It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists= useful idiots,...Christians=Brainwashed Lunatics, and I am Alien time traveler from Vela R

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by chrissiel123

LOL I have to give it to ATS in that instance, they really have maintained a well regulated thread in that respect. I have lurked around that 3rd world site and it is a piece of trash. What i mean by that is, there is hardly any regulation and people get into that internet warrior mentality and turn debates into name calling racial slurring, hate mongering BS.
Your Right.

oh believe me there is regulation - very rigid regulation at the "other" site....it just follows a different agenda. DOnt believe me? Go there and make a thread with the word tavistock in the title, and se how fast the mods ban you. They are there in droves, bet there are as many mods as users, and they are lightening fast.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrissiel123

reply to post by davethebear

but one thing you said stuck out. You mentioned up until 2008 as the glorious age of ATS..wonder what could have happened in 2008 to change the atmoshpere.

You want to know?

Humor happened.
I guess what I mean by that was people took themselves less serious than they do now even with more serious topics.
However, there was one thread that sticks out in my mind and I can't find it for my life.
Essentially there was this guy sleeping in his bed with his wife, when he was awakened by a sound. Upon opening his eyes, he sees a ....GOLD FISH MAN LIKE CREATURE... and then proceeds to kick its ass six ways to sunday with the fish putting up a decent fight.
After rolling around on the floor for what I think he said was fie minutes he somehow produced a knife and proceeded to stab the SOB fish man in his "Big fish Eye" repeatedly until it let disappeared.
That my friend was a priceless thread for the sake of humor.

edit on 29-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I could not agree more, well said. I commented in a similar way on the 'scientist' thread the other day and was, obviously, ignored because everyone else was too busy trying to show how smart they are (.......at googling stuff, LOL).

Anyway, thanks for telling it like it is - unfortunately the same celebrity/fame cr*p is everywhere now.....(really, what has Kim Kardashian ever done? She has absolutely no talent and I see better looking women walking down the street every day...........are the younger generations really that gullible?)

Peace and Long Life

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
One of the things I really notice lately is the people complaining about their government pushing a policed state, "Eff the police and their oppressive ways, stand up and fight attitude". Then half of their posts are removed from ATS for breach of terms and rules here. Seems that NO rules are good enough for those, and they have a hard time with ANY society. Including a website society, that ALLOWS the user to speak most openly about their thoughts and beliefs.

Haha.

Also, I'm awesome and no one notices me.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Ya know what pisses me off the most about your post? Where's Elvis?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
This is a reply to the OP's first post (the only one I read in this thread):
That was pretty cutting. I havent been here as long as you so what do I know. I do know this, though: On any decent messageboard the junk posts are going to vastly outweigh the good ones. That doesn't make the good ones any less good. Who cares about stars and flags anyway? Just post good stuff and good people will be there too. I thought that was a given for every "online community" and if anything I'm suprised at how little true garbage there really is here. So what if more people post in threads you don't read? You didn't care what those people thought before they got here so why should you care now either? Just keep on doing your thing.

I agree mostly with the OP. I also agree with you, Partygirl. I've been on here a few years and have noticed the declining ratio of good content (IMO) to relative junk and name calling....which as you say, occurs everywhere people discuss anything, online.

I do think it has been the result, however unintended and however scientifically chaotic (non-linear order) , of the starring and flagging convention. People can satisfy their urges to contribute at least to some degree, simply by clicking. How often does someone only star or only flag? I doubt it is often. In fact I doubt whether more than five percent here, could cogently explain what the difference is between them, without looking it up....including myself. It is primarily an emotional response to a post, and whether that response is rooted in rational thinking or merely the fleeting twinge of someone's hot button, it skews what is seen by anyone coming to the page and deciding what to look at to begin with.

