It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COINTELPRO: Mind control and Conspiracy Forums like ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

If you think ATS is a goldmine, iPhones, Facebook and Twitter are the treasuries of Midas. ATS is minor compared to the growing social engineering networks. We can build entire detailed profiles from one's cell phone and social network activity. Everything anyone does can be monitored, archived, and analyzed.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I agree. I may well do a thread on Facebook soon. The CIA have a hand in that pie but it can wait until I'm in the mood.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

Oddly enough, yes.

The chaff from the wheat analogy comes to mind.

That's not something that usually comes to mind whilst spending an inordinate amount of time on ATS, not that I'm worried necessarily about being targeted somehow. I'm harmless. But it should have, I suppose...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The 'Indigo' connection was interesting to me because in my study and search I was coming to the conclusion that all things 'Indigo' were started for covert and not very nice reasons but trying to trace back to beginnings didn't take me to CIA, FBI etc. except peripherally. Things are always someone's brainchild in the beginning and that someone generally has something foul in them just like the foulness from the indigo dye trade that before a non-organic substitute was found used to kill and sicken those involved in producing the dye.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter
reply to post by Pimander

Being an ex ICA (Intelligence Community analyst)...of NSA/DHS intelligence information

If the first part is true, you'd know that the primary NSA missions are SIGINT and information security, with a recent addition of US network security.

Most of the content sifting on websites comes from agencies other than NSA. I've seen way WAY more content analysis of websites done by military branches and DIA than you can shake a stick at. Lots of your tax dollars have gone to elaborate web data acquisition and analysis installations tied back to the JCS at the root. There's a rather nice one here in Tampa you pay beaucoup bucks for.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by johncarter

This site is too valuable to be closed. Its vast membership serves a purpose to both NSA and DHS Clandestine Service as one of many great intel gathering sites on the world wide web.

OK, you hooked me with this one... Care to elucidate further? These purposes are?

Sounds like he's saying sites like ATS are great places to get a barometer reading, and a consensus of what CT's think. Also great places to pose a simple question, and get a consensus on the answer.

There's the obvious. It's a reason I come here, out of personal curiosity.

It's a nice concentration point. If a project's sprung a leak, you might see some distorted version of something show up here, AvLeak, Janes, Fark, military.com, CP1 or whatnot.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This might seem old hat to some but the tips at the end of the video are very practical. People should do what they can to protect both their privacy and their ability to speak their minds.
The COINTELPRO of the 1960's was horribly crude compared to today's spying and disinformation programs. The difference is in the order of billions of X magnitude.
The motivation behind these programs is what I find the most questionable of all. Had they enjoyed 100% success at "maintaining the existing order" minorities would still all live in ghettos, gay and handicapped people would face job discrimination and heavy industries could still make our environment toxic with impunity.
Change can often be a good thing, especially when it is driven by the desires of a majority of the population. Allowing only a small cliche of people to make the important decisions for us all is a recipe for disaster.
Sadly enough given the fact they have both the money and the technology on their side our voices will be stifled, silenced and drowned out by a cacophony of sock puppets and computer generated aliases.
The only thing we have on our side is a passion for the truth and justice.
I pray it will be enough.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Nice try but not entirely correct. NSA/CSS collects SIGINT from various sources, including foreign communications, radar and other electronic systems. As a Defense Agency, NSA operates under the authority of the Department of Defense. As a member of the Intelligence Community, NSA also operates under the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. Executive Order 12333 authorizes agencies of the Intelligence Community to obtain reliable intelligence information, consistent with applicable Federal law and EO 12333, with full consideration of the rights of U.S. persons. The executive order, however, prohibits the collection, retention, or dissemination of information about U.S. persons except pursuant to procedures established by the head of the agency and if established as necessary for national security, such information is shared with other agencies like DHS, ICE, CIA, and FBI.

John

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Cointelpro doesn't have to do anything here. Honestly, the UFO/Conspiracy community is its own worst enemy. There's simply enough noise to data ratio here that the later is lost in the former. This is why these subjects get ridiculed by the mainstream, all they see is the noise.

I have a growing dissatisfaction with the site, as it seems that noise is encouraged, since it drives traffic. Oh, there's always been noise, but there's less and less here to see, to discuss and explore than there was.

I use noise cancelling headphones. They work really well..

hear of em?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Bedlam

Nice try but not entirely correct. NSA/CSS collects SIGINT from various sources, including foreign communications, radar and other electronic systems. As a Defense Agency, NSA operates under the authority of the Department of Defense. As a member of the Intelligence Community, NSA also operates under the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. Executive Order 12333 authorizes agencies of the Intelligence Community to obtain reliable intelligence information, consistent with applicable Federal law and EO 12333, with full consideration of the rights of U.S. persons.

Yes, and these are the overall structures that each member of the intelligence community operates within. And inside that structure, the NSA's mission is SIGINT and information security, with the new addition of information assurance. Each intel community member has its own focus, and set of mission parameters that they operate within.

To that end, DIA and the various military branches are tasked to scan Internet assets for info (or opsec violations) of possible military significance, a parameter that's a bit wide and results in them scanning domestic assets as well, although they supposedly only retain data on US nationals within their bailiwick (opsec violations for DIA, for instance) or metadata concerning relationships between people and/or their habits.

