It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Public Service Annoucement ----- Do not leave your dog unattended ever!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206
You do know that dogs live outside don't you? They don't depend on you 100%, they can live without you hold their hands (paw) all the time.

What an ignorant statement...we are talking about domesticated animals here. A dog that is trapped one way or another (fenced yard/hot car/outdoor dog run) without access to shade and water is doomed in the heat. We're not talking about wild dogs that are free to roam the land, burrow the ground and find natural water resources.

Your name says it all.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Some people should really face up to the fact that they shouldn't have a dog. If you don't have a yard or land I'm sorry but you shouldn't have a dog. Taking into account the breed of course, dogs such as bulldogs are fine in apartments.

Some people just can't face up to the fact that they shouldn't have a dog though.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
What's worse? I think giving the dog an extra week to live is best.

Is your thought process that diluted? An animal living in a shelter has a chance. They are around other animals and are fed and cared for.

If a dog is put to sleep, it is done by humane euthanasia. (I still hate to see this happen) This is far far far better than leaving an animal to boil and cook from the inside out.

What is wrong with you people?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I dont get why people still leave dogs in cars either especially on a summer day. This issue is brought up in media here every year and every year you have several idiots doing this.
Sometimes you have even retards leaving their baby in the car with windows closed on a hot summer day.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

How right you are and very good point.

Having a dog, cat, bird or any other animal is a commitment, a responsibility that one takes upon oneself and either fulfills that commitment correctly or fails in that commitment.

If you're going to have a companion animal, you need to give them adequate shelter, food, water and LOVE.

Dogs are pack animals and leaving a dog teathered outside alone is like solitary confinement would be to a human.

Our dog, Lucy was a puppy mill breeder...........unsocialized, unloved, used as a commodity for six years and than when a flashier model came by, Eddie from Rams Farms in Georgia decided to just throw her away to a high kill shelter............someone, a group of someones got together PointerRescue dot org and decided to save her, her brother BO and sister Joy from being gassed.

Do not buy from a pet shop, they support and continue on the puppy mills all for greedy profit.

We kill an average of 8-10 million dogs and cats a year (mostly by gassing, the needle is too expensive).

In short, if you decide to get a dog or cat....................DO YOUR RESEARCH first, really think about if you have the time, patience and money (good vet care is expensive).

A companion animal is like a child, yes they are. They will get into dangerous stuff if left unattended, if you leave your dog in a garage...............make damn sure the anti freeze is really up high and if possible don't even store it in the same room as your dog will be in.

Anti freeze is another danger dogs and cats get into.

In our doggy/kitty CPR Class the number one killer believe it or not is human medication that companion animals get into.............drop your heart pill unknowingly on the rug and fido eats it, good bye fido.

I was surprised about that last bit of info.

Also, many many plants are poisonious to our companion animals.

My back yard is nothing but totally fenced in with grass and a shade tree....................period, nothing else.

BTW: Lavender, which I have on my deck in big clay pots is good for dogs and cats (and humans) acts like a natural calming agent, makes a great tea and drop a bud or two in your wine and let it sit for an hour is heaven

Children and animals have no voice, no say so, no vote, no power................we are their voice, their protectors - if you're going to commit, do it right, not half arse.

If possible, please please please, adopt, rescue don't buy from a pet shop.

I have a full blooded, beautiful, beautiful English Pointer that was six hours away from being gassed.

16 people drove her from Georgia up to Maine, where she was fostered and trained and than drove her to her forever home here in Illinois.

Blessings to www.pointerrescue.org... These are the real animal heros.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f394228a870.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

You are a true hero.............really, I have a lot of respect for your guts, and it took a lot of guts to do what you did sir.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bf38bb62cc0.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm really glad things worked out for you and justice was on your side that day..............others simply talk, you actually took action.

Like I said, your a real man, you with your strength protected someone weaker and in need.

Live long and prosper.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

If I had left my Michael in a car he would have drove off with it.............no joke, the kid was a terror, love him and he finally straightened out (he's now 34) but god leaving a kid in the car

Some people are just really mentally challenged or uncaring...................they can't empathize.

