It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the focus on enlightenment preventing people from becoming enlightened

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Hey guys I’m pretty new to this forum and this is my first thread.

But just from the threads I have read there seem to be a lot of people here trying everything under the sun in order to attain some sort of spiritual superiority. This in itself is a reflection of ego, which in turn separates us from the source/truth/God anyway. Many people seem to be so focussed on becoming one with the universe that they forget to enjoy the feeling of being separate from it aka being human.

Now look, obviously it far better to be obsessed with finding enlightenment than say being obsessed with shopping, or food, or cats or making the $$$. And I do realise that majority of humanity still operates on a very baseline, reactionary level of thinking not too far removed from that of any other animal, hence the poor state of the world today.

But one cannot enjoy looking up at a beautiful starry night if you are the stars. You cannot enjoy snuggling up to your lady (or fella) in front of the fire with a glass of red if you are the red, the lady and the fire all at once. I think many people almost feel guilty, or at the very least inadequate because they have not trained themselves to see auras, or they gave up their Sivanada Yoga classes because they rather have a quiet night in and read.

I think many forget (or do not know) the reason we exist as separate being in the first place is (in my own humble opinion) is to experience life as a separate being. Following your true calling isn’t meant to be a struggle. The path you are meant to take in life is the easiest path, and by that I mean the one that comes most naturally to you. Enlightenment should never be an effort or hard work. Everything you do takes you closer to the source whether you actively seek it or not. We are all travelling down the same river; and I’d much rather enjoy the journey on a slow boat with a fishing rod and a beer. My only peeve is the fact that in my next life I will forget how cool my last one was.

The world is changing so fast, and I personally think things will only get better. I consider myself very fortunate to live during this time period where global consciousness has slowly begun en masse to slowly shift.

The reason all of us currently live the lives we live is because we are meant to live the lives we live. Obviously trying to better oneself and the world we live in is a good thing, and I’m not trying to discourage anyone from that.

But we must not forget to stop and smell the roses...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
thank you for that, i think you just got what was in my head and gut "down on paper", and a spot of syncronicity for good measure

there's a balance to everything!!

try this out- wecreatethelove.ning.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

You project your belief to us that looking for enlightenment is ego driven when it is just the opposite.

Your example of a warm fire, a mate and a glass of wine are all too typically human ego efforts to find satisfaction in common, earthly things. Evidently, you can't imagine that a human can strive for some higher understanding. It is possible. That fire will go out, the mate will not always be there and the wine will sour.

Enlightenment is not a religion, it is a state of mind that exceeds the common human perspective of life tht we see perverted too much in this age of materialism (acquiring a warm fire, a cuddling mate and a glass of something all of which dulls the aches of life.) If you look no further than that, your ego is self-satisfied and that may be enough for you, but it is far short of your potential.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Hello.
I enjoyed your post. You're right on pointing out the ego associated with any perceived spiritual superiority. If one falls prey to illusions of grandeur, they have strayed from the path.

I have found that life is to experience. I agree with you on that. The Law of Karma or Causality seems to be the force that helps steer us in the right direction. Too much bad happening in one's life or negative emotions should be an indication that they are making the wrong choices. It helps us become aware of which lifestyle is more natural for us.

However, I believe that understanding and experiencing reunification is essential to escape suffering. One can not find true peace without knowing that all is inter-connected, codependent, and impermanent. Without this understanding of unity or 'oneness,' we will ignore and detest the bad, while only satisfied with the good. We will just 'deal with things,' without ever transcending them. We will look forward to a heavenly afterlife without finding paradise in this present life.

"But one cannot enjoy looking up at a beautiful starry night if you are the stars. You cannot enjoy snuggling up to your lady (or fella) in front of the fire with a glass of red if you are the red, the lady and the fire all at once."

Do you love your eyes in spite of your nose? Are you a mind, a consciousness, or a body? Are you your head, your torso, or your legs?

