It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the USA becoming a Police State?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Answer the question.

What freedoms are being taken away?

your right to confer with an attorney, for one.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
your right to confer with an attorney, for one.

-koji K.

Or a judge, for that matter.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Gadfly, the emperor has no clothes.

What are you saying? Contract run prisons mean "clockwork Orange" type rehabilitation camps? We have them where i live and no one comes out singing "dancing in the rain."

FEMA ya.... what?

INS.... hello?

Name one thing in the Patriot act that infringes on daily civil rights.
Wire Taps? They don't want YOU! They still need permission to tap.

They want the bad guys. He who is the guiltiest yells the loudest.

Allright......who is the clueless one now?
From your avatar it would appear that you have been conditioned by way of the US military machine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all too often, the same old same old comes from you guys and I am not surprised that your remarks slant the way they do. What are you trying to achieve here by continually attempting to refute that which is plainly obvious?

If you haven't dissected the Patriot Act yet then I suggest you get yourself a copy and start reading!

If you honestly think that it doesn't or won't affect you then you are in bigger trouble than you think.

As Hawk mentioned above, they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want without due process or legitimate evidence to substantiate their actions.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
freedom=slavery

war=peace.

(from the soon-to-be-fulfilled "fiction" work of mr. orwell's... (1984))

...but, it's not big brother i'm worried about... it's little brother (dubya).

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
i am not an American, i live in Australia.
but i have spoken to americans and i know of others who have too and these Americans have said that they are scared. but not of Suddam.
during the recent scares, the introduction of the so called 'Patriotic Act' and various other implementation of Bush Addmin. policies, they have said that they are scared to express their opinions, ideas, feelings and veiws.
if this kind of fear exist then we have to ask ourselves; where is and what kind of freedom are we fighting for? that our troops and iraqi people are dying for?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Also remember things will be bad for you if your suspected of terrorism. What you proberly haven't thought of it the definition of the word terrorist. It will be made so broad that ANYONE who questions the actions of govenment could be seen as distrubing the system therefore a suspect terrorist. Remeber bushes words, your with us or against us.

You might laugh at that but you wait. Britian will be much the same, police are already being advised to look for POTENTIAL law breakers. People that MIGHT offend later in life or soon.

Police state. It'll be worse then that. Prision state!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Wasn't it equally bad or worse, during WW2? I mean they were rounding up the Japanese, throwing them in concentration camps, and looking at the german-american population with suspicion. They were hunting down their german sabators, ect. There wasn't the technology there is today, so they couldn't infringe on our rights as efficiently as they are today. but, they did go contrary to the constitution then and onward through the McCarthy period. Actually, they seem to be doing a little better (maybe??) than they did during the war...they're so set in not descriminating against the muslim/arab population (or at least giving that appearance), they are still letting them in the country!!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   

There is no money or influence for you here... leave me alone.

lol....wise words my friend, it would appear as though this is all the government really cares about. i can only hope they will leave you alone, leave us all alone.

total enslavement immenent!!!

alex jones stated that according to the patriot act if you jaywalk you are a terrorist. commiting any criminal act will label you a terrorist. scary indeed, however i do believe the local authorities have there hands rather full with all of the illigal immigrants running around causing trouble. as the economy spirals downwards corruption will run rampant. they will be much too busy to worry about a bunch of conspiracy theory nut cakes like us. or do i have it backwards?

[edit on 11-8-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
forgive me, I'm not that experienced with your forums....
hopefully, I'll learn soon....
accidental posts, edited for at least save some space (should have a delete option on the edit option).

[edit on 11-8-2004 by dawnstar]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Have a search on "the miami model".

It details how the police managed tto beat the hell out of protestors in a highly organized way.

Also encourages the "embedding" of journalists to make sure only good news gets out.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84

There is no money or influence for you here... leave me alone.

lol....wise words my friend, it would appear as though this is all the government really cares about. i can only hope they will leave you alone, leave us all alone.

total enslavement immenent!!!

alex jones stated that according to the patriot act if you jaywalk you are a terrorist. commiting any criminal act will label you a terrorist. scary indeed, however i do believe the local authorities have there hands rather full with all of the illigal immigrants running around causing trouble. as the economy spirals downwards corruption will run rampant. they will be much too busy to worry about a bunch of conspiracy theory nut cakes like us. or do i have it backwards?

[edit on 11-8-2004 by sturod84]

opps!! somehow posted this without my comment....sorry.....

but anyways, I think we can forget about them cracking down on alot of the corruption, since so much of the corruption is being aided and abetted by our politicians...
I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to run the economy into the ground though, and run out of funds to do much of anything, let alone worry about the average american citizen's bad driving habits, drug usage, or other insignificant social errors.

But, if the economy does degrade too far or resources get to scarce, the easier it will get for the gov't to come up with justifiable excuses to remove portions of our population out of the mainstream. (how many jobs were created when that portion or the population(reservists and guardsmen) were removed from the mainstream.. At the height of the german frenzy, rumors abounded in europe that the jews would sacrifice christian children at their alters in the synagogue (sp??). The more destitute and depressed a group gets, the more selfish they become...it becomes easier to accept such stupid accusations, since it might mean a job, food, a home, ect. for you!! Logic and reason seems to evaporate.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

What are you saying? Contract run prisons mean "clockwork Orange" type rehabilitation camps? We have them where i live and no one comes out singing "dancing in the rain."

