It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"One Save Games" to hit market, limit used sales, only lets you play game once thru

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
www.dailytech.com...

"With new video games hitting store shelves at $60 a pop, it's easy to see why the used game market is a successful one. Not everyone can afford to buy every new title as it comes out, so resorting to a used copy or swapping with friends is the next best thing. But now, Capcom is putting an end to any chance of saving some money by introducing one-save games."

"One-save games make certain video games a one-time-only soiree. Once you play through the game entirely, unlocking all of the hidden treasures and extras, a user will not be able to erase the game's data and start over again. What does this mean? The next person who plays a used copy can only continue playing the saved data with that particular player's settings, and cannot start over fresh for their own personal gaming experience. "

I hope Capcom and anyone else stupid enough to try this die a slow painful death. I also hope consumers are smart enough not to buy these games. Unfortunately when these games do hit the used market they will be dirt cheap, prompting buyers like parents and grandparents to buy them out of cheapness, not knowing little timmy's gift will only be a fraction of the game or a completed one with nothing to play.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
They'd better only charge about 5 dollars for the games then

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
How are they putting that stuff on the DVDs? I'm not too worried about it, the hackers are always 10 steps ahead of the designers and there will be ways available to get around it.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
lol no problem capcom . I will make sure to upload and download more games ten folds more then i do now .

Keep pushing it capcom . I will go out of my way to make sure people get free copies of your one save games

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wouldnt this be limited to cartridge games?

I noticed the first try will be a DS game. Those are already some of the most pirated games ever. So what will this do? Give you one more reason not to bother buying the game and push the user to pirating.

At best it'll have a lot of consumers waiting for the price to drop since they cant count on recouping anything with the resale of the used game.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Just about to post this.. Haha and the games will probably be cheaper cause no one is going to pay $60 to play a game once

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
so that means once i play it once i cant reset it and start over to replay it if i want? thats some BS right there! so whats the purpose of even getting it?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
this must be the dumbest corporate scam i have heard in a while. I dont understand why they complain about their games being pirated then

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This won't work. ever!

First, if they implement this sales will drop on a massive scale. I for one won't buy does games. Not because
I want to sell it on, but because I hate these kind of dumb ideas to combat pirates.
It's like buying a couch but nobody can sit on it but you.

Second, with all they try to invent to combat piracy their will be 100 alternatives made by people like you and me.

And how are they going to spot if that game is been played before if their is no safe game present on the HDD?
I mean, when you sell or lend out your game you don't include the HDD, atleast I don't.
So does every game get it's unique code? i'm guessing they store this online.

I don't see it working.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
When I play a game, I play it through multiple times, trying diferent things, taking several "paths" to win the game.

If Capcom or any other game dev and marketing group take on this method of game design, I will no longer, support their games, or the company, and will be one of the many posting about htis evil where others will see.

This defeats the point ot owning a "game". and turns it into something even less then a rental.

Complete idiocy and lunacy,

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This just makes me angry. if I buy something I was complete ownership to do as I please with the item, after all I paid for it.
If I want to play the damn thing 100 times or lend it to a couple of mates, I should bloody well be able to.
It's like ebooks and movies only viewable with a particular device.
Lets not forget the price gouging that Australia cops with most forms of entertainment. we pay so much more for the exact same product. It's either a global market or it isn't.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnis

This defeats the point ot owning a "game". and turns it into something even less then a rental.

Complete idiocy and lunacy,

It's a flavor of the future of all software whether its an application an office suite or a game.

Everything will be subscription based. The asinine "cloud" will hold our credit card numbers and regulate what we can and cannot access from our terminals.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I like playing a good game over from the start so I doubt I'll be buying any of them. They should put it on the box if it's a one save game but they probably won't, you'll find out when you get it home. Just like years ago when you found out those cool graphics on the box where from a cut-scene and all your game play characters looked like crap.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If this is true i will never buy a video game again.. i cant stand these corporations anymore, they are becoming very greedy!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Most capcom gamse suck eggs anyway. Heck, most of the games out now suck. Looking to the horizon, there are only a handful of games coming out that are worth playing. If any of these have this crap on them, I wont be buying them.

On another note, why isnt this in BTS?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

i will not buy these games if this does happen
even if they are cheap my kids finish games
very quick and i think thats bad enough
so i hope they have put this on here to
see the reactions of gamers on ats
and can see we will not have this.....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
LMAO is capcom losing it's mind here? First they allow online play on their sports games for only new games (through registration), now they want to use the monsanto model. They must be crazy, because video gamers are quick to boycott. Personally I will never buy another of their products ever again. The nerve.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
People need to calm down. It does sound terrible, but it can't work for anything but cartridge-based systems where the game saves data on the cartridge itself. This means they'll probably try to push it mostly on the DS and 3DS, possibly on the Vita too but nobody knows enough about it yet to make an educated guess.

Besides, the market is moving more and more towards digital distribution anyways. Much better solution to the "problem" even though the used game market really isn't a problem anyways.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

Capcom will have a lot of disgruntled people on their hands once they find out they can only play once through as one character. I usually play the game about 10% to realize the class I picked sucked and usually start over with a new character.

This is suicide for Capcom.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Any plans made to reduce the used market and to have people buy new products without the ability to test themout first, regardless whether plan is implemented or not deserves all the critism that it gets.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join