Ever think about your blood and the other cells that make up your body? Each little cells knows just what to do without you ever commanding it. Some deliver oxygen, some fight foreign invaders, some rebuild and heal, and so on. Do you believe each cell is potentially self aware or sentient?

A tree to a forest. A blade of grass to a meadow. A droplet to an ocean.
Individuals that contribute to the whole, the unity, the 'oneness.'

I believe the key is to equally acknowledge our oneness and our individuality. Experience each moment as an individual while mindful of our oneness.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

[COLOR=GOLD]

I think what your speaking of is attributed to some just not wanting to feel left out of a potentially positive enhancement... ALL have, from what I have observed positive energy within them so ALL potentially can become more positive enlightened. The ego aspect of just wanting to possess some majical powers or just to be diffeent then others, yes 1 can see how this can cause issues. So this would have to be an issue overcame by each individual seeking to become more aware of their true potentials. When I see threads about enlightenment, I do see many types of responses and some seem to come off as look at what I can do or I can do this can you. 1 can understand again that some want to be part of something overall positive and their want to be part of something positive is a good lean in the right direction. Again each individual MUST tackle their own intents and ambitions for wanting to become enlightened. 1 speaks from a point of view of 1 who also seeks to be more aware/ENLIGHTENED and I do try my best to keep my ego undercontroll as to not taint something that may be so beautiful of an experience... This is part of the journy from my observation lowering or eliminating the segragating ego of (im different or more advanced then you) as opposed to (I learned something new and can help you learn to) IF YOUR RECEPTIVE. So for many here on EA its a mission with ones self to cleanse the lower density causing ego, and doing so should help to advance SPIRITUALLY. This cleans WILL effect your total outlook on ALL things. So be prepared to LOVE ALL-even those you may feel are your enemy from different land masses or religious backgrounds or race and to go further species. I like the intent of this OP and thanks it can only help us ALL.

Be well

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

NAMASTE

[/COLOR]
edit on 6/28/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

You project your belief to us that looking for enlightenment is ego driven when it is just the opposite.

Your example of a warm fire, a mate and a glass of wine are all too typically human ego efforts to find satisfaction in common, earthly things. Evidently, you can't imagine that a human can strive for some higher understanding. It is possible. That fire will go out, the mate will not always be there and the wine will sour.

Enlightenment is not a religion, it is a state of mind that exceeds the common human perspective of life tht we see perverted too much in this age of materialism (acquiring a warm fire, a cuddling mate and a glass of something all of which dulls the aches of life.) If you look no further than that, your ego is self-satisfied and that may be enough for you, but it is far short of your potential.

For many people I think the pursuit of enlightenment is an ego driven exercise. Which obviously is counter to the journey to enlightenment any way.

If you read the post carefully you will see that see I am in no way encouraging people to pursue materialistic side of life e.g the hot chick and the $1000 bottle of Penfolds Grange. My point is we should enjoy the Here and Now. Enlightment will eventually come to us all. But the focus is not just the destination, but the journey itself

What do you think will happen when all the souls of the universe eventually make it back to the source? The journey will begin again.....
edit on 28/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

However, I believe that understanding and experiencing reunification is essential to escape suffering. One can not find true peace without knowing that all is inter-connected, codependent, and impermanent. Without this understanding of unity or 'oneness,' we will ignore and detest the bad, while only satisfied with the good. We will just 'deal with things,' without ever transcending them. We will look forward to a heavenly afterlife without finding paradise in this present life.

I totally agree. But few of us will ever achieve true peace in this lifetime. What many view as the problems of the world as it is today is due to the percieved separateness of everything. Yet from a 3rd dimensional point of view we are all separate. I do not believe however it is necessary to understand the complete conectedness of everything to do something about what you call 'bad'. And the point of my post is all about finding paradise in this present life.

Do you love your eyes in spite of your nose? Are you a mind, a consciousness, or a body? Are you your head, your torso, or your legs?

