It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playing the market

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ok just a general chit chat here no big story. Just curious what everyones oppinion on buying stocks right now and seeing how i'm new to the buying/selling was hopeing on any advise the more advance traders may have.I am personally thinking about buying in on Portage Resources Inc(POTG) but I dont know really what I am looking at besides that it jumped up a couple times while I was looking at the stock market thing(again very new dnt even know what its called!lol). By all means educate me!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am not an expert but i would suggest natural resources (gold/silver) in these uncertain times. I have been looking myself recently, so I too am interested to see what is contributed to your thread

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Being that POTG jumped almost 29% in one day... probably not a good idea right now since there will
probably be a sell off tomorrow.

I've been watching the stock market for many years and still can't figure it out. Seems like whenever
some stocks should be going down, they tend to go up. The market as a whole seems to have
defied logic over the years. Personally, I would recommend staying away from it unless your really knowledgable.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
I am not an expert but i would suggest natural resources (gold/silver) in these uncertain times. I have been looking myself recently, so I too am interested to see what is contributed to your thread

Yes... metals are actually down right now and is probably a good time to buy (physical that is).

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
First off, research the company, and learn the terms (put order, short sale, etc.) You can play the market with fake money at www.howthemarketworks.com... and get a feel for how things work. Some stocks have predictable patterns, but don't get caught up in the patterns. If you look at ORCL for the past 12 months, you'll see the stock climb each quarter, then drop after earnings, and then quickly rebound. That trend can be played, but you really have to watch news, understand the particular business sectors, etc.

Don't get caught up in penny stocks or "pump and dump" schemes. You'll see a lot of people on Yahoo message boards and what not, pimping a particular stock. These are people trying to get a penny or two jump, so they can sell, and leave someone else holding the bag of crap. There is also a lot of software that can help to predict trends for day traders, but the good stuff is often times expensive, and if you're new to the game, you'll only be giving yourself two learning curves to get over. Stick to the basics. Profits = good. Losses = bad. Speculation in any market can move it, and move it fast.

My best advice is read, research, read, research, and then ONLY invest (bet) money that you are willing to, and can afford to lose. Once you can understand the game, you'll learn that you can make money whether a stock is going up, or going down, depending on your bet. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
thanks for the responces. So I am gonna take a wild guess from one of the posts I read and ask/state that by "pimping"(lol..love it!) certain stocks you can flood the market somewhat and pretty much gain from a crap stock..?Thats cool in twisted kinda way! I kind of half guessed as much with POTG because it was riseing pretty quick as I was looking at it, but then I wasnt sure. So physical metal is probeably the better investment I am guessing. I just find the stock market to be an intresting new hobby,maybe get good enough to make some money.Anyway thanks again any other info would be appreciated.
edit on 06/08/2011 by cyberboiraves because: nadda

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

OMG! Yet another site I am going to be addicted too!Thanks for posting it..I had it comeing up in the background as I was responding a minute ago so I wasnt really sure what it was about/like..I think Im gonna like this because I can learn without risk.thanks.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberboiraves
thanks for the responces. So I am gonna take a wild guess from one of the posts I read and ask/state that by "pimping"(lol..love it!) certain stocks you can flood the market somewhat and pretty much gain from a crap stock..?Thats cool in twisted kinda way!

Some people have made money that way, but remember, it's highly illegal, and the SEC will investigate people making money in huge bundles. If a penny stock is suspected to be a pump-n-dump, and you made money, you'd best be able to explain your good fortune, or you may get to see the inside of your local federal penitentiary.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Thats good to know!I have much to learn....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I think the best stock is always in ones that there will always be a need for. Such as food and natural resources, these always seem to go up when something bad happens. I'd go with the basics, like corn and wheat and maybe even rice. These types of stocks will always make money, but go for the long term, not the quick buck.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I am an evil commodities speculator.

My personal (not professional) advice is that you neither ask for, nor take, any random financial advice from the intertubes.

That is all.

top topics

join