It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning on heading for the hills or the woods when you hear the SHTF? You are not wanted.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I guess you're not a star trek watcher then. Sorry, cyborgs is what they are. They're apparently a collective of robotic individuals whose information is freely transferred between the entire population. Not unlike the way our society transfers info around using the internet. However, the cyborg don't pick and choose what info to keep and spread, everything is permanently and continuously accessible to every individual within the Borg populous. I'm not actually a star trek fan myself, my father was though, so it lead to some interesting conversations growing up.

They would assimilatethe knowledge of humans into their collective without concern for life, through sheer overwhelming power they would take what they wanted, resistance of the Borg assimilation was futile.
The reference was basically to show where I was getting the quote that applied to the situation fairly well.
edit on 28-6-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
ive gone camping and never experienced this horrible situation your talking bout, seems a lil ridiculous.

I can tell you what NightskyeB4Dawn says is true. I lived the first part of my life in the city and went camping alot, but I've lived on 50 remote acres in Texas for over 10 years and all the critters plus more are out there. Over time you get to know what's what. Also, there are some wild edible plants, and some that can kill or make you sick just by chewing a small portion. There are many dangers out in the woods that ppl are unaware of, and the biggest danger is the well-armed owner who is already and has been making preparations for such an event, including trespassers and protecting their home. In fact small farming communities have already come together for such an event and have plan A, B and backup for that.. banding together and sharing our own resources.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

when the shtf after the city folk lute and slaughter each other when the citys runs dry, they will walk out in groves to devour the land. Where I live is 150 miles through a hot arid desert to the nearest big city. If the make it to my area there is a small city population less then 40,000. Whoever survives to this point still hasn't reached my area, another 26 miles into a more dry arid desert is a small private community with 25 families spread out across 150 acres, inbetween us and our small city is a large lake, the bridge gets me over the lake (this bridge can fall ya know). On the opposite direction about 20 miles away is a very fast flowing river and the property owners are liken to vigilantes. I've discussed a scenario liken to this thread topic, and we will stand side by side against the city dwellers if they even get to us. The desert is loaded with nasty critters, snakes, bobcats, scorpions, wolfspiders, any many other dasturdly creatures.
Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
folks wake up,
Red Dawn only works in the movies.

In real life, they would have been snuffed
out by a Reaper Drone.

IMO, less than 50% will ever get to this
point of having to deal with critters.

Between the Rapture and the coming cosmic
events, more than half will be gone before ever
needing a bug out bag.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
Look at it this way.....

If you can't beat them, join them.

I can guarantee you, no matter what the size of your land, no matter what ammunitions you have, no matter what you do you can't beat everyone, by yourself, you'll make it maybe a week before your overwhelmed by force in numbers. The best thing one with land can do to protect him/herself is to allow others to share ones land and resources.

You'll find it is always easier to just work together.

Oh, when it comes to allergens and weaknesses, I'm personally excited to see the process of natural selection reenacted as the government has been severely weakening the human species for the past 70 years severly.

Wait I have been preparing for my size family, you people who think there will be morals and values and will get handouts, that is an illusion. When the shtf it will be about every man for yourself, dont count on a freebie snatch of anything from people well prepared

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What the OP is saying is, it won't be as easy as so many "survivalists" seem to want to portray. Wilderness living in the rough is hard flippin' work.

Water. Food. Fire. Shelter. Other than fire, you're going to rapidly find that other critters, human and other, will want those, too.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

The reference was basically to show where I was getting the quote that applied to the situation fairly well.

Thanks, Dark....maybe it's time I acquire the Star Trek box set.........

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wytewingdove
In fact small farming communities have already come together for such an event and have plan A, B and backup for that.. banding together and sharing our own resources.

I lived my whole life in a remote area that you speak of, and find most of what you say is true, except for the part about small farming communities, those back up plans only apply to 1 or 2 % percent of the population and they are mostly families who live near each other.

--------

When the SHTF those farmers will not be able to protect all of their resources, there is way to much space to cover for even a small community.