Good post because yes every year the news tells us and every year people just don't seem to get it????

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by isitjustme

What you said, "they will love you unconditionally".............says it all.

Most humans aren't capable of unconditional love, dogs and cats are.

They don't care if your rich or poor, won't leave you if you gain 40-50 pounds, won't tell your secrets or vices to everyone (mine now is starting to talk so I've got to watch it
).

Dogs are loyal, and usually if they are screwed up (mean, vicious) they are either mentally defective or were made that way by guess what? a human.

Good reply.

edit on 29-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I love this thread. Nobody in a position of vulnerability, not a dog, cat, child or elderly disabled Aunt Matilda should be left alone in a car. Period. Aside from temperature extremes there are very sick people out there watching and waiting for the opportunity to prey on the vulnerable. I just read the most vile story of what two evil men did to a toddler boy in Oklahoma (meth head mother let it happen) and these men are still on the loose somewhere. And even if they are caught there are more out there like them. I should know, I was left unattended in my yard as a small child and almost snatched.

And even if you are only going to pop in for a few seconds, concerned passersby might not know how long your dog was left unattended and could call the police on you, and then it's just your word that you were gone for only a minute or two. Also I don't know anyone who has a decent sense of what a "couple of minutes" is when they are doing something and somebody in uncomfortable circumstances is waiting for them.

I don't think Of Human Descent is unreasonable in saying dogs shouldn't be unattended out in the yard, either. On a dog owners list serve I used to subscribe to, over the years we had several members report of kids or teens throwing rocks at their dogs or chucking firecrackers at them and doing other cruel and malicious things. The world has some brave and good people in it but they are almost matched by the number of people who are a waste of oxygen.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

You are a true hero.............really, I have a lot of respect for your guts, and it took a lot of guts to do what you did sir.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bf38bb62cc0.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm really glad things worked out for you and justice was on your side that day..............others simply talk, you actually took action.

Like I said, your a real man, you with your strength protected someone weaker and in need.

Live long and prosper.

Thanks, but it was an easy thing to do considering the fact that I love dogs far more than I love people.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

As a side note: A woman I worked with had a friend a few doors down from her, her friend let her little dog out to go potty and a coyote came by quick as can be and grabbed up her little furbaby.

The neighbors chased it down, it dropped the little dog a #zu I think but it's neck was torn open. They took him/her to the vet and the vet ($1,400) tried to save the poor little thing but it was too late.

Now, where I live, we have across the street a 200 acre field (will never be built on). We have seen possums, an armadillo (honest to god I saw it cross the street one night), coyotes we use to hear, strangely no coyotes howling this year, maybe the city killed them, rabbits, all kinds of birds, even a turtle the size of a dinner plate, all kinds of critters right across from my house..............and my Lucy, while she's a tough little girl, she's only 44.4 pounds.

She doesn't like to go outside at night alone, one of us always goes out with her. She's a Pointer and our fence is only four feet high, she's never attempted to jump it, but I'm watchful, just like I was with my three sons.

My oldest, Mike was a real bugger, love him to pieces but he was a real 'problem child'.............he trained me well.

My Lucy............

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fbe83c1aa3c9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I don't understand why anyone would have a dog, or any other animal, for a pet

Like someone else mentioned, they're wild animals, they should be left in their own natural habitat, imo.
I do understand having working animals, they are basically a tool, but to have a doggie and then pretend it's a hairy human is perverse.
Be honest, how many dog owners speak for their dog, you know, ask it a question and then answer back in a silly voice and pretend it was the dog? That's messed up.

As this is ATS, how many of you animal owners would like to be abducted by aliens and "domesticated" for their pleasure?
Anyway, back on topic, yeah, cooking dogs in cars is cruel.
Just a thought, but maybe if you shaved your dogs, they could keep cooler!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Agreed,my dog is by my side 24/7 she is my best friend,I treat her with love just like I would with my children.

