It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost Art Of The Gut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Gut instinct that is. Intuition, a hunch, that feeling you get when something is either right or wrong. We live in a society that has become increasingly dependent on quick information, facts, figures, and logic on which to base all of our decisions and beliefs. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with those, in and of themselves. But has it fostered our gradual inability to listen to our own inner voice?

How many times have you thought one way, and did something else, only to find your first impression was right? That’s not to say that intuition is foolproof, because there are factors that can influence it. And some are more intuitive and perceptive than others. But as a whole, depending on how much we are in touch with our own psyche, our gut may very well be one of the best tools we were born with, and gradually learn to use or suppress.

It seems to me our whole system has become structured around the idea that we can’t trust ourselves. Our perceptions, and our instincts have no value in our day to day lives. Not to us, not to anyone. And our society seems to be geared to suppress, cloud, and muddy our innate ability to use what I believe to be the true sixth sense. Intuition.

Yet hunters, trackers, cops, soldiers, and other professions frequently rely on it, as well as their training.

Are you still in touch with that part of yourself?
Have you nurtured and honed that built-in discernment?
Or have you allowed it to atrophy?

Have you lost the art of the gut?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sure I have had this feeling many times, and its good I have that because sometimes its useful.

I think it can best be described as primal instinct, like you would be walking in the African wilderness, and your gut feeling just says that there is a lion watching from the bushes.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I have often wondered if intuition isn't the forgotten sense. I like using and relying on my intuition when I am at a loss for the"right choice".

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I believe we are taught not to use our instincts.

This might account for the 80% of our brain we do not use.

I believe we are taught to ignore our dreams and intuition.

I think we should be honing this skill, not shutting it off.

We are after all, "Spiritual Beings".

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You should read this book:

BLINK

Proves your idea beyond a shadow of a doubt...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

Sounds like an interesting book. And definitely along the lines I'm talking about.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Personally I believe Jung when he said that intuition and synchronicity were manifestations of us accessing the group mind. I think those taps on the shoulder we get from inside are a latent ability to access group knowledge, especially when it is going to bare directly upon us.

I really think this is an area we should be exploring more, if we've lost the ability due to lack of use surly a concerted effort by enough people could manifest it again.
edit on 28/6/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I am very in touch with my gut. Problem is, i don't always listen, and it has bitten me several times....Its very hard to listen, because once you start going down the path your gut tells you to go down....you begin to second guess yourself.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Imhotepsol

Yes. I definitely believe Jung was onto something here. I see both as probabilities though. An innate ability within ourselves, and also an ability to tap into that collective when needed. Thanks for the input.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

My pleasure mate. Good thread

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernutty

Isn't that just life
We call it Murphys law. What can go wrong will go wrong. When you trust your gut it's usually wrong, when you don't listen it's always right. Sometimes we can't win for loosing but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I am trying to further hone my gut so as to make it more reliable. I have had instincts, and "feelings" for years. Sometimes I ignored them due to peer pressure. Like I would express I didn't like popular so and so, and everyone would look at me like I was off. Later something would always happen to support my first impressions.
I wish I had a dollar for every "You were right" but I don't gloat because the first issue of being kind of banished for my opionion stings more then any feeling of "I told you so" - to be honest. "Knowing" had caused me discomfort in life. I stick more to myself now. I find in this respect a great deal of interest in a site called Eyes for Lies, its a woman that blogs about seeing the truth in people and why. Micro expressions and what not, she is a "truth wizard" check her out.

I have also had the very strange experience of clairaudiance a couple of times in my life - this is when you think you "hear" something - in these events I have always been taken aback and surprised by them. They come out of nowhere, are not repititive. They have always concerned my Love life. Like I heard "You will marry this guy" about a fellow that I did not marry. Years and Years later I heard "This is the One" (he was not) I have heard these one line commands totally randomly. And they are like one line commands - not dialog. I've come to wonder if it is dead female ancestors who are themselves excited by the prospects. (But that is craaaazzzzy thinking) In any regard this part of my "gut" - these few and rare clairaudiance episodes have been incorrect.