Exactly- no one comes out singing.

When profit(s) become the motivator then what?

The United States has the highest prison population rate in the world, some 686 per 100,000
of the national population, followed by the Cayman Islands (664), Russia (638), Belarus (554),
Kazakhstan (522), Turkmenistan (489), Belize (459), Bahamas (447), Suriname (437) and
Dominica (420).

Does this tell you anything?

FEMA ya.... what?

Enlighten yourself
It really won't hurt. This is 7 year old write up. FEMA is still there, still slowly creating its infrastructure.

INS.... hello?

I don't know where you live but in Alabama INS routinely makes sweeps and raids. ALABAMA! Now how close is this to a border?

Name one thing in the Patriot act that infringes on daily civil rights.
Wire Taps? They don't want YOU! They still need permission to tap.

What if I were cheating on my wife and didn't want her to know (doh)? Bingo- "uh, we need you to give us some information about your workplace"[[or else]]

The simple fact remains that the government should not have the power to PRY.

Have you paid attention to the Guantanamo detainees?

The FBI now has the power to access our medical and library records. Over 1.5 million documents in Google just on the 'upper web.'

Why is there so much controversy and discord if IT is good?

They want the bad guys. He who is the guiltiest yells the loudest.
Yeah, riiiiight.

Guilty b4 a trial

"THEY"

A little here, a little there- pretty soon there is nothing.

Why should I give up any rights? You can and apparently don't mind. Me, I mind a great deal and I vote and complain continuously.

Originally posted by Immorta
It's true. Some Americans are allowing the terrorists to win. I remember a speech by G. W. Bush where he said that the terrorists want to take Americans' rights and freedoms away. Well, the terrorists aren't doing it, it's the Government. As a result, those who run Government and the terrorists both win. All the while, you have the Americans freedoms going down the drain, with an ever increasing look of a militarized state in the media, with hardly any protests anywhere in America.

In my opinion, America's turning into a PoLiCe StAtE.

If Bush's rating go even further down, you might want to check out this www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">threadwww.abovetopsecret.com....

Nail on the head!

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by redalert
freedom=slavery

war=peace.

(from the soon-to-be-fulfilled "fiction" work of mr. orwell's... (1984))

...but, it's not big brother i'm worried about... it's little brother (dubya).

I would BUMP this but I suppose that isn't appropriate at ATS so I'll add a little

AND the Mr. Good humor man Ashcroft!
(you folks know he lost an election to a dead man, right?)

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
when u guys leaving usa then?? if theres another attack and this police state seems to be put into action...would you leave america?? or stay in your paranoid state?

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Quote from link:
'PATRIOT authorizes the use of "sneak and peek" search warrants in connection with any federal crime, including misdemeanors. A "sneak and peek" warrant authorizes law enforcement officers to enter private premises without the occupant's permission or knowledge and without informing the occupant that such a search was conducted'

This seems like one of the most worrying aspects of the patriot act, government agents can enter your home, have a look around and never even tell you they were there.

This quote was obtained from:
www.eff.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Has the PoliceMen of the Police State of the USofA entered your house yet, without you knowing McGee or anyone else in this thread that happens to LIVE in the US and has commented that there rights are being infringed upon?

Hell, I'm with TruthStrgnrThanFiction.....so when u leaving?.... you freakin' cry-babies, carebear wannabe's.....!

Question for you FEAR mongers: been to England/UK yet? If so, how many camera's you see to a street corner in London, hmmm?

Oh, and don't mind Jakomo, she has always posted anti-US BS and her sentiments of the US are well known, despite how she wishes to guise them.

seekerof

[edit on 15-8-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
So you tell me, I have talked about the detectives here in chicago. How they harass people.

Two days ago I stop at a gas station, I get out a black kid/guy about 18 to 22. He asked me for a 5 cent, I say I dont have it. Then I change my mind and get back in the car and get the cange holder out. I dumped the one nickel and about 20 pennies in his hand. I returned the holder back to the car locked the door as I all ways do getting out of my car, and go in. I get a drink and a snack and thats it, I pay with a charge card. I go out get in the car. Then this car pulls up in away I cant get out, Two men both white, with no uniform on just kevlar and an under shirt with a badge. They are looking at each other mummbling. I am putting my seat belt on and opening my drink. One of the Cops ask If I know the guy I was just talking to. I said, he just asked me for change. The other cop said, asked you for change? I said, Yes. The first cop said, did you give it to him? I said, Yes. Why did you give it to him? the second cop said? I said I felt sorry for him?
The second said, Why did you feel sorry for him? I said he looked like a bum. A Bum? One said. At this they looked at each other and pulled off.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

spittincobra, dude, thats not the Patriot Act thats effecting/affecting you buddy, thats just plain Chicago and the CPD.....

seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There's a demographic reason for the arrival of the Police State in the USA. The population if getting older. A lot older. In a few years, the "baby boom" will be a bunch of old people. Old people are cranky and worried about being attacked by "young punks." They also vote in LARGE numbers. They like security and hate risk.

So, all us old poops are going to vote in whatever government is required to get you little punks to TURN DOWN THAT HORRIBLE MUSIC and respect your elders.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

spittincobra, dude, thats not the Patriot Act thats effecting/affecting you buddy, thats just plain Chicago and the CPD.....

seekerof

I know its not the patriot, But it is illegal, what they do to black people here. Alot illegal search seizure(sp).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join