The rules, as quoted above, pretty expressly are designed to keep that from being a major factor. But, then the starring and flagging process accomplish the derailing, in a more subtle fashion many times. Perhaps that could be minimized with slight changes, such as if you star or flag, you must post a comment in order for it to register in the tally. Then the Mods could follow their own judgement as to what are allowed and/or significant comments, and keep the discussions more on the rational side of things. Replies needn't be long or complicated, to contribute usefully to the discussion. But they do require some degree of thoughtfulness. And perhaps that would be enough of a butterfly's wing, nearer the beginning of a topic, to separate the typhoons from the squalls.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Deny ignorance.... Over the years the content of ATS has warped. Most people aren't seeking truth, they are simply trying to validate a point or seek attention. It's really sad that you can go into a thread spitting out half cocked pseudoscience retort with accepted science and get yelled at as a disinfo agent or an idiot. It's sad that folks don't understand some common concepts so they attack them.

ATS is a site to put information out there and analyze it. TO try to get to the bottom of it. It's sad when people let their preconceived notions get in the way of getting to the truth. I believe I am an indigo child so anything you say about the subject isn't relevant because I know its true. I believe in UFOs so every picture must be one. I believe in ghosts so every reflection is a spirit every patch of fog is a spirit. 911 was a government conspiracy so I won't even attempt to wrap my mind around how it could have happened conventionally.

You will never figure out the truth if you go into a topic already certain that your truth is the correct one. It destroys intelligent conversations about the topic. And it is happening in almost every thread in ATS. It's sad. I was explaining the explosive potential of molten aluminum and one guy wouldn't even listen, the rationale was that the government is evil.... lol . Which I don't believe is covered in chemistry, except maybe in North Korea.

I really wish the ratio was reversed. Attempting an intelligent debate with one person only to get derailed by people who can't see past their own preconceived notions.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

What your saying makes sense, but if ATS let every tom dick and harry comment about beating up on the cops Im sure they would be summarily shut down in light of cop shooting conspiracy theorist loner links. Or did I misunderstand your post.

It is a stupid situation no matter what, and I could talk all day about my annoyance with "Peaceful Protest" and how utterly freaking useless it has become. ATS and other site have become in a ay a sounding board for people who have lost control. I guess by posting threads about police state take over and then talking tough on the internet somehow empowers their minds enough to get through the day. Although this has absolutely no effect on the true issue. I am also guilty of being an internet warrior/freedom fighter, and do you know what i changed?

NOT A DAMN THING!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Scytherius

I didn't write about Elvis because he is still alive.. Obviously. lol

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

A good example is someone posting a one line comment and then linking a video asking if the sun flare is a UFO.
Yeah, that's a good example of poor threading, and I don't know why it is allowed.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Really, I just come to ATS to read. I became an "official" member like, 2 days ago, but I'll
probably still just come here to read. If a subject is a total waste of time, I'm with you. Or if
the subject matter is interesting, but the majority of the replies sound like a bunch of nine year old children desperate for attention, yep.... Right there with you. So how about an idea for the upper echelon around here to consider? Maybe provide the option for a post to be publicly read but only allowed replies by members of 2 years or more, five years, whatever. Just as an option. Or perhaps the option to allow replies from a list of only certain trusted contributors of your choosing? Heck I don't know. As long as I can still continue to read them..... Why your at it, see if you can find a way to get folks to STFU on public transportation.
That would be awesome......

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Remember there is two types of Famous.

There is the hard way

Then there's the easy way.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gremlin2011

Yes you are, you are human. And humans are dumb, thus your dumb. But that includes everyone even Stephen hawking. Why? We are inferior monkeys with a limited grasp on intelligence.

You see one word and get offended, like the endless amount of people that commented before reading the entire thread. The edit their post pretending they knew all along.

The op does have a point, ats has lost it's credibility, in fact I kinda hope it gets shut down, because it's at the point where the mods even favor thread of insanity then something logical, and they get so emotionally invested, it makes me ashamed to be on ats.

All anyone does to each other is bash and bash and bash, and you wonder why aliens aren't coming.
What happened to ats? Too many schizophrenics? Either way this site is a good way to keep track of them, and their level of paranoia and such.

