It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"One Save Games" to hit market, limit used sales, only lets you play game once thru

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is just like the old Divx dvds that they sold at Circuit City way back in the day, where you could only watch the movie once then had to throw away the disc or buy "viewing credits" to watch it again. How did that work out? Yeah...history already shows us what will happen with this strategy.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Everyone say goodbye to Capcom Inc. as this will probably be their demise I suspect in the long run. This is one sure way to alienate you client base. Love to know the guy running the show over there, background credentials to even suggest this business plan. You will see no on buying these particular games I'll bet once word spreads. I know I wont be buying any Capcom games at all as a DIRECT result of this in particular. I hope someone over there is a member of this site and reads this.
edit on 6/28/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
you know if they want to combat it i say they should just follow steams model. i LOVE the way they store games and not having to use a disc is a huge bonus. i know i always bought them game and installed it. the next step was finding a no CD crack!!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
People need to calm down. It does sound terrible, but it can't work for anything but cartridge-based systems where the game saves data on the cartridge itself. This means they'll probably try to push it mostly on the DS and 3DS, possibly on the Vita too but nobody knows enough about it yet to make an educated guess.

Besides, the market is moving more and more towards digital distribution anyways. Much better solution to the "problem" even though the used game market really isn't a problem anyways.

Maybe and maybe not. What if they start this mess?
THIS DVD/CD WILL SELF DESTRUCT

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

That is a somewhat different issue, but it's not so different from merely renting a game.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

That's interesting.

You'd think enviro-nazi's would be all over that. As it is regular DVD's and CD's are piling up in landfills like crazy. A one-use disposable DVD is just egregious.

Towns and cities all over America are placing draconian bans on plastic shopping bags and water bottles in the name of the environment and that's just the tip of the iceberg if trash piling into landfills is really their concern.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
reply to post by fixer1967

That is a somewhat different issue, but it's not so different from merely renting a game.

Well yes and no. My point is that if you buy a game for $50 or $60 and after a week of so it is nothing more than a frisbee to play fetch with the dog and not even good for that. The games had better be dirt cheap or the company that goes this way will not be around long.
This trend is going to put a lot of CDs and DVDs in the landfills

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
that would work but it still defeats the spirit of ownership. so if i install it on a computer and say a year down the road mu HD crashes then how do i get the game back. seems like just a dirty trick to me. someone really needs to sue them and win. like when iphone was cancelling service on people that jail broke theirs. courts ruled once you bought it then it is your. all they could do is cancell your warranty.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

As a gamer this idea is like a double-edged sword. On the one hand I could see it working alright for certain games if the game companies sell a FULL game and a Once Thru version. There are some games I might only want to play once through, game franchises that I wouldn't be interested in shelling out 60 bucks for up front so a cheaper Once Thru version would be ideal. However that doesn't seem to be what they're doing here... they seem to be taking the greedy route though I fail to see how this will work for console gaming where the save data is on a console hard-drive and not on disc. I also don't see how this could work for multiplayer games either.

I do see one other consequence, if the next person who gets the game has to start over from wherever I stop don't they also get all the achievements I unlocked and the items I collected? So couldn't I then charge friends money for getting them to a certain point in the game before I pass the disc off and capitalize on capcom's stupidity

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
First its Ubisoft with their "you have to be online and connected to play" now this. Videogames are an expensive habit, and alot of us gamers are willing to spend the money to get the games we want. What me and alot of my fellow gamer friends will not put up with is popping 60.00 on a game to be limited in how we play it.
Alot of games now have trophies which people are crazy about getting, some have dual roles (good and evil playstyles) some have alternate endings etc. Alot of gamers like the games that have a large replay value and live up to their 60+ dollar price tag.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sempul

"ownership" is just one more thing we are losing in the messed up world of today. It makes me sick to see this crap but it is here to stay. I see a day coming when you will have to pay by the year to use anything and everything. There very computer you are viewing this on will have to have a yearly payment or it will just stop working. Face it , that is the world of tomorrow where you own nothing but everything is used by you on a rental bases. There will even be a day to come where the car you drive will never be yours or the house you live in as well. Maybe even the clothes you ware will all be nothing more than a rental.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yeah, no one is going to go for that.... If they do that, they better lower their prices by about $50.00 if they hope to make anything off of that.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
dosent stan lee own capcom and marvel and all that stuff why dont we ask him what he thinks of this put it int he form of would he sell comics that you could only read once and then have to destroy them> i dont think he would aprove of this....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

that sucks, oh well, it looks like i will have to make sure that when i buy a game it is not made by capcom.
how they see this as a selling point i have no idea, if i buy a game it is mine to do as i please, if i want to give it to a friend then i will.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
dosent stan lee own capcom and marvel and all that stuff why dont we ask him what he thinks of this put it int he form of would he sell comics that you could only read once and then have to destroy them> i dont think he would aprove of this....

Stan Lee was one of the creators of Marvel, but I don't think he owns Marvel. I doubt he has anything to do with capcom unless it has to do with artistic direction.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The term "replay value" exists for a reason. It makes the game a more attractive buy, if the buyer can play different classes, strategies, weaponry etc etc. -- it's just a big part of the total landscape of the game. If you remove that, this additional bonus is completely gone, and the monetary value of the game becomes less.

So I seriously doubt this will ever take off. I played through a couple of my favorite games at least 3 times. None of my copies are pirated or anything, I paid in full. If I knew I couldn't do that, I wouldn't bother to buy.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
What also gets on my nerve is DLP. People buy a game, pay full price for it and 3 weeks after the release the company comes out with downloadable content that should have been included in the game the first time around.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I am in complete agreement with your sentiment here. This is one of the reasons why I'm such an advocate of opensource and am going to school right now.

The turning point will be when they tell us we can't make programs because the idea has already been used.

I hope this company faces a colossal fail.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
I hope Capcom and anyone else stupid enough to try this die a slow painful death.

Wow...and people say video games make people violent. Wonder why.

Makes you feel a little worried about some people's limits.

MM
edit on 28-6-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Yeah, no one is going to go for that.... If they do that, they better lower their prices by about $50.00 if they hope to make anything off of that.

That's what I was thinking. What if these games are only 5-10 bucks?

I mean...that would be kinda cool. How many games do you buy only to beat once and then throw in the dust bin? One-play games may actually be a better buy for crappy one-play-value games. Making Capcom a hero.

MM

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join