It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What muslims really think about Terrorism, Democracy and the West

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I think people care more about what muslims in the USA and the UK think about terrorism than what Turkish muslims think about it. Not to mention, whether we like it or not, eastern muslims see it from a totally different perspective.

My guess would be that muslims in the West and the U.S. have similar stats to the muslims in Turkey.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Very interesting statistics but they are just statistics and are not representative of all Muslims or even the entire population of the states surveyed. For example I am sure these results would be very different if the tribal regions of Pakistan were questioned as opposed to more urban areas around Islamabad. I am also rather perplexed as to why other states such as Yemen, Syria, UAE and Saudi Arabia are not included nor are those from outside the Middle East, for me this shows that this survey does not provide a full picture.

My guess would be that Syria, Yemen and Saudi Arabia are a little more on the Fundamentalist and anti-western side of things. Odd that they werent included.

Iran seems to be split 50-50.

I basically don’t like that entire group of statistics it’s far too narrow.

You're right. They are not comprehensive. The point was more to give an idea of the kind of diversity we are dealing with when referring to "muslims" as a generalization.

Another question that I can’t say I am happy with is asking whether the individual identifies with moderates or fundamentalists. The term “fundamentalist” tends to have negative connotations and for that reason many might want to declare themselves moderate despite appearing to us to be fundamentalists. Then again there could be others who do not think their beliefs should be categorised as being moderate or fundamentalist for their beliefs just are.

Just for the record: I am not implying that "fundamentalist" means violent of terrorist. "Fundamentalist" likely refers to religious fundamentalism. The violent I would label "extremists".

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
The Islamic world has no interest in adopting the institutions devised by Western Civilization. The only goal of the Islamic Empire is to crush Western Civilization, and, indeed, any non-muslim civilization, and replace is with sharia law and Islamic culture.

You're grossly exaggerating. There is some potential for conflict there but its not quite as grim as you put it. None of the muslims Ive ever talked to personally (and that would be many hundreds in different countries) ever expressed a desire to "crush western civilization".

We need to discern between those who desire to crush western civilization and those who dont.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

It could also mean that you spoke to the same "people on the street" as the PEW Research Center....

Peace

Well...lets put it this way: What kind of numbers would you consider more accurate?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

I wish Iran had been included, for many there are not happy with their government.

A number of Iranian youth appear to be rabidly pro-Western, from what Ive seen. They`ll be in power in 100 years.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oggii

I must apologize if I've gone off on any tangents, I still need to figure out how to quote things so I can remember what all I planned to post in the first place, lol.

Its always good to hear from someone who is in the middle of the action and picks up on moods from the street.

Just like with us there must be Millions of muslims not even close to being involved in politics or world events.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

They`ll be in power in 100 years.

It will be much less than that! the current regime is going to make it happen sooner rather later. Their support of Hamas and Hezbollah in particular will see an end to this oppressive regime who are that reckless and clearly wrong that even raise their eyes at their citizens who use facebook! People power will win! Another Iranian revolution is the only way to end the tyranny else they will all die!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Well...lets put it this way: What kind of numbers would you consider more accurate?

Put 10 people in a room and let them give their opinion on lemons, now the resulting statistics will be an accurate (temporary!!) depiction of that group's opinion on lemons. That's what I call accurate.

Getting 300 Muslims to fill out a form isn't hardly my idea of accurate. (I don't actually know how many people they polled but I know they didn't ask them all)

I know, I'm being silly but I do not trust statistics!!!

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
We need to solicit the help of ordinary muslims if we want to be protected from extremism.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It’s nice to see a member who reply’s to everyone and try’s to encourage discussion on one of the more original threads. Although I might disagree with most of the content of your thread, it is a good thread.

I do have to say however when talking about statistics guessing that ”Iran would be a 50-50” split doesn’t really mean much nor dose saying “Syria and Yemen might be a little bit on the fundamentalist side”. I am not saying those statements are wrong just that it would be nice to have some solid statistics there to look at and discuss

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I have had about enough of what Muslims think about Americans. I am getting tired of waking up everyday and hearing about how some Muslim doesn't approve of this or that.

I could really care less what they believe, they ain't here helping me during hurricane or tornado destruction or struggles. I'm not oppressing them, I'm not pissing in their mosque water, and neither is the majority of us.

They need to quit feeding into the news of MSM of what they think they know about most of us and shut their mouths.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The average muslim on the street might want to just live a somewhat normal life working, being with family, etc. But the minute the mullah says, " Kill the Christians, Kill the Jews, riot in the streets ! " They will obey, and they will do so as if their god allah were saying it himself. They have no choice. If you read the Quran you'll see what the commands are and what they "must" do.

Democracy to a muslim is a strange thing. They neither grasp nor understand what it is. There is only the mullah, the quran, and the appointed king.