In fact, ats has lost so much credibility because some members have gone and done terrible things in the real world at the belief of their delusions. So the FBI and other organizations have to keep track of these threads incase some wacko (like the guy who shot gabby Gillords) makes a plan to kill the "reptiles"(f*cking wacko)

So ats is pretty seen now as a potenial threat, the majority of ats members (or at last half) have some type of mental disorder or another. In a few years they might look to shut you down, if more of ats members start going on a rampage in the streets.

This isn't some goddamn conspiracy, ats isn't a safe haven for you, in fact if you hae a disorder it's making you worse.

Please anyone who needs help and knows it (or you hear voices or emotionally unstable) please do us all a favor, get help. Talk to your family or a doctor. I know it seems exciting to indulge in the latest of conspiracy theories, it's a break away from reality, I understand that. But can you people not see the damage this site is causing to your mental states?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheTinman

That idea sounds nice in theory but I think it would only contribute to further segregation between what ATS considers "elites" and the rest of us. They already have RATS and WATS, and who knows what else.

But I'm' of the same mind as you, i really spend the majority of my time on ATS reading, and commenting. I'm not really a thread starter. I have a total of maybe 60 threads since 2008 which when compared to others isn't much, not to mention most of my threads are not of the Golden content.
From 05 to 08 I was a lurker, tried to sign up in 05 but something happened to my account. still confused about that, my username at that time was GhostRecon1, but I can't find that anymore, and I don't know if it was someone else account or not, not that it matters now.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

If i could give you 100 stars for that please believe I would!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Atheists are useful idiots

Christians are Brainwashed Lunatics

(Introduction) Hi! I am Alien time traveler from Vela Ra, allow me to enlighten you!

I have recreated ancient Egyptian high technology through the power of salvia and meditation,.. maaaan.

I SAW MICHAEL JACKSON AT THE GROCERY STORE,… NO REALLY!

I feel like chicken tonight,… like chicken tonight.

A flying carpet seen in 911 building collapse video proves Islamic connection!!!! (Video!)

This and many other ideas and philosophies have become the staple of ATS forums lately.
In order to contribute what I suppose ATS considers “Decent Material” to this site, you must do one of the following things.

1. Cause people to fight, and openly encourage trolls.

2. Insult other users of ATS in order to make a point, and get noticed.

3. Make statements that are so utterly freaking retarded as to be borderline………..Retarded. (like this statement)

4. Tell everyone who doesn’t believe your BS story that they are a closed minded fool.

5. Post video of things and claim they are something, when they are not, thereby causing every normal human being to facepalm themselves and hang their head in shame at the concept.

6. Introduce yourself on ATS by sneakily turning it into an off topic thread. … Very clever.

7. Create a onetime official ATS horoscope thread.

8. Create a thread wherein you will guess the height and weight of an individual.

9. And maybe,…just maybe, create a thread bitching about all the other pointless and potentially IQ reducing threads that are sprouting up on ATS message boards.

You get the point? The list can go on and on. I have seen in the last few years ATS go from being a decent website where you could proudly be mocked, shunned, and ridiculed for your belief.
To a place where you ONLY get mocked, shunned, and ridiculed for your belief but without the added courtesy of the mental and emotional,…(Can I say this on thread?) …Reach Around.

I will be the first to admit, I am no gem thread starter, and in fact I rarely have enough time to contribute to ATS, though in a stunning turn of events I actually spent 12 hours on here the other night.

ATS is becoming rife with (Alternative Pop Culture).

Wait,…what? Snowen20 in order to deny ignorance why don’t you tell us all what alternative pop culture is, because we at ATS are rational, and of a higher order of intellect. Uhm, okay I’ll do that.

My Definition: (Alternative Pop culture)
(The attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization participating in alternative media.)

What does this mean?
Well it means the following:
A well thought out thread or threads that someone took the time to research and share with ATS gets (almost immediately) pushed to absolute obscurity, and or mediocrity, while threads with titles more fitting for weekly world news or latest celebrity tabloid Hook Line and Sink every hapless thread user on this site.

