It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: "Unknown piece of space debris of unknown size" buzzes ISS, crews shelter in Soyuzes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Why is this thread in the UFO&Aliens section ?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Sorry my spaceship bugged out and went berserk. I just managed to gain control as I wizzed by. Nice station. You even got a solar array. Not bad. A few hundred years and you guys will be set.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

You know, I asked myself the same...

If we;re gonna talk about normal, then this is debris and big asteroids hitting the earth are less likely any time soon. For small, they fall like every day.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by JimOberg
NASA: "Unknown piece of space debris of unknown size" buzzes ISS, crews shelter in Soyuzes

What do you think the unknown debris could be? something originating from earth or something originating from space, piece of asteroid,meteor e.t.c?

Interesting none the less .
edit on 28-6-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

I think that is something that come from outside.

Every single piece of debris above 1/2 cm is catalogued and its orbit known.
So....

See, Arken, you can trace a lot of your weird misunderstandings of these space events to your misplaced faith in your own "knowledge" of spaceflight, most of which is wildly wrong. You seem to be clueless about how accurately orbits are 'known' and how that knowledge is subject to errors that can grow or shrink due to outside forces such as air drag and solar activity. In this case, the orbit of an object that was originally no hazard -- passing safely outside the alert range -- shifted unexpectedly into that range, as they are wont to do on occasion due to variations in their own drag (as oddly-shaped objects present different geometries 'into the wind') and to localized solar induced excitation of the upper atmosphere. None of these effects can be predicted ahead of time so the precise motion of objects -- and by 'precise' I mean to a thousand feet or so -- cannot be accurately predicted, especially smaller non-symmetrical tumbling objects. You probably didn't know that, or understand its implications, if you did. Anyhow, "what you think" seems to have little if any connection to reality, at least in this instance -- but it can be remedied. Realize the error, watch, and learn

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Because the object really is unidentified, at least for now. And it's very similar to many other objects discussed at length here.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's unknown so I assume that means it's gotta be alien or nasa would have identified it.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Someone said that the space junk was the ISS.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
Has there been any comment from NASA about this? Or does it happen often and we are just simply not told because it's "business as usual"...

Not exactly normal but we did get to listen to it happen live a couple of years ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
Has there been any comment from NASA about this? Or does it happen often and we are just simply not told because it's "business as usual"...

Not exactly normal but we did get to listen to it happen live a couple of years ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So this happened a couple of years ago as well or this is the article the OP is referring to ? I find it strange that NASA are calling it unidentified.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Separate occurrences.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You know, we humans are a pretty smart lot and we seem to have a nice firm grip on our technology, for the most part, but I really, really dread the day that something of significant velocity and size penetrates our ability to protect the ISS from catastrophic damage. Something, someday will get through and make that place a coffin if, between now and then, we don't develop some new type of protection system for it. If it can happen, it will....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Because it is an unkown or unidentified object that is being discussed. From what I can tell its being space debris is an assumption at this point, right? It really could be posted here and in Space Exploration couldn't it... A paradox no less...
edit on 28-6-2011 by Lost_Mind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
It's unknown so I assume that means it's gotta be alien or nasa would have identified it.

Your assumptions are incomplete -- more like half-assumptions. More to follow shortly.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Perhaps that Asteroid which passed by Earth Yesterday knocked some space debris out of it's usual orbit?

That's my guess, and I'm stickin' to it!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm assuming this is the new norm on ATS..
Posting really minor and sometimes common occurrences. And trying to make said occurrences more dramatic then they are..
Despite this happening a few times already this year, I believe it happened last year and so on.

People will be "alarmist."
People learn in 3rd grade that there is unlimited space junk out there...
There are many Near Earth Objects out there that aren't discovered until hours before they are scheduled to pass near earth or even after they have already passed.

Oh wells.

Anything for stars and flags I guess.

Deny Ignorance...

edit on 28-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I just taped an interview for NBC 'Today' show on the space junk story, it should air Wednesday about 7:15 in the show (7 to 9 AM). For those who enjoy throwing popcorn at the scrteen, or other stuff -- stock up!

The object was in an elliptical orbit with an inclination of 62 degrees. While there were a few USAF sats in such orbits, the vast majority of objects there are Soviet in origin. Molniya-class orbits have initial perigees in the 600 km range, I recall, so for the perigee to have decayed to ISS altitude suggests a VERY long time in orbit -- decades perhaps.

The NY Times is reporting that "the unidentified object hurtled past them at a speed of 29,000 miles per hour", which I find no reason to believe, especially as it may have been an overtaking encounter at only 10% of that relative rate.

Do we have any better information on the relative motion of the encounter?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

So it seems like it could be debris from the Soviets venturing into orbit via manned or unmanned craft? Didn't think it'd be meteors or anything else other than man made junk when I first heard it on the tv.

Speaking of which, look forward to your appearance Jim, caught you talking to Sky News last week or so about the previous shuttle mission I believe.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Dodging seven mile per second missiles inside a container with only milimeters of thickness sounds scary as hell.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I always thought you were the guy in the NASA Know. Me = SillyBoy!!!

I read about this on the DRUDGEREPORT Yesterday and it was old news then...

How about just letting us know when the new Alien/hybrid NASA Special Toilet Seat is complete for the soon to be destroyed ISS...

K?

JO + Credibility = KackSIGH

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join