Is doesn't matter what they think terrorism is, because they cannot go against the mullahs or the quran. If they say hamas are terrorists, and hamas has the decree from the mullah by a " fatwah ", that muslim who does so may be freely killed for such words.

Islam is a force. It allows no independent thought. It is slavery. They are all in their own little prisons with no hope of getting out.

In ending and o point I will tell you what terrorism is. It is the intention infliction of fear in order to make the object of the fear comply. Islam inflicts fear to obey, fear to live under it's law, fear to bow to the few who rule by decree. This is why their emblem is the sword. Need any more be said ?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

The point is the extremists never will. no matter what anyone says or does they will despise anyone who does not believe exactly the same thing they believe! It's in their nature and giving moderate Muslims a bad name!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
We need to solicit the help of ordinary muslims if we want to be protected from extremism.

There are no ordinary muslims. They are Borg, they are one.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

I agree, but it's growing old and tiring. It's like if Americans have an opinion on them it's complete utter hate instead of a opinion, but they can say whatever they want.

They have no idea over there how most of us struggle. It's hard enough to deal with out government here in the '' free world '', what makes it harder is to hear how the East disapproves of everything yet they get more help from our government than we do, they have better heatlh care than we do.

Enough it enough.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

ATS has supporters of murderers of the innocent?

yeah there are lots of them! We have one ATS member from Australia who defends these terrorists groups mentioned in the OP to the death! Something that is not supported by the general Australian population.

Or are you just running your mouth?

You seem to be doing a superior job of that bahahahahah. Remember you started the personal insults

That's why there's MILLIONS of deaths every month at the hands of suicide bombers!

You said millions not me. Suicide bombings are cowardly and deplorable and not acceptable in any circumstances. Never ever. Cowards!. Sounds like you support suicide bombings. is that true?

Stupid assumption is what that is. How does ANYTHING I say even remotely HINT to "I support suicide bombings"?

Are you one of those who thinks 1 + 1 = 11... Nobody in their right mind would so let's not be ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAGx1981
I have had about enough of what Muslims think about Americans. I am getting tired of waking up everyday and hearing about how some Muslim doesn't approve of this or that.

I could really care less what they believe, they ain't here helping me during hurricane or tornado destruction or struggles. I'm not oppressing them, I'm not pissing in their mosque water, and neither is the majority of us.

They need to quit feeding into the news of MSM of what they think they know about most of us and shut their mouths.

Isn't that what a good number of Americans do in regards to muslims? Feed into what the MSM spews out on a daily basis? There's a reason so many people think 95% of muslims are suicide bombers or terrorists.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The average muslim on the street might want to just live a somewhat normal life working, being with family, etc. But the minute the mullah says, " Kill the Christians, Kill the Jews, riot in the streets ! " They will obey, and they will do so as if their god allah were saying it himself. They have no choice. If you read the Quran you'll see what the commands are and what they "must" do.

Democracy to a muslim is a strange thing. They neither grasp nor understand what it is. There is only the mullah, the quran, and the appointed king.

Is doesn't matter what they think terrorism is, because they cannot go against the mullahs or the quran. If they say hamas are terrorists, and hamas has the decree from the mullah by a " fatwah ", that muslim who does so may be freely killed for such words.

Islam is a force. It allows no independent thought. It is slavery. They are all in their own little prisons with no hope of getting out.

In ending and o point I will tell you what terrorism is. It is the intention infliction of fear in order to make the object of the fear comply. Islam inflicts fear to obey, fear to live under it's law, fear to bow to the few who rule by decree. This is why their emblem is the sword. Need any more be said ?

Who the heck follows a "mullah" if not from Iran or adhering to the Shi'i doctrine? I'm muslim and have NEVER had a mullah.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
tic cable.

The media reporting of it...
1 in 3 British Muslim students back killing for Islam and 40% want Sharia law
DailyMail

I dont necessarily trust dailymail. They`ll post articles entitled "Muslim rapes 12 year old girl" as if rape was specific to muslims.

As to muslims being more radical in England: If you could find some actual stats and polls on that that do not depend on Julian Assange or Dailymail, I´ll be open to considering the idea.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It’s nice to see a member who reply’s to everyone and try’s to encourage discussion on one of the more original threads. Although I might disagree with most of the content of your thread, it is a good thread.

Indeed the ATS discourse on muslims has been lacking to say the least. The more heated the topic the more important it is to discuss in a civilized manner.

I do have to say however when talking about statistics guessing that ”Iran would be a 50-50” split doesn’t really mean much nor dose saying “Syria and Yemen might be a little bit on the fundamentalist side”. I am not saying those statements are wrong just that it would be nice to have some solid statistics there to look at and discuss

Yes, my guess doesnt mean anything. Id need to find actual polls and stats from those countries.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join