So that brings me to the other "senses" and my kind of knowing or seeing of things. I think in my case it is about sensing levels of energy - and there is science to back this up. It is sort of a side hobby of mine to work on this. It could just be I have a natural ability to spot trends, as I have done this professionally - I might just see the bigger picture slightly ahead of others - but maybe that is because I am concentrating on it.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

It could just be I have a natural ability to spot trends, as I have done this professionally - I might just see the bigger picture slightly ahead of others - but maybe that is because I am concentrating on it.

You have touched on something else I've pondered. I think we unconsciously hone those intuitive skills in different areas of our life. A profession, a hobby, etc. The more we trust our knowledge and abilities in a given area of our lives, the more likely we are to trust our instincts there as well.

By the same token, the less we trust ourselves in a given area, the less we rely on our instincts. And possibly the reason you have stronger impressions in some things, and not others.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

It seems to me our whole system has become structured around the idea that we can’t trust ourselves. Our perceptions, and our instincts have no value in our day to day lives. Not to us, not to anyone. And our society seems to be geared to suppress, cloud, and muddy our innate ability to use what I believe to be the true sixth sense. Intuition.

How right you are. Our "guts", our "instincts", our subconscious (?), gets suppressed at quite an early age by our intellectually driven schooling. Our brains become educated while our emotional and instinctual parts get left in the dust.

Look around at the people you know and you can easily verify this. What are their core emotional strivings? All instinctual behavior revolves around sex, food, and power. This instinctual part of us has not been educated and allowed to grow into a more substantial role because of the lopsided form of education we all (most) receive as children.

Imagine what our intuitions would be capable of were they educated with the same deliberateness as our "head-brains" are.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Yet hunters, trackers, cops, soldiers, and other professions frequently rely on it, as well as their training.

That's because the above professions all deal with unpredictability, and they are often faced with choices that have to made quick, and a well thought-out decision isn't an option.

Are you still in touch with that part of yourself?
Have you nurtured and honed that built-in discernment?
Or have you allowed it to atrophy?

Have you lost the art of the gut?

I think it comes down to conditioning. If you have ever went with your gut and it was correct, you start to trust it, however, if you have went with your gut and you were terribly wrong, you second guess it and rely on another method for decision making.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

This can be a kind of chicken or the egg thing. Are we good at things because they come naturally, or does it seem things we become good at seem natural? Pratice must play a part in this.

I was once at a very elite military training event. All upper top tier rank. (I was just staff) They administered the Myers-Brigg almost all of us (they let me take it for fun) scored and ISTJ so this intrigued me. Where we naturally so, or did we develop into . . . ? This is not a very common score in the general population but in our group of more then 200 about 95% or more cut this score.
(The Myers-Brigg is a personality test - and a graduate level paper could probably be written on this topic of this group all cutting the same score.)

Anyhow - I am out now. Have been for some time and I am trying to regain my natural personality after years of being in the military. (I am naturally a tree hugging hippie chick) I took the Myers-Brigg again and my test had very significantly changed! WOW

So I've been on a journey with this stuff. It interests me and I am trying to get better at it and not discount it - I think the best way to work on these skills is to set aside time to meditate or daydream, to be still. There is so much noise and distraction you have to be able to find a place of sort of inner peace to tape into that 'Knowing" zone. Thats what works for me anyway.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

I have asked myself the same question. But for me, it always comes back to two things. Trust, and recognition.
Do I trust my instincts? In some areas, I'm definitely comfortable with my intuition. In other areas, not so much. And it's in those areas where recognition becomes a problem. Many times, it's only after the fact, that I realize my gut was telling me the right way to go.

I do agree that quiet time to meditate, daydream, and silence our chattery minds is important. And aids in developing our discernment in life.

edit on 6/28/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I've always thought that 'intuition' should be included in addition to the '5 senses'. The accuracy of my intuition a lot of times is shocking to even me.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I always follow my "feeling".
Even against advices. You can call it whatever you want but "gut" can't be wrong

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RightInTwo

Some are definitely more sensitive, and also give heed more than the rest of us do.

Great quote by Einstein. I think he just summed up my OP in two lines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join