It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Night Vision contacts used in Bin Laden raid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

So this is the known. But what about rumors of scientific advances with something even lower profile? I heard a rumor that the Team guys who busted bin Laden might have been wearing “cat vision” contact lenses that literally give the wearer night vision for a limited time without having to wear the bulky, heavy NVGs. Now, all I’m finding on this is a mention from Popular Science back in 2004. The blink powered night vision contact lenses allow a person to see clearly in low- light environments by enhancing ambient light up to 200 per cent. These lenses use plasma technologies to eliminate the cumbersome and expensive image-intensification tubes used in convention night-vision goggles. The advantages of using the contact lenses above night-vision goggles are 1) full peripheral vision, 2) more comfortable interface, 3) a more cost-effective system, and 4) less disorientation with use. Read more: kitup.military.com... Kit Up!

Link1

Link2

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I actually saw another article on this way back in the day claiming the technology to be a hoax. Im wondering what the members here think. Possible technology or just BS?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

all i know is if they are real i want some.Ps its kind of trippy in the fact they look like Pharaohs with make-up on
edit on 28-6-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

What is the evidence that these were used in the raid? I didn't see that explained in the article.

But, I think its entirely possible.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

I heard a rumor that the Team guys who busted bin Laden might have been wearing "cat vision" contact lenses that literally give the wearer night vision for a limited time without having to wear the bulky, heavy NVGs.

Here's another link that I forgot

Link

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Maybe yes. Maybe no. I don't know about those eyelid covers, but they look pretty cool.

Infrared night goggles without putting them into your eyes are pretty cool too.

I worked on a program where were were developing a product to see if the OTHER side had infrared night goggles.

So WE had night vision,and another piece of equipement to see if the OTHER guys had night vision equipment.

That helps when your running around in the dark,if the other guys can't see YOU, seeing THEM running around.

That's all I'm saying..don't need no hollerating, federating ,want to come get meeee thinggg.

That was 20 years ago,so new things must be out there.

Cool stuff this spy verse spy stuff.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I heard the heavy ones have been reduced in size and weight.

Ya can't buy them at Military Closeouts R Us. Errrr surplus stores...

....and some Miliary stuff ain't for sale anyway. Not the same versions.

Kinda like those knock downed Hummers...Aint the same.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Most special operations groups when performing CQB tactics in a dark environment tend to use Low profile NODs.
The resemble the optometrists eye testing device, but much smaller. The rest of the time the bulkier one as you call it is used universally.

the low profiles are not the monocular version used by a typical soldiers. Also not the single scope type that is a pain in the ass.
edit on 28-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Is it just me that is confused by the 'blink activated' part.

I mean how many times do we blink in a minute never mind the length of a raid. These things will be on and off like a strobe light, unless ive mis understood?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob

So WE had night vision,and another piece of equipement to see if the OTHER guys had night vision equipment.

That's ok, I'll say it for you: scanned NIR laser.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The NV goggles that I have used had a safety shutdown thing built into them if they were used in well lit areas or if someone shined a flashlight in your face so you that you wouldnt be effectively blinded for a few possibly crucial seconds. I wonder how the contacts would handle that issue.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater

Yeah I actually was wondering about this as well. A good friend of mind showed me some video and the lens flare seemed almost blinding. I got the impression the contacts just mildly enhanced vision, not the same as the goggles. Not too effective if a light switch blinds you.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater

Yes, the blinding thing is a movie myth. Image intensifiers use a phospher display which is only capable of emitting so much light. The old Gen1 scopes would be damaged by too much light essentially burning a hole in the phosphor display or causing an arcing fault in the tube due to to much high voltage across the electrodes breaking down isolation. Gen2 and higher scopes have electronics built into the power supply that immediatly auto dims the display depending on how much light is entering the scope. I've watched many bright scenes through my scopes, such as near by muzzle flashes, explosions, flares, laser sights, etc. and it's never caused a blinding effect. That would be useless to solders on the front line. It's like watching TV and the camera man points the camera at the sun. It doesn't fry your eyes. There is only so much light the phosphor display, LCD, or plasma display can produce. The only effect from bright lights is that the scope has dark areas in the display for up to several minutes.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Damn! Thank you for popping in! I'm new and have been pleasantly surprised by the members collective knowledge about pretty much everything. I guess I've got more reading to do!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I actually saw another article on this way back in the day claiming the technology to be a hoax. Im wondering what the members here think. Possible technology or just BS?

The cell phone is a direct link to StarTrex and the inventors have the cell phone have said that StarTrek was their inspiration.

All it takes is for someone to have the idea and it will cause a certain butterfly effect.

I know baseball players used red contacts before they wer banned so that they could pick up the baseball better.

Edit: It says it would be an increase of 200% over normal night vision cap...I dont know if that would be a HUGE difference. It would certainly help though.
edit on 29-6-2011 by armtx because: (no reason given)

top topics

join