It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T wireless 3G and 4G service down in South Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

AT&T wireless 3G and 4G service down in South Florida

www.miamiherald.com

AT&T cell phone users in South Florida suddenly found themselves without 3G and 4G service Tuesday evening.
The trouble began about 6 p.m., AT&T spokeswoman Kelly Starling said. As of close to 8 p.m., crews were working to restore 3G and 4G. Starling said the problem was due to “an issue with one of our switches.”
The area affected stretched between southern Broward and Monroe counties, she said.
Affected customers can switch their phones to the 2G network, also known as EDGE, to use their devices.

Read more: www.miamiherald.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well I'm without cellphone service down here in miami.
AT&T is saying it's a switch?
That must be one hell of a switch.
I wonder if someone hacked the switch and caused the outage.
You would think they would have a redundant switch that they could use and just swap it in place.
Something mission critical like a switch should have a backup.

www.miamiherald.com

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

AT&T is saying it's a switch?
That must be one hell of a switch.
I wonder if someone hacked the switch and caused the outage.
You would think they would have a redundant switch that they could use and just swap it in place.
Something mission critical like a switch should have a backup.

www.miamiherald.com

yes they should have a back switch, obviously someone has not fulfilled their obligations on the other hand not sure about state laws down there, but even an idiot would think of placing a back up switch considering the black out coverage area.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
When you think of telephone and network carrier switches, these are not traditional "turn the lights off" type switches that everyone probably thinks of.

These are large network terminals, and as is the case with any electronics, can fail at any time.

My question is - why is a telephone outage being discussed on ATS?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

www.miamiherald.com

Your phone should automatically pick up the edge network. If you still have no service then I would say AT&T is lying.

EDGE combined with the GPRS 2.5G technology is called EGPRS, and allows peak data rates in the order of 200 kbit/s, just as the original UMTS WCDMA versions, and thus formally fulfills the IMT2000 requirements on 3G systems. However, in practice EDGE is seldom marketed as a 3G system, but a 2.9G system. EDGE shows slightly better system spectral efficiency than the original UMTS and CDMA2000 systems, but it is difficult to reach much higher peak data rates due to the limited GSM spectral bandwidth of 200 kHz, and it is thus a dead end.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If your under contract with at&t then I would be bringing contract law into this scenario to get some free service, a refund or something along those lines as I am sure that during this outage they're technically breaking their contractual obligations to customers under contract.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Ummm, because its alternative breaking news maybe.

Well not breaking as it started at 6 pm.
edit on 28-6-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

My question is - why is a telephone outage being discussed on ATS?

Well since all we do around here is talk about chemtrails, ufo's, bigfoot/cryptozoology, government conspiracies etc etc etc. I figured I'd throw some regular news to spice up the pot.
A curveball if you will.

Besides someone will eventually link this to either Al Queda, Anonymous or some sort of government psy op.

Fun times.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I switched over to Edge on my iPhone and no dice.
Phone service seems to be up again.

Now I'm wondering how a switch could disrupt phone service from west palm to miami.
Unless the switch was broadcasting bad packets or flooding the network with odd requests.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
While it's unlikely, do you think there is any chance that they could be missing a piece of a satellite? Perhaps the unidentified space junk that nearly hit the ISS??

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Sky watcher

I switched over to Edge on my iPhone and no dice.
Phone service seems to be up again.

Now I'm wondering how a switch could disrupt phone service from west palm to miami.
Unless the switch was broadcasting bad packets or flooding the network with odd requests.

A telephone switch can be the size of a small building and handle 100,000's plus calls all that the same time. The name is a little miss leading.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Well they don't specify what type of switch.
Was it a fiber switch?
I don't know. I would assume that it was not a pots switch.
But you never know.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Now the bugs has been removed and the service is also much improved. But still there is an issue with the 4G network consistency.
edit on 14-5-2013 by AmeliaSltr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join