That's how you get projects like Able Danger.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

a parameter that's a bit wide and results in them scanning domestic assets as well, although they supposedly only retain data on US nationals within their bailiwick (opsec violations for DIA, for instance) or metadata concerning relationships between people and/or their habits. That's how you get projects like Able Danger.
reply to post by Bedlam

Well, can´t argue that.

You seem unusually well-informed about the business, that is, compared to most here. Interesting.

John

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

a parameter that's a bit wide and results in them scanning domestic assets as well, although they supposedly only retain data on US nationals within their bailiwick (opsec violations for DIA, for instance) or metadata concerning relationships between people and/or their habits. That's how you get projects like Able Danger.
reply to post by Bedlam

Well, can´t argue that.

You seem unusually well-informed about the business, that is, compared to most here. Interesting.

John

Besides which, the ATF, FBI, DHS, hell even the USCG are regarded as US intelligence agencies - but they can and do retain info on US nationals.

Even NSA can, if the thing fits within a USSID that allows for it. For example, if the conversation's got one dirty foot. Or for forums like this, if one of the posters on the thread is a FORN, and they intercept traffic that rings the bells, they can't look at the forum until it's "internationalized". So they drop an email to Nigel on the other side of the wall at Pine Gap and ask him to check in - "Hi, I'm Nigel, from Australia and I'm new here!!" bingo, it's fair game.

Truthfully, though, the only times I've gotten into hot water for postings it's been DHS or DIA. Not that I didn't ask for it. I am now Officially Reformed®.

ETA - And DOE, let's not forget that one, although DIA was the one that dropped the dime on me to them. It was a bad week.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Their job is actually very easy, seeing as they know what's true and what's not. They can ignore the countless an alien named bigfoot abducted me while I was sleeping, and probed me threads, and focus all of their disinfo tactics on the real threats to their security. You know, the threads that get a little too close to the truth.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm inclined to agree with someone who said
"sites like ATS were invented to keep people busy, who aren't so easily distracted by Farmville"
or something like that

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The agents of COINTELPRO: sway the post to cause bickering and personal attacks, then their jobs is done. It takes away more focus on the topic, just causing members to dislike each other and distract from the facts.

Cause the dissidents in question to dislike each other, fights will ensue, nothing will advance.

Not saying they are members of this site for sure, but they may stop by...at least observe. On another note, with some threads, lets say after page 3, turning to noting but arguments, makes you wonder. Or are members really that against each other...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The very nature of this site makes it vulnerable to both Counter-intelligence operations and Psychological operations. everyone here is basically anonymous. One person with the proper resources and multiple accounts could start a conspiracy movement with almost no effort. Many people on ATS completely suspend their ability for rational thought in order to live in a fantasy world that they prefer to the real world. This makes them easy targets for manipulators that give them the emotional payoffs they crave. The cure for this is a "real world" investigation program carried out by normal everyday people. I don't mean just googling and mining YouTube for videos. People need to get out and network, make connections and think rationally. People should be collecting evidence not secondhand stories. Are there conspiracies ? YES? There always have been. But if you don't start playing The Game, The Game is going to play you.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I would like to remind the Op and everyone
that communication is a 2-way street.

They may be watching us,
but that also allows us to watch them

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

That's assuming you know who they are. I'm pretty sure though, that some posters on here are actually bots. I can't really explain why I think that. But, looking at some posts it just seems like something you would see from Cleverbot.

One problem may be that a lot of posters just assume that individuals who start the arguments are dis-info agents. On the contrary, some of these dis-info agens may in fact be attempting to actually spread their disinformation in a "positive" way. Very much like a cult leader they would assume the role of a charismatic leader so that individuals are more likely to listen to what they say.

Something that should be considered also is that ATS itself may have been created for the purposes of data collection, spying, and the spread of disinformation among other things.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I believe most of the members here that others are quick to label "Disinfo agents" are actually young adults(punks
) that just want to get a rise out of the other members. Its easy to act like a complete jack a$$ when your behind a computor screen. Its that immature additude of nanny nanny boo boo you cant get me! hahaha.
I believe that alphebet agencies watch ATS but I seriously doubt they pay people to derail threads. just my 2 cents.

~much love~

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Originally posted by Jadette
Cointelpro doesn't have to do anything here. Honestly, the UFO/Conspiracy community is its own worst enemy. There's simply enough noise to data ratio here that the later is lost in the former. This is why these subjects get ridiculed by the mainstream, all they see is the noise.

I have a growing dissatisfaction with the site, as it seems that noise is encouraged, since it drives traffic. Oh, there's always been noise, but there's less and less here to see, to discuss and explore than there was.

The noise has almost become deafening.

Real data isn't flashly and Dan Brown enough for the average conspiracy fan.

The site doesn't need any help from the FBI or CIA. Conspiracy fans are doing enough damage on their own.

If they really don't want the info you seek to be known, I think this would be one of the best ways to hide it, if they are not willing to go through all the noise to find the info they are trying to hide then they will not find it. Either that are talking about this info on the web would have stopped long ago. So the noise is a good thing

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join