Another thing about bugs and critters, it's mostly a seasonal thing...Plus it all amounts to your clothing for protection, the outdoor environment can be quite comfortable if you dress right.

edit on 28-6-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

you didn't read his thread did you????
he's not talking about "His" property rights...
he's trying to warn about about all the critters that will bite ya stab ya or sick ya....
some of those are indeed deadly...

You didn't UNDERSTAND his thread. His first job was to warn off folks. Then he used "There are bad critters out there," to finish the job.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think the way the OP comes across is leading people to feel a little defensive.

I may live in the suburbia now, but I grew up in the country. However, my children are not used to it, so I have been working on it. We recently had a little adventure where I took them to a fishing hole I used to spend a lot of time at as a child. We had to hike quite a distance, watch out for rattle snakes, climb through blackberry bushes, ect. There are also mt. lions known to that area. By the end socks, shoelaces and pant legs were full of stickers. and the kids got lessons in checking for ticks. Two were found. Overall it was a great learning experience, even though we didn't catch any fish, but then you can't always rely on being able to catch your food. Luckily it was a great place to show them edible plants.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WheresJesusAt

In that time many wont survive .probably myself included .I can hunt fish gather but im 62 and will stay on my 2 acers..its true you cant do it all yourself ..the ants the op talks about are fire ants..stay out of the citys.roveing gangs of hungry will kill you for your last can of vienna susage!..

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Yes, they will. That's why, in the runup to events, you need to prepare as best you can. An during the events themselves keep your head down. Shelter up, if at all possible, and await better times, hopefully. It's all you can do, really...

Running off, willy-nilly, to the "hills" is just going to get you and yours hurt and/or killed. Unfamiliar territory is dangerous territory.

If at all possible, you stay put, and hope you have enough of those vienna sausages.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The unholy nemesis of the UK? Feral children & wasps.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
What the OP is saying is, it won't be as easy as so many "survivalists" seem to want to portray. Wilderness living in the rough is hard flippin' work.

Water. Food. Fire. Shelter. Other than fire, you're going to rapidly find that other critters, human and other, will want those, too.

A little off topic perhaps, but your post just reminded me. I was thinking just the other day about my mother and aunts telling me how life was for them in the early 1930's. They lived in rural east Tennessee and had to get water from a well, cook on a wood-burning stove, hot or cold weather and had oil lamps for lighting. They also made most of their own clothes and my grandmother even made her own soap. On top of all this, they had a large garden and canned their own vegetables and fruits and had a smoke house for hams for food for the winter months. I can't even imagine how hard life was then. But they always said it was just normal for them and most people they knew. I actually have one of my grandma's wash boards in my kitchen.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I am not talking about Farmer Rick, or any other human landowner on whomever’s land you may be trespassing.

I am talking about the real owners of the land

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Hard any way you go..Let someone know you have food and you are done .You will have to harden yourself.There will be no law no big brother. Hope to survive till things settle down then come out to help rebuild mankind

If the event is total econimic collapse then we will be invaded..if that happens there wont be enough people left to fight and win. I liked the movie Red Dawn..but it was a movie..im afraid we will become the new China / Mexico / Russia I will die fighting in that case..same event of a mass die off here for what ever reason..America will cease to be

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I really don't understand why anyone would feel defensive unless they did not read my entire post.

I am not attacking anyone.

I posted this after my brother came to visit bringing my city dwelling nieces and nephews.

I am sorry if my sense of humor offends.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I understand the critters in the wild..but in those days you will find the citys even more dangerous to live in .There will be no water no utilitys no free food stamp cards..ferall packs of dogs and people.not to mention the rise of the same insects and vermin.Hard life either way .

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

What you posted should not offend anyone..you simply stated the truth..you spoke from experience..S&F for you

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Ya know I live in one of those small farming communities right now and I can say forget the SHTF with the cost of fuel and fertilizer going up and up and up... pretty soon there isnt going to be anymore family farms... take a look at how many farm auctions are going on right now... it's like a scene out the grapes of wrath

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join