It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists= useful idiots,...Christians=Brainwashed Lunatics, and I am Alien time traveler from Vela R

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I like this thread. It has potential.
maybe even the blessed ones will
honour us with an appearance
and few wise words.#

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NerdGoddess
I agree with this thread; I dislike strongly the fact that some ATS users look down upon other members, and sometimes in my opinion, say very rude and uncalled for things to them. I think it is possible for us to correct someone without being rude. If I have the knowledge on a certain topic, and another person on here makes a statement that is completely incorrect, I won't be rude about it, I try to politely let them know the facts, and encourage them to go and learn more on their own. I would hope others here would do the same for me. S&F

Don't get me wrong, I don't like being ridiculed and corrected harshly, but that's not really what this thread is about per se.
Allow me to be egotistical and Paraphrase myself from 2008 in a thread about space fish.
"Rudeness is the main business of ATS and business is good."

But overall your right, I don't like it either but I'm not really whining about it, it's not that big of a deal. Dude above just said he was doing my mom,..well okay whatever floats your boat. i can't take internet concepts too serious or I would become paranoid and join a conspiracy theory site.
edit on 28-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
LMAO

Xcellent words

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

What! You mean I might be graced by the likes of slayer69 or Boondock saint, perhaps even, I mean I know it is presumptuous of me and perhaps even a little foolish, but ....perhaps I may even be visited by the one the only,...Phage...

Oh listen to me going on like a silly child,...well whatever happens I'm sure it will put the blush back in my cheeks.

* that's me attempting to be a 19th century British woman in a corset.*

Im a guy and that was a British woman fail.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I see.....You have set an elaborate trap.
The ascended ones will soon be yours.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I will answer that question, and I'll try hard to stay on topic otherwise I will be summarily dismissed to ATS rant, in the wastelands of BTS....Gosh,...I don't want that!

So, No I not really interested in any one person visiting this, nor am I yelling up into the skies surrounding MT Olympus, I doubt I would be heard anyway. However, I just find it funny that among other things the more "color" you have bordering your profile box, the more you can get away with. Moreover, the more you get attention for being sloppy.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I think the admins are restructuring the flagging procedure...

According to SkepticOverlord:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We've said it countless of times, and it seems we need to continue saying it over-and-over, just to stem the tide (not eliminate) of those who assume "someone" at "ATS" is "controlling" the content.

The site is programmed in such a way that even I, the person who programmed it, cannot dictate which topics appear where on all the pages that aggregate the top-flagged and most-replied threads. For example, these pages:
Site Home
Top Topics (most-flagged)
Hot Topics (most-replied)
30-day Overview (most-flagged & most-replied)
ATS Real-Time (time-sensitive new threads)

DISCLAIMER: However, there have been rare occasions where an extremely important thread/topic was hard-coded into one of the top-two positions on the site home -- typically because of very hot thread (such as the Japan earthquake) or a sponsored thread as a companion to an ad campaign (such as the werewolf topic not long ago). But in the handful of these cases, we made it clear what was happening.

That being said, we (staff) have from time to time discussed the issues members raise about flagging on ATS, and the occasional topic that receives a high amount of flags, which then turns out to be not what everyone expected -- such as the recent "I am a scientist" hoax.

The flagging system is intended to provide our members with a rather significant tool to "crowd source" the editorial management of topics on ATS. With that "members in control" intent in mind, we (ATS staff and management) would never consider inappropriately subverting or otherwise influencing the system.

However, we (staff) do realize ATS has experienced some rather significant evolution since the flagging system was first introduced, and we often discuss possible alterations. Since the core ideal is to ensure our members only flag that which is important to them, change is often resisted. But, it's being discussed again and the possibility of refinement is on the table. I can't promise what form it might take, or if there will be any change at all -- only that we recognize some of the concerns and are considering potential alterations.

Stay tuned.

So ya...things will be changing soon...and then we can have threads about how that new way sucks and the old way of random flagging was soo wonderful as it gave a chance for all sorts of new and wacky ideas to hit the top.

incidently, is the redneck vampire related to batboy? now that is a topic worthy of front page

Thanks for sharing that info, I was wondering.
Bat boy is the offspring of redneck vampire, I know because the birth happened in my home town, that was a scary occasion...NO REALLY!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have seen this as well. Most of my threads have
been a bit crappy, too lazy to construct a decent one.
Some of my threads have been ok and have been
ignored, only to be regurgitated by someone
more *learned* than me, and then gets flagged to death.