I was going to give actual examples, but because I actually attempt to follow ATS T&C policy/ manners and decorum I will not give names or actual thread titles.. I think everyone is smart enough to know exactly the kind of scenario I am talking about.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bce94be1a2d.jpg[/atsimg]

How to be famous indeed!
ATS notoriety comes at the barrel of an alien plasma rifle powered by the spirit of Prince William, unicorn Farts, and overarching insults to your intelligence.
I have been on this site since 2005, and relogged in 2008. I have taken this site seriously for the most part as a place where one could disseminate the lies and propaganda which endlessly flow from MSM.
I always tried to be polite, and even now I’m maintaining manners in not exposing the type of threads specifically. I am not a writer, I am not a philosopher, and I am not overly intelligent. I am normal, and I am REAL. When I contribute, I honestly attempt to find something that I feel may interest ATS.

There are several threads where I bitch, one where I complain, and one where I thought, “Ahh screw it lets just write some BS and cash in on it flag wise.” Hence the thread “The Twilight Zone, A Chilean Miner Rescue and one BIG FAT QUESTION” Amazingly enough I actually got 33 flags for that utter nonsense.
This is not about me, it is about everyone on ATS who has ever attempted to contribute, and taken time out of their day to try and improve a website they enjoy, and been passed over for “Madonna cooking her baby in a microwave.”
I have to ask myself what is it I am doing when I sit for an hour writing a thread, and researching information, and compiling it in a way that is easy to read and understand.

There is a trend on ATS, and it goes like this.
Everyone who proclaims they are awakened, everyone who mocks “sheeple” are in essence just as guilty as blindly following popularity as all those people out there in the world so many of us complain about.
The herd mentality does not stop at the doorstep to ATS but rather continues all the way up into the very posts people apply to threads.

Have a nice day.

edit on 28-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

Heh,you almost had me.
I was getting ready to engage troll mode but I pushed the red button in time, no harm done.
Sure flying bears and magical rainbows get front page but I just ignore the threads.
The funny thing is that the threads with a low flag count are the ones I enjoy.
Thanks for the read my friend.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

Well said,..
Does ATS fuel paranoia, most likely, but I think it is like any addictive substance. If it can be taken in moderation there really isn't a problem.
But how many people leap around from one conspiracy site to another eventually landing on ATS to unload their travel experience through the day?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Okay dude... I hope you are not refering to any of my threads and replies or I'd have to kick your...

But seriously? I am glad to get a ban for saying: When I see a post titled 'obama and clinton have an affair', I know that there is something seriously going in the wrong direction.

I signed up to get info based on facts, or even dodgy facts. Most of it is just spam I can compare with watching Illumina-TV. Utter dog-cr@#&!!!

You said what I thought OP. Hope it gets us somewhere, but usually not. Usually the mind numbed masses win. Which means we are screwed.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Sover3igN

I am referring to title similar to what you mentioned.
titles that like I said are more fitting to celebrity tabloids, but with a slight conspiracy twist to it.

I don't want to mention specific threads out of politeness to others who may not actually make a habit of posting bad threads. It may have just been a one time occurrence, so I shouldn't drop names or titles. I too have created my fair share of bombs in the past, everyone makes mistakes.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
One of the things that really irritates me, is when I find an actual decent thread, and then after reading 4 to 5 pages
the topic is no longer being discussed, gets derailed, then turns to an all out argument with people putting others down and not even saying what part of the thread they are relating to. It's a waste of my time. From now if I come across a decent thread I am going to immediately go to the last page first to check if it is still on topic. Another issue I see is a lot of the members that used to post really interesting topics don't start threads anymore, can't blame them IMO, who wants to contribute their time and knowledge with this on-going issue? I joined ATS at the beginning of the year and most of the topics were of actual interest, it creeps me out a bit how fast these changes are happening. Good Post.

Peace, Nova

I love those magazine covers

edit on 29-6-2011 by Novatrino because: added mag covers

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join