It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Public Service Annoucement ----- Do not leave your dog unattended ever!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I don't own a pc, sorry. I'm on a cell phone, which also serves as my house phone, and cable.
We go to the dog park about three times a week. I'm not paying for training when I'm always with her, unless I stop to get groceries, and the hottest temperature I've experienced here was 95 degrees, I've only seen it get over 90 a few times. Like I said I don't have ac so on these days I go walk around wall mart to lower my core body temperature. I lap the store like twice, then buy a bottle of cold water and return to my car.

Honestly I think you are a whiner. Just because there is a dog in a car does not mean that its owners are abusive or neglectful. In fact, in my case its because it could be much worse if I left her at my house, not just the mess I would return too, but the dog that would have a heat stroke before I had even gotten to wally world. At least she gets ac the way there, the way back, and a cool 20 oz bottle of aquafina.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GisfridMaillor
Hey Dog owner and lover here.

Your dog does not need to go anywhere with you, it should be in the car only to go to the vet and thats it.

Stop treating dogs like humans.

Star. People don't get it... They leave their babies in the car, they leave their pets in the car...

Irresponsible and dangerous.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

A star for you and you sound like a real nice person.

Amazed at how many insensitive people there are???

A nice cold cement floor or any kind of shelter and plenty of fresh water is good.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Thanks...I had to do something! It's bark/cry called me!

Hey are you sure you are not ofangeldescent??? ;-)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I agree but also disagree,
I agree 100% about never ever leave your dog in the car in the Summer on Hot day's as that IS cruelty to animals.

But,,,,,,,,, when it come's to winter and the cold day's well that is another story.
As i would rather my dog be left in the car in winter where its warmer than dragging him out into the cold with me.
I have my old labrador he is nearly 16 yrs, more human then most humans i know, he was i left in the car for 20 min yesterday. And he is Fine. It was a cold winters day and i thought it was best he stayed in the car.
The windows were down , he had water and a blanket and when i got back to the car he was asleep and snoring away. ( he kind of looked pissed off when i woke him though).
So to all that say never leave your dog unattended or your a bad owner is a bit harsh.

Dont Ever Leave Your Dog Unattended in Summer or hot Days.
But in winter its fine IMO
edit on 28-6-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

You know what, you're right, tomorrow I will be taking my dog back to the humane society where she has already spent too much of her life. then in two weeks when she is transferred to the pound I will go and watch them pu5 my poor baby into eternal sleep. but at least she wouldn't have spent any time in my car, god forbid.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Two recent stories and I kid you not...Local Washington DC

Man falls asleep at a Denny's (or all night restaurant). Staff could not wake him so called the police. He was arrested for drunk in public and thrown in jail. Meanwhile, his dog was in his truck. He pleaded with the police to get his dog....the dog died. The police denied he ever said anything.

Cop shoots a women and she dies (don't know why...under investigation) and unbeknowst to the cop the woman's baby was in her car. You can guess the rest of the story....so sad!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

If it's a hot day and you are just going to the atm.................okay what if, again, what if, you're taking a chance..

What if you got mugged, had a heart attack, a stroke, a seizure, something that detained you?????

If you're going just to a atm, bring fido with you on a leash........take a walk.

I'm still saying, I have seen two dogs that died from being in a over heated car and it was horrible, really horrible.

S%$# happens, you cannot always depend on that you will return to your car on time, in a few minutes.

My dog goes in the car to either a vet appointment, a dog park or training class period.

"Do unto others exactly as you would have them do unto you". and that includes companion animals.

I won't even get into livestock, that's another thread and I am not a 100% vegan yet (working on it).

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Why not? When hundreds of dogs and cats are put to sleep everyday, what does it matter if someone leaves their dog in a car, or isn't a perfect owner? isn't one day out of a shelter, better than an instant death?

Here's a more specific example:
Suppose someone shows up on the day a dog was supposed to be killed. The person adopts the dog and saves it from a certain death. Now what happens if the owner is forgetful. Suppose a week later he forgets his dog in the car and it dies. What's worse? I think giving the dog an extra week to live is best.

I wish every dog could be loved and treated well, but that's not reality. Things are never black and white, right or wrong.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Than call animal cruelty.............turn your back, do not get involved and you might have saved a life.

The world isn't so messed up because of the bad people........it's messed up because of the "good" people that refuse to get involved.

They have no voice, no vote, no say so - we are their voice.

Apathy is just as bad as cruelty.

Each soul is tested - sometimes that test comes in little ways..........Oh I can only worry about my own pets, I'll ignore the hassle this moron is putting his pet through..............you were maybe being tested?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

What if you had been detained? A heart attack, a stroke, something, anything?

If it's freezing cold, leave him/her at home. Or leave a couple blankets and a bowl of water just in case?

But each to his own and you've evidently done a wonderful job as your lab is 15.

Our last dog lived to 18-20? We had him for 15 short years.

Treasure every day together, time goes by too fast.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Or.....you could (as was suggested), just train your dog.

I had the same problems with my dog at first. She's the first dog I've ever had, but I trained her (myself no less) and now I can leave her home alone without worrying how the house will look when I get home.

Pets are only poorly behaved because their "owners" are too lazy to train them.

You're going to kill your pet.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GisfridMaillor

Excellent reply

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bf38bb62cc0.jpg[/atsimg]

I suggest any mod out there moding this to applause you.

Short, sweet and to the point......