Ah maybe someday

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
You don't understand ATS at all... Give it a shot here, you will see what it is all really about, you could not be further from the truth, with your assumptions.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Atheists are useful idiots

Hey, who are you calling useful?

A well thought out thread or threads that someone took the time to research and share with ATS gets (almost immediately) pushed to absolute obscurity, and or mediocrity, while threads with titles more fitting for weekly world news or latest celebrity tabloid Hook Line and Sink every hapless thread user on this site.

Sad but true.

PS:I know you don't care about stars and flags, so I'm not giving you any.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Flag it,and push it onto the front page
2nd

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Can you prove your statement?
I have been here as long as you, and the experience has been hit and miss on many occasions with content contribution. Not just by me, but by many people.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

ATS is actually fairly even headed for a conspiracy site, at least the boards I frequent seem to be. Although I admit there is far too much name calling and, as with most of the internet, ATS is dripping with sarcasm. Of course there's plenty of crazy to go around as well but hey, its a conspiracy site, it's supposed to be full of out-there fringe ideas and battles royale between skeptics and believers. All part of the fun verbal circus that is ATS

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I gave everyone at least one star on this thread
so as to avoid squabbling about status,except the very clever person.

He got no points, and may God have mercy on his superior soul.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jeanvaljean

your right, a comment like that deserves a star.
Star for you.
By the way, I was thinking about opening a 7eleven franchise at a bus terminal, I am now having second thoughts about this, because I'm concerned that my inability to maintain attraction on this site will somehow in a weird karmic way rub off on that business, thus causing me to close it down.

Isn't that weird?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I give everyone stars.
I'm the original "PAY IT FORWARD ATS GUY" accept NO imitations.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Out of all the frustration conjured up by the exponentially increasing amount of trolling, lunacy and egotism; a new question arises:

Is it on the shoulders of the less-than-competent individuals making useless posts and threads to cut it out, or is it up to the individual to apply more discernment with regards to which posts they browse and interact within? The logical answer lies in a sweet combination of the two. In practice, those who choose to utilize rationality and discernment will have to sift a little deeper into the trash pile to find those threads that warrant intelligent discussion.

It stinks, but there is only so much censors are capable of. Luckily for us most of the insanely ignorant threads give themselves away in the title.

I would not hold out on more stringent doctrines and censoring as people seem to eat this sensationalistic crap up. More hits means more money for ATS. More money for ATS means happy ownership and a well-maintained and FAST site for everyone.

Funny part about those who sensationalize just about everything is that they do the exact same things the much-hated "MSM" do but on their own terms, so it is okay, by their warped and self-centered logic at least.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Well, I wil accept that.
i guess what I am saying (which I didn't really emphasize in my op) is that the craziness comes in waves. Of course this has always been the case,but like a woman travailing in labor, the wave lengths are getting closer together. I think this is one reason ATS keeps shifting to higher and higher levels of special status threads. OR basically "members only|"
Originally I remember BTS and ATS. Then instead of cracking down on weirdness, they simply defer the issue to a different part of the site where you have to be of a higher order.

If one were to ask, are you writing for flags, or writing for the purpose of sharing information? I would say I want to share info, flags and stars are a result of that.
But ATS openly promotes competition, this is obvious, and I'm naturally competitive. So this is a recipe for disaster!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I'm on ATS mainly because I find the topics interesting and like offering opinions and new information to them whenever I can. Like you said stars and flags are just a bonus, I'm not in this as some kinda popularity contest, it's just a fun way to spend spare time discussing fringe ideas.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

This statement rings truer than most, and encapsulates my sentiments exactly.
I have been guilty of visiting and participating in some of the threads you are referring to. I thought to myself while there, "why am I replying to this?" I have on many occasion clicked the reply button only to stare blankly at the screen wondering what I can really say that will be worth anything in a thread that is for all intense and purposes ridiculous, or already answered.

I make a conscious effort to avoid threads like 911, Abortion, and other things that are highly emotional to people, because the debate degenerates so quickly that its scary.

Well I wonder if ATS would be willing to sell me their site.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join