It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bridge Comes to San Francisco with a Made-In-China Label

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
DAVID BARBOZA, On Sunday June 26, 2011, 1:26 am EDT

— Talk about outsourcing.
At a sprawling manufacturing complex here, hundreds of Chinese laborers are now completing work on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
Next month, the last four of more than two dozen giant steel modules — each with a roadbed segment about half the size of a football field — will be loaded onto a huge ship and transported 6,500 miles to Oakland. There, they will be assembled to fit into the eastern span of the new Bay Bridge.
The project is part of China’s continual move up the global economic value chain — from cheap toys to Apple iPads to commercial jetliners — as it aims to become the world’s civil engineer.

As far as their pay, well.....

Pan Zhongwang, a 55-year-old steel polisher, is a typical Zhenhua worker. He arrives at 7 a.m. and leaves at 11 p.m., often working seven days a week. He lives in a company dorm and earns about $12 a day.
“It used to be $9 a day, now it’s $12,” he said Wednesday morning, while polishing one of the decks for the new Bay Bridge. “Everything is getting more expensive. They should raise our pay.”

No joke.

They also go on to say they don't think they could have gotten such a high quality structure, in four years, from a US contractor.

Seriously, something about this irks me.

Link:finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I said to myself while reading this, how could this be we can't build a bridge cheaper domestically? So I looked around and found an average number of employees on several bridge builds. There were around 1000 people working on the Oakland Bay Bridge between 1400ft. and 2300ft long depending on which side you are crossing. A modest average wage on that sight would be around $20/hour I would guess consecutively. $41,600,000/year to build it the US how ever a public works project could have reduced cost immensely I am sure that there is a lot of skilled people unemployed right now that would have loved to work for less than that average. So I see how it could be cheaper to have China build and ship it but I really think it is unlikely mainly due to the shipping cost.... i don't know maybe my observation is off because I find it as the OP put screwed up.....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
seems as though the economy or atleast this project is being treated like a retard manager does when newly stepping into a business. Looking at the short term costs and going with the less expensive options even though going with the higher cost would have added money to the economy supporting a long term cost structure. Stupid stupid government.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It may well be much cheaper to buy from China at the moment but if we keep on feeding the Dragon it wont be long before all of us are working for peanuts just to survive let alone support our families..

Stop feeding the Dragon.... buy local, it will be far far cheaper in the long run, unless we all want to end up polishing the shoes of the Chinese Uber Rich!
edit on 28-6-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

The assembly work (and pouring the concrete) will be done by Americans, but California Officials say they are saving hundreds of millions of dollars by turning to China.

*Like your user-name. I think many of us could "wear" that these days.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
That Chinese worker is only making $12/day!?

Somebody is getting rich off that man's cheap labor. The "Global Market" has effectively created slave labor.

It's fine and dandy when you are buying the products, but it won't be so fun when YOU become the slave labor. Just a sign of things to come for the American Slave Worker of the future.

edit on 28-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Yes, this is the area I take issue with. Everyone is so "concerned" about the economy, but this begs the question "whose?". Their personal pockets, of course, without regard for what could help the country in getting through this unemployment crunch.

These jobs could have gone a long way in reducing the unemployment rolls in Cali.
So, it's all just lip service. Nobody really gives a rat's derriere. At least not enough to contribute anything towards eliminating the problem.

...San Francisco is always a little off the charts, but seeing all those contracts NYC has made with them, is disturbing too.

Good lord, if they can have them build a BRIDGE (who would have thought?), is there any hope for work for American laborers?
edit on 6/28/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just read this article on yahoo a few minutes ago.

Unbelievable isn't it? My avatar is becoming reality.

Americans should be embarrassed.

S/F
edit on 28-6-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I saw that article on the news and I threw me back in my chair. I thought 'Whuuuut!?'. It reminded me of Obamas' 'green jobs' policy where he spoke of renewable energy and job creation. Turns out he was speaking of wind turbines, so the turbines were outsourced to China. Back on subject....
That story goes to show that any/everything is profit motivated. Were the residents of SF even consulted or informed about outsourcing their faltering economy? Sad, very sad...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

That Chinese worker is only making $12/day!?

Yes, apparently, and just got a raise from $9.00 per day. Also note they work from 7 am to 11 pm, seven days a week.

That's about $84.00 a week for a 112 hour work-week.

How do they function? I would stay sick all the time from extreme exhaustion. Nah, I would leave. Life's too short. Why do they tolerate this crap?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

How do they function? I would stay sick all the time from extreme exhaustion. Nah, I would leave. Life's too short. Why do they tolerate this crap?

They don't have much of a choice against such an oppressive government. They are demanding changes however and more benefits.

Should they ask for too much though, corporations will just move to the next country willing to let it's citizens work for crumbs.

This is why free trade has to end....not just for the US...but for all countries who takes value in it's own industry and populace.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

David, read your own signature.

There has to be a way out, but the US is just as much at fault, as the Chinese. Our economy is always going to suffer as long as this is allowed to continue.

It's a giant roaring train, running over everyone in it's path; and we can't stop it.

All these revolutions going on all over.......I can think of some good candidates for a few more...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Ladyinwaiting, thanks for this post. You apparently are trying to make my head explode.

S&F......

Just when I think things couldn't get more outrageous, this kind of stuff pops up and I have to back inside my private padded cell and bang my head against the wall while I flip my finger up and down between my lips.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A big thank you to the Unions for making this happen.

California law requires Union labor and rules in government construction projects.

California just saved 500 million dollars (1/2 Billion) of money they don't have by doing this.

Unions are killing this nation.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

David, I don't think "embarrassed" would be the correct word here. "Embarrassment" isn't going to light a fire under anyone's as* to challenge these issues. Pure, unadulterated anger, accompanied by fiery hot blasts of molten lava ejecting from our ears, would work better.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Ladyinwaiting, thanks for this post. You apparently are trying to make my head explode.

S&F......

Just when I think things couldn't get more outrageous, this kind of stuff pops up and I have to back inside my private padded cell and bang my head against the wall while I flip my finger up and down between my lips.

I love it!

But it is enough to make anybody crazy! All the whining and moaning and groaning about the economy, and the people who could actually lift a finger to help alleviate some of it, turn their backs.

Alas, California, have you gone nuts? And of course the Chinese are indeed, in a state of slavery, true slavery, and we are aiding in keeping them there. It's deplorable. And embarrassing. I'm truly embarrassed for them. For all of us. To let this greed- filled crazy train, just keep on roaring on it's despicable path.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Just read this article on yahoo a few minutes ago.

Unbelievable isn't it? My avatar is becoming reality.

S/F

It all ready is reality. Have you bought a flag lately?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Unions are killing this nation.

BS.

Free trade is killing this nation. Unions have never been weaker....membership is at all time lows. No tariffs on cheap labor to protect American jobs. That's the problem.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

It all ready is reality. Have you bought a flag lately?

Actually I do know flags are being made in china, that's where I got the avatar in the first place. Was mainly speaking for the country as a whole.

Pathetic though isn't it? We can't even make US flags in the USA.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

You would have got a kick out of the woman I seen at Wal-Mart last year buying a flag for the 4th. She was yelling at everyone about the flag she was about to buy being made in China. I though they were going to throw her out of the store. She just left her buggy and left the store on her own. She was mad and I can not blame her one bit.

"Pathetic though isn't it? We can't even make US flags in the USA. "
And we can not fly them either it seems

edit on 6/28/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join