Great post

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I absolutely LOATH with a huge purple Barney passion any one who leaves their pets in a a vehicle unattended ANY time of year. There is simply NO excuse for it. And the "but I left the window cracked and some water in the car for them" excused doesn't cut it. You take your dog with you, keep them with you - otherwise leave em at home. If you have concerns about the animal misbehaving in your house while not home then you should not own a pet or THAT pet specifically.

This has been a HUGE personal pet peave of mine for an incredibly LONG time. I once thought about creating a photo sharing site like tumblr where people can post pictures of pets in cars and publicly call these arseholes out. I may still do this... Put some advertisement in and donate all proceeds to the Humane Society.

S/F OP!
edit on 6/29/2011 by Terrormaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You do know that dogs live outside don't you? They don't depend on you 100%, they can live without you hold their hands (paw) all the time.

Don't assume all dogs are outside dogs. There are dogs that can't live outside and may get killed by coyotes or predatory birds...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage

Like someone else mentioned, they're wild animals, they should be left in their own natural habitat, imo.
I do understand having working animals, they are basically a tool, but to have a doggie and then pretend it's a hairy human is perverse.
Be honest, how many dog owners speak for their dog, you know, ask it a question and then answer back in a silly voice and pretend it was the dog? That's messed up.

As this is ATS, how many of you animal owners would like to be abducted by aliens and "domesticated" for their pleasure?

Don't ever own a dog. Better yet, don't ever have a kid...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17

Don't assume all dogs are outside dogs. There are dogs that can't live outside and may get killed by coyotes or predatory birds...

Then they are a valid link in the food chain, Coyotes and birds gotta eat too.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17

Originally posted by BrianDamage

Don't ever own a dog. Better yet, don't ever have a kid...

Why shouldn't I ever have a child?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

As a side note: A woman I worked with had a friend a few doors down from her, her friend let her little dog out to go potty and a coyote came by quick as can be and grabbed up her little furbaby.

The neighbors chased it down, it dropped the little dog a #zu I think but it's neck was torn open. They took him/her to the vet and the vet ($1,400) tried to save the poor little thing but it was too late.

Now, where I live, we have across the street a 200 acre field (will never be built on). We have seen possums, an armadillo (honest to god I saw it cross the street one night), coyotes we use to hear, strangely no coyotes howling this year, maybe the city killed them, rabbits, all kinds of birds, even a turtle the size of a dinner plate, all kinds of critters right across from my house..............and my Lucy, while she's a tough little girl, she's only 44.4 pounds.

Don't you just love those automatic censors
I learned to spell it shihtzu, they are the greatest little dogs. I don't let mine out of my sight. When it's dark, and I need to go outside with the shihtzu to do his thing, I put him on a leash because he can find places to squeeze through the fence to get out. Even with the reinforcement of the fence, he's still an escape artist. I've had to jump the fence after him, that's exhausting! Pure mischief.

If there are no coyotes right now, they've just moved for a while. They're too smart to all be killed off. When my larger dogs are outside (in their fenced area), and I start to hear the coyotes, I bring the dogs in. My shepherd is part coyote, and she has a weird howl/bark that seems to bring them closer. People accuse me of being over protective, having a fenced 1/2 acre on 10 acres, but last year I saw a fox carrying a huge rabbit through the yard, and a week later, I saw the fox in the back, dead and all torn up. I think a wolf or a pack of coyotes got it.

There was a neighbour down the road from me that has acreage, and her dog stayed in the yard always, and a huge wolf went right up on her back porch and took her dog. They're not shy, even in the daytime.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
OK, We used to raise hunting dogs. We didn't have a puppy mill or mistreated our dogs. In fact I think they were better treated than some children out there...well anyway we had 4. 2 to breed with and 2 males to rent out for breeding with high quality females. Now our dogs were outside year round and we lived in eastern Ontario. Beleive you me. They liked it better outside. Stop fear monguering about pets. We have enough of TPTB doing it for everything else. Dogs are way more adaptive than humans. They will survive way better than humans, And when it comes to heat waves...use common sence which apparently isn't so common. As for the car thing...well some people are bent on having pets when deep down they know they are not fit to be pet owners let alone parents but that doesn't stop them. You should change the thread name to something like " few tips on pet safety" or something like that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join