It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this really happening right in my neighborhood?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Reading through the news on yahoo's front page...this headline jumped out and almost bit me, as it is right in my back yard so to speak. Very rarely does anything happen in Wyoming that makes national news, and even more seldom is it something of this magnitude, so you can imagine my shock as I saw the headline, and read through the article.

Special Report: A little house of secrets on the Great Plainse

Here is a little bit from the opening report and a link to the rest of the story:

SHELL GAMES: A Reuters Investigation

Articles in this series are exploring the extent and impact of corporate secrecy in the United States.

CHEYENNE/ATLANTA (Reuters) - The secretive business havens of Cyprus and the Cayman Islands face a potent rival: Cheyenne, Wyoming.

At a single address in this sleepy city of 60,000 people, more than 2,000 companies are registered. The building, 2710 Thomes Avenue, isn't a shimmering skyscraper filled with A-list corporations. It's a 1,700-square-foot brick house with a manicured lawn, a few blocks from the State Capitol.

Neighbors say they see little activity there besides regular mail deliveries and a woman who steps outside for smoke breaks. Inside, however, the walls of the main room are covered floor to ceiling with numbered mailboxes labeled as corporate "suites." A bulky copy machine sits in the kitchen. In the living room, a woman in a headset answers calls and sorts bushels of mail.

LINK

I have to wonder how common this sort of thing really is, and why the heck is it happening here in my backyard...not that mine is any different...but this is very shocking news for such a small town.

I am very curious as to ATS members take on this...and how often things like this are really happening.

Note to mods: Feel free to move this thread if this is not the right forum, or make any changes you deem necessary. Thanks.

edit on 28-6-2011 by jerryznv because: add pics...

edit on 28-6-2011 by jerryznv because: fixed link...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's definitely shady ... I've never really heard of such a thing, but I could imagine the implications... a foreign based company could open a "suite" in this "office" and declare it it's place of business .. or someone could launder money by piping through several of these types of things...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Happens all the time. I work in the collection industry and it is not uncommon for us to find a debtor who has dozens of shell companies, all LEGAL, that they are filtering money through.

Walt Disney used over 100 shell companies to buy all that land in Orlando. He knew as soon as people found it was him they would raise the price on that swamp land to outrageous prices.

He bought nearly 800 acres before they figured it out.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
It's definitely shady ... I've never really heard of such a thing, but I could imagine the implications... a foreign based company could open a "suite" in this "office" and declare it it's place of business .. or someone could launder money by piping through several of these types of things...

That was my first reaction too...trying to imagine the implications that this kind of thing could mean...I guess the shock value for me is the fact that it is right here, and wondering how common it is just seems mind blowing at best.

It seems like it could be quite common, but really this is the first time I have heard of such a thing too...very shady indeed in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
In your backyard is one thing.

A few blocks from the State Capitol is what rings bells.

So is it YOUR backyard or is it the State Capitol's backyard?

IMO.

Thanks

SnF

edit on 28-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
In your backyard is one thing.

A few blocks from the State Capitol is what rings bells.

So is it YOUR backyard or is it the State Capitol's backyard?

IMO.

Thanks

SnF

edit on 28-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Later on in the report it discusses some of the same things happening nation wide...so really I suppose one could argue it is all of our backyards...if that is what you mean.

I agree that in the State Capitol makes it seem all the more sinister (quick easy access to scandalous happening galore) to put it lightly...there is certainly more to this story for certain, and implications could run very deep.

If my suspicions are correct, I think we would be none too surprised to find out who, and what type of people have their hands dirty in this kind of thing everyday.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The link got 404'ed

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Iam afraid it happens more then we no. I work for a large busness here in Arizona and they have busness sign up in your state so that the arizona goverment dont go after them for coflict of intrest infact one of the family members is on one of the state boards here to help pay of or shut the door on any complaints on them and they have been doing it for years and it seems that your state knows things like this happens but they let it for the extra money they get from all the busness that do these things [ sorry about my spelling and gramer in a hurry]

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

You might try it again...I had to correct the link...the first one did get 404'd...but this one seems to be sticking so far...might have been a mistake on my part...either way...this new one seems to be working now!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by john1287

One of my thoughts was on the neighbors and the complaints they must have...assuming there is a ton of activity over there with mail services and such...but I wondered how complaints from some of local and state parties was recieved...I guess there is hush money available for them too.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
sounds just like one of Soros' financial networks.
it is my estimation that there is more money
illegally laundered into and out of the US than
there is national debt.

but who's counting ???

S&F

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

One of my thoughts was on the neighbors and the complaints they must have...assuming there is a ton of activity over there with mail services and such...but I wondered how complaints from some of local and state parties was recieved...I guess there is hush money available for them too.
millions each year and what is really bad some hi up in the state let it happen Some one I know very close to me his hole family was threaten if he did not keep his mouth shut ( he moved to Texas ) they even have alot of contracts to do jobs for the state a lot of money is being made and tossed around Lets face it the goverment is messed up and theres not a dam thing we can do about it.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

It does make a person curious about how difficult it would be to get ahold of some of the records, and how in depth they go....given a little research time and enough information...a very large part of the national scheme and it's workings could possibly be uncovered for sure.

No doubt this has bad, bad, bad written all over it!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by john1287

Originally posted by jerryznv

millions each year and what is really bad some hi up in the state let it happen Some one I know very close to me his hole family was threaten if he did not keep his mouth shut ( he moved to Texas ) they even have alot of contracts to do jobs for the state a lot of money is being made and tossed around Lets face it the goverment is messed up and theres not a dam thing we can do about it.
diffrent busness under diffrent names same owner useing mail boxes from that state

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
In todays economy, I wouldn't expect anything less; most people will do anything to stay alive. (or greedy enough to swindle more money)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I came across a similar thing 11years back.Two doors up from my old workplace (a retail outlet,in a Main St),there was a small computer repair shop.The building it'self was not that small,but from the inside front it was partitioned by a large counter and wall.Turns out that it was a front for the C.I.B,Criminal Investigation Branch.There were plain clothed cops and courier drivers in and out of there all day.Would have loved to have seen how it was wired and set up behind that wall? Having seen this for myself,I now believe these kind of things are everywhere hidden in plain sight.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I must be really dense, what illegal/immoral activities are going on in that house? What are the companies even using the house for?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
I must be really dense, what illegal/immoral activities are going on in that house? What are the companies even using the house for?
no your not dense you are just starting to see what some of us know.
One thing is that if you have a post office box up there ( iam in Arizona) and you buy an hi dollor motor home signing it as if you live there you pay 80% less in taxs then you would here its just a place to hide and advoid paying taxes and to hide other busness that you dont want found

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I imagine Wyoming has very low corporate tax rates, or possibly grants of some sort, or some other incentives, that makes having an office there financially beneficial.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

My first guess was low tax rates too.

Now I'm not so sure... it would seem WY doesn't require the names or addresses of officers to be registered to incorporate?

www.bizfilings.com...

That is a strange rule that would indicate nefarious purposes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join