scouts on a hike) and he let me pet him and rub his tummy.

Not saying I'de walk up to a pack of hungry ones now, but back than I thought he (he was way bigger than me) was a furry husky kind of dog, until the park ranger almost had a stroke.

If it were not for the lowly dog, our ancestors might not have survived, look at the cave paintings of men with spears and their dogs besides them.............hunting dogs.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

We definitely see it here in Texas, but that's simply the idiocy of people. Sadly, what helps underscore that fact, is the number of cases where children are left unattended in cars in similar conditions. Every year there are a handful of cases, just in the Houston area (and I'm betting in other cities and states as well) where a negligent parent or caregiver has left a child to perish in a locked car. If people are capable of doing that to there own species, what makes you think that pets would get any better treatment?

All that said, if you decide to care for a pet, use common sense and understanding. If you wouldn't be comfortable, then perhaps neither would your pet.

ESV

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Seriously. I've long been told that dogs don't sweat, so they don't even have that going for them. They pant to help cool their bodies down, but what good is that going to do if the air they're breathing in is 120-130 degrees?
That is exactly the reason that they can't survive in a closed car in warm weather.

They do have sweat glands, but they only have them between their toes, to the best of my knowledge, so they don't help much at all.

edit on 29-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
OK, We used to raise hunting dogs. We didn't have a puppy mill or mistreated our dogs. In fact I think they were better treated than some children out there...well anyway we had 4. 2 to breed with and 2 males to rent out for breeding with high quality females. Now our dogs were outside year round and we lived in eastern Ontario. Beleive you me. They liked it better outside. Stop fear monguering about pets. We have enough of TPTB doing it for everything else. **** Dogs are way more adaptive than humans.****They will survive way better than humans, And when it comes to heat waves...use common sence which apparently isn't so common. As for the car thing...well some people are bent on having pets when deep down they know they are not fit to be pet owners let alone parents but that doesn't stop them. You should change the thread name to something like " few tips on pet safety" or something like that.

Yes, as a species they are very adaptable, but on an individual breed basis what will work for one type (like your hunting dogs) will not necessarily work for another (I have rottweilers). Yours, with proper time to adjust, will be able to thrive in bitter cold. Mine, no matter how hard I try, will be not able to survive outside in those below-zero temperatures---the genetics and body type will just not allow it. As well, a heavy-bodied, heavily-furred Newfoundland has no business living in our climate that regulary reaches 110°F in the summer.

Each breed has been established to fulfill a role; guarding, herding, hunting, companionship, etc, in climates that can range from dry desert, wet and humid, temperate to frigid. Each was adapted to their respective climes and I definitely think its cruel to try and take a breed out of their comfort zone, but people often do it because people regularly don't think things out very thoroughly and act on impulse.

edit on 6/29/2011 by czygyny because: just 'cause

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

It's vile and actually turns my stomach. People KNOW that dogs die in hot cars, it is constantly said, and it's common sense.

That copper had already killed a spaniel pup via heatstroke a few years back. But apparently he got fuel money if he took his dog with him, so he left them to die in complete stupidity for the sake of £50.

I can't understand it. I really can't.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
humans are not meant to be around other animals we are a cruel Species that only think about our selves and nothing else look at how many people abuse animals hell we even abuse our own species we are a war obsessed species that love killing and hurting many things i for one hate how our species acts makes me sick with what we do in the world but i have hope that we can correct how we act

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenchan`
humans are not meant to be around other animals we are a cruel Species that only think about our selves and nothing else look at how many people abuse animals hell we even abuse our own species we are a war obsessed species that love killing and hurting many things i for one hate how our species acts makes me sick with what we do in the world but i have hope that we can correct how we act
Yeah, we're kind of like tigers and lions in the first and second respects.

We are almost the only warring species.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I would be so guilty.

If I ever seen this going on. I'd bust every window in the car. Extract the victim. Stab all four tires. Completely disable their vehicle. Call the cops. If it was a women who commited the atrocity. I'd man handle the bitch to the nearest unflushed toilet and dunk her head til the cops came and arrested me. If it end ed up being a guy. I'd go to prison. That's all I'm say'in.

I'd literally lose my friggin mind and that's if it were a pet. If the victim were a kid ? That wouldn't be good for anybody with in ten miles.
edit on 29-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

SnF

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Amen! The other day I went to Subway and I noticed a dog sitting in one of the cars. It was a VERY warm day. Sun was at its peak, the windows were cracked open just a little bit and this dog had a turmendous undercoat! Pissed me off! They're inside an air conditioned building, casually munching on a sub and sipping their ice cold drinks while their dog is left baking in the car! People should get fined for doing s*** like that!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Good post............sounds like heaven where you are at.

I live in the burbs of Midwest America so it's different here.

Really sounds like your little corner of the world is heaven.

I know my niece who lived in France said that dogs are allowed more places than here.

Mine would do fine as she is very polite and potty broke not to go inside.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
"Do not leave your dog unattended ever"

Especially if your neighbors think its culturally acceptable to eat them....

I lived in a very affluent suburb of Los Angeles, and had a family who lived a few houses down that would keep dogs in their back yard in cages. I thought that was bad enough, until they would have these big parties and suddenly the dogs would be gone.

They were an asian family. I'm not racist, but I know for a fact some cultures think its ok to eat dogs. They think we're weird for thinking its weird because we eat cows.

Anyways, they got away with this for years, unil finally another neighbor called the cops on them and they got busted. I saw the man of the house led out in handcuffs while his family screamed and cried. I dont think they gave him jail time, as they kept saying "its their culture," but I'm pretty sure they were forbidden from owning dogs, kinda like Mike Vick.

Thats when things really got bad. I dont know if it was out of spite, or these people were just crazy, but the neighbor dogs (who were cherished and loved by their owners) started going missing.

I know for a fact they didnt do it because they were starving, these people lived in a 5 million dollar home, and had half a million worth of mercedes.

We finally ran them out of the neighborhood. Sick MFers!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join