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
All I see here is a bunch of crazy, closeminded, thoughtless brainwashed morons who think that animals have no ability to take care of themselves. Mmhmm, I wonder how we made it to this point along the evolutionary line if nothing before us would have stayed alive without our assistance. I'm sorry, but I do nothing but honk of better ways to take care of my animals. Have 5 ferret, a cat and a dog. Hydra, my dog, loves my car, sorry to disappoint whoever thinks dogs want nothing bit a yard and food and water. You say to think of my dog more like I think of myself, well I don't just want a house a stuff to clean, food and water, I like travel, maybe your dog might if you gave it a try. Also I have to drive my dog to the dog park. Or should we walk the whole ten miles. You people are thinking without perspective, just because you have a big yard doesn't mean everyone does, just because you have ac doesn't mean everyone does, just because your too thoughtless to remember your dog is in the car and To cut your trip shorter for her safety doesn't mean that I don't always have my animals on my mind.

I agree, in some cases its not okey to leave an animal in the car, but in the case of those that do not have a yard, the car is a way to either get to a yard or saciate the mental interests of your pet. I'll continue to take my dog to Tue dog park in my car, I will continue to do quick grocery shopping with ky dog in my car, I will continue to take my dog on car trips because she loves it, and ill continue to use my car as an air-conditioning for my dog because otherwise she would not have a home at all. She would be ashes as corpses are creamated at my area pound.

Honestly IDE love to see you try to argue that individuals without yards shouldn't have pets too. That's completely bogus, how many homeless pets do you think your state would have to euthenize if you really believed this. Also, you can't possibly think that euthanasia is a better solution than travel. I agree its a better solution than cooking in a car to death, but I won't let that happen. Learn the meaning of perspective, then apply it, then you may not be such a closeminded moron.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Starred.

God, leaving a baby in the car.........my first born, Michael would have driven the car off at two, no joke. He is ADHD and I had to bring him in with me when I would go potty until hubby came home because he was always into everything............

Cannot believe anyone would leave a baby unattended.

Again, with my three boys, I had to be on them like glue, the oldest (Mike) was really a handful.

Guess he trained me for the rescue dogs and cats that would come into our lives later on.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

People should suffer the same as if they left their child to die in a hot car, animal abusers imo are as bad as anyone who does the same to a person and im apauled that you can buy an animal, then murder it and face no jail time and only have a short ban. If I saw a person abusing an animal in such a way i'd probably steal the animal from them and find it a more suitable home myself. When i've bought dogs in the past I always find it sad how the sellers just want a sale and dont care who its being sold to, I dont think anyone under 18 should be able to buy an animal and a check should be made to make sure that they have no history of abuse. These are living things and its inhumane imo to make them suffer so badly.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

If that's your puppy he/she looks like one happy, pampered pooch...........you're doing something right.

There is that look of "I'm loved" in the eyes you can see.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Not exactly the way I would have worded it. But star nonetheless.

Maybe instead of letting it die in a car it would support your argument better if you left it in your backyard unattended and it jumped the fence and got hit by a car.

People, listen to this, sometimes S*** happens to good people. Can be applied to animals as well. Life is not always fair.
edit on 28-6-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
I agree but also disagree,
I agree 100% about never ever leave your dog in the car in the Summer on Hot day's as that IS cruelty to animals.

So to all that say never leave your dog unattended or your a bad owner is a bit harsh.

Dont Ever Leave Your Dog Unattended in Summer or hot Days.
But in winter its fine IMO

I agree with Meathed.
All situations are different, all dogs are different. I have 3. My oldest, shepherd/coyote is scared of truck rides, the lab doesn't like them much, but my shihtzu wants to never leave my side. He has a special spot in the truck where he can see out.

In the summer, if it's hot out, I do my shopping when it's cooler, in the morning. There's a water dish in the truck. In the winter, when it's bitterly cold, there's a blanket if needed, usually it's too cold to shut off the truck, so the heat is left on.

I let the 2 large dogs out in the fenced yard on their own, they're fine. When the shihtzu needs to go out, I go out too, because he's tiny, and can get out the fence. He'd be like lunch for the coyotes (the wild ones).

If for some reason I need to leave the shihtzu home, I have to shut the shepherd/coyote in a separate area (she gets all the bedrooms to laze around in), so that she doesn't get rough with the shihtzu. She loves him, she just doesn't know how to play with a small dog. The lab is great with the little one, they're best of buds.

Thankfully the climate is much cooler up here, our weather has barely gotten warm enough to worry about, July and August I have to be careful and do my shopping before 10 AM

I live just outside a small town, about 1000 people. If I go into the larger cities at all, which is rare, then I leave the shihtzu home, I'm afraid of someone stealing him.

I've had dogs before too, they were a nightmare to leave home, I lost furniture, walls, couches, the phone, 2 doors. Outside one chewed through the fence, and the gate once the fence was replaced with chain link. Other than that, they were perfect dogs, they came when called, did everything they were told, as long as they were with me. I had total control. In the city, and I didn't even need a leash.

The dogs I have now, are all perfect angels inside or outside, in the truck. They listen perfectly in the house also. But none of them will come when called if they're outside. Zero control.

It's not always just the owner, how they behave, sometimes it's the dynamics between the dogs as well.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by meathed

What if you had been detained? A heart attack, a stroke, something, anything?

I had him parked out the front of work as i talked, i could see the car at all times. ( and im only 34 so i hope i dont have a stroke yet
)

If it's freezing cold, leave him/her at home. Or leave a couple blankets and a bowl of water just in case?

The weather changed when we were out, the rain started and the wind picked up, so the best option was to leave the old bloke in the car wih his blanket and water.

But each to his own and you've evidently done a wonderful job as your lab is 15.

. And thanks

Our last dog lived to 18-20? We had him for 15 short years.

Treasure every day together, time goes by too fast.

I like that " 15 short years".
18 to 20 yrs, thats a great life for a dog, you must have treated your dog well.

And I will treasure each day i have with my friend, as i realise all to well that our journey together must end soon.

Peace mate

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join