Ever think about your blood and the other cells that make up your body? Each little cells knows just what to do without you ever commanding it. Some deliver oxygen, some fight foreign invaders, some rebuild and heal, and so on. Do you believe each cell is potentially self aware or sentient?

A tree to a forest. A blade of grass to a meadow. A droplet to an ocean.
Individuals that contribute to the whole, the unity, the 'oneness.'

I believe the key is to equally acknowledge our oneness and our individuality. Experience each moment as an individual while mindful of our oneness.

I do not quite understand what your trying to get at here, but I will say that I do not believe we are a tree to a forest. We are the forest thinking we are the tree. But until I am at a point where I realise I am the forest then i will revel in the fact that I believe I am a tree.

edit on 28/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

[COLOR=GOLD]

This is part of the journy from my observation lowering or eliminating the segragating ego of (im different or more advanced then you) as opposed to (I learned something new and can help you learn to) IF YOUR RECEPTIVE.

Thanks for your words. And what you've said here is kinda what i'm getting at. But the key here is being receptive Until such time they will not be open to this help. Sooner or later however all souls will have reached a point in their spiritual evolution when they are open to such help. And at that point there can be no looking back.
edit on 28/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: spelling

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
Sooner or later however all souls will have reached a point in their spiritual evolution when they are open to such help. And at that point there can be no looking back.
edit on 28/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: spelling

Species progression

Be well

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Very good first post, with important points made. I particularly like the quote - "Many people seem to be so focussed on becoming one with the universe that they forget to enjoy the feeling of being separate from it aka being human." which I think hits the nail on the head. I was at one point one of these people, obsessing with overcoming the matrix of "illusionary" physical life to merge with the transendent other. But it's very easy to fall into the trap of believing that you are more "enlightened" than others and only your opinions and interests matter.

Personally I believe that 3rd dimensional life is about experience, choice, and the true beginnings of awareness. I say beginnings because I am not sure true awareness is possible in our 3rd dimensional reality (though I am sure many would disagree), because I believe we aren't at that stage in development yet, evolutionary wise (spiritual as well as physical). Rather than control coming from a source outside of one's self (most organized religions), the control is self imposed and internalized. Discipline and using your will are important parts of a person's growth, but experience and understanding are just as important. People that neglect experiencing and not allow themselves to make mistakes (powerful learning tool for development) are limiting themselves IMO.

edit on 28-6-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
Very good first post, with important points made. I particularly like the quote - "Many people seem to be so focussed on becoming one with the universe that they forget to enjoy the feeling of being separate from it aka being human." which I think hits the nail on the head. I was at one point one of these people, obsessing with overcoming the matrix of "illusionary" physical life to merge with the transendent other. But it's very easy to fall into the trap of believing that you are more "enlightened" than others and only your opinions and interests matter.

I think many of us become obsessed with getting over the illusory nature of the physical world, while fogetting that the main point of the physical world existing isn't to transcend it, but to experience it. Transcendance will come in its own good time

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
Personally I believe that 3rd dimensional life is about experience, choice, and the true beginnings of awareness. I say beginnings because I am not sure true awareness is possible in our 3rd dimensional reality (though I am sure many would disagree), because I believe we aren't at that stage in development yet, evolutionary wise (spiritual as well as physical). Rather than control coming from a source outside of one's self (most organized religions), the control is self imposed and internalized. Discipline and using your will are important parts of a person's growth, but experience and understanding are just as important. People that neglect experiencing and not allow themselves to make mistakes (powerful learning tool for development) are limiting themselves IMO.
I believe we are all capable of complete awareness, but only for a few fleeting moments. Then once again we have 'chop wood carry water' as the saying goes. When we are open to experience the tasks in our lives they become lighter. When we are able to be in the moment, we no longer feel compelled to watch the clock. Whatever your work might be, bring all of yourself to it. When you are fully present, you will find that your life is no longer simply something to transcend. It is to be lived.

P.S. chewingonmushrooms, I love your name

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Each of us holds the key to the "lock" of enlightenment. Thing is...enlightenment has never been locked...it has always just "been". Ergo, there is no lock, no key...just "now"...availability is realization of the whole without ego...just "be".
edit on 28-6-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

We're pretty much on the same page for the most part. As for the confusion you encountered in my reply; I was stating my belief that we must be the individual tree at all times, while never forgetting we are also the forest. I believe to get lost in individuality shackles us in suffering and attachment.

For me, experiencing unity and oneness absolutely helped me overcome the questions, "Why do bad things happen?" "Why does evil exist?" "Why isn't life fair?" etcetera.

It's God's will... you just have to trust in God's plan... there's something better after this life...
Just deal with it... get over it... that's just the way things are... keep your mind off of it...
These answers never cut it for me.
It's just like saying to ignore the issues without trying to grasp a deeper understanding.
Or it's like saying this life is not worth as much as the many claims of a heavenly afterlife.
And it doesn't help one to understand nor accept the bad, ugly, unfair, etc.

As you are stating that too much emphasis is placed on oneness instead of individuality, I counter to say we must be balanced between self and all.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

It's God's will... you just have to trust in God's plan... there's something better after this life...
Just deal with it... get over it... that's just the way things are... keep your mind off of it...
These answers never cut it for me.
It's just like saying to ignore the issues without trying to grasp a deeper understanding.
Or it's like saying this life is not worth as much as the many claims of a heavenly afterlife.
And it doesn't help one to understand nor accept the bad, ugly, unfair, etc.

As you are stating that too much emphasis is placed on oneness instead of individuality, I counter to say we must be balanced between self and all.

And I totally agree. I think the balance is the key. While I admit there are far too many people are lost in the materialistic side of life, there are many others who have their head lost in the clouds. The point I was also trying to make but probably didn't make it clear enough is that everyones path is different, and not all of these paths involve crystals, meditation and locking ones self in a cave for 5 years. When one reaches a certain point in ones spiritual evolution one will possibly see the value in these things. But I think many people are trying just a bit too hard, when in fact they are and always will be on the path to enlightenment anyway.

I guess this post is aimed at those who have just begun to 'awaken'. To remind them to enjoy the present. For in reality, the Here and Now is all we have in life. To focus too much on anything else is merely a distraction.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It has to come to me naturally, I have to put forth some effort but if I try to hard then it just gets confusing which makes me angered which makes me unable to think. trying less make it easier for me.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
It has to come to me naturally, I have to put forth some effort but if I try to hard then it just gets confusing which makes me angered which makes me unable to think. trying less make it easier for me.

Thats's exactly my experience. I think the more lifetimes one lives, (the older your soul) the more natural it comes to you. Eventually you get to a point in your evolution where their is no going back.

I don't want to discourage anyone from going out and actively seeking it. But it should never seem like a chore, or hardwork. the path one is menat to take in this lifetime is the one that comes most naturally....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
Hey guys I’m pretty new to this forum and this is my first thread.

But just from the threads I have read there seem to be a lot of people here trying everything under the sun in order to attain some sort of spiritual superiority. This in itself is a reflection of ego, which in turn separates us from the source/truth/God anyway. Many people seem to be so focussed on becoming one with the universe that they forget to enjoy the feeling of being separate from it aka being human.

It is true that it is a reflection of the ego, but becoming one with the universe or one with God is the goal of philosophy and that gives up the ego.

But one cannot enjoy looking up at a beautiful starry night if you are the stars.

It's not about being the stars, it's about knowing the true Good. As a human we have limited understanding in this, but we can still get a glimpse of the true good within our mind. While the stars are beautiful to see, they pale in comparison with the light in the mind. Or I should say, the light BEHIND the mind.

edit on 29-6-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

top topics

join