It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General strike under way in Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

General strike under way in Greece

english.aljazeera.net

The strike has been called by unions angry at a new €28bn ($40bn) austerity programme that would slap taxes on minimum wage earners and other struggling Greeks, following months of other cuts that have seen unemployment surge to more than 16 per cent.

Protesters have been joined by doctors, ambulance drivers, journalists and even actors at a state-funded theatre.

The strike by air traffic controllers has already caused travel disruption with airlines Olympic Air and Aegean cancelling dozens of mainly internal flights, and rescheduling a series of international departures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The package and implementation law must be passed by parliament this week so the European Union and the International Monetary Fund release the next installment of Greece's €110bn ($156bn) bailout loan.

Without it, Greece faces the prospect next month of becoming the first eurozone country to default on its debts - a potentially disastrous event that could drag down European banks and affect other financially troubled European countries.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Lenin says:

Thirdly, strikes, as we have seen, show the workers that the government is their enemy and that a struggle against the government must be carried on. Actually, it is strikes that have gradually taught the working class of all countries to struggle against the governments for workers’ rights and for the rights of the people as a whole.

edit on 28-6-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on 28/6/11 by argentus because: add ex tags and mod note

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

With Greece teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, parliament is due to vote this week on a package of spending cuts, tax increases and privatizations agreed as part of a massive bailout aimed at averting the euro zone's first default.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

With Greece teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, parliament is due to vote this week on a package of spending cuts, tax increases and privatizations agreed as part of a massive bailout aimed at averting the euro zone's first default.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The IMF has imposed vast privatization programmes on all countries it 'helped'. The target is very clear.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Lenin says: "...Thirdly, strikes, as we have seen, show the workers that the government is their enemy and that a struggle against the government must be carried on. Actually, it is strikes that have gradually taught the working class of all countries to struggle against the governments for workers’ rights and for the rights of the people as a whole."

Don't be so quick in your judgment.

The Greece has its debt and is on the verge of bankruptcy for a reason. The Greeks voted government that would let them live above-standard, and when I say above, I mean it.

Few examples:
*They go to pension in 53 years
*They have ~6 times higher pension than Slovakia or Czech Republic
*Working only 37.5 hours/week
*70% of population working in state services
*THEY WERE NOT PAYING ANY TAXES IF THEIR INCOME WAS BELLOW 1000€/MONTH

And it goes on and on. I am from Slovakia, they are mocking me that they want money from us to pay for their lazy asses and the saving plan is laughable. They were way above their standard of living. Now they have to pay for it. I say let them burn.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/382d77b90da9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b4aab2d49d7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19be58eaf359.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heckren

The Greece has its debt and is on the verge of bankruptcy for a reason. The Greeks voted government that would let them live above-standard, and when I say above, I mean it.

Few examples:

No they do not.

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Heckren

They WHAT??????? Where on earth did you read this??? It is completely 100% false, and you ought to know better as an ATS member- Deny Ignorance-remember?

Greeks go to pension at 65 years old, now they have increased the limit at 67, they work 40 hours/week at least, their basic salary is was at 700 euros, now it has decreased to 500 euros and have never lived a rich life. Well, there are the corrupted ones, who took money under the table, but other than those, everyone else is struggling to survive.
Wake Up!!!
edit on 28-6-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jmlima

For women, the retirement age is increased from 57 to 60. In both cases, an additional six-month period is mandated for each working year after 2013. For those who work in hazardous occupations, the retirement age is extended from 55 to 57 for full retirement and from 53 to 55 for partial

Yes they do.

And for salaries, visit this link for how much they were taking...
edit on 28-6-2011 by Heckren because: link added

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Heckren

Did you even read your own link? You know, the part where it says PARTIAL retirement? It is this thing where the government gives you 50% less of your retirement if you wish to retire early. That is entirely optional, and people in these cases get a retirement of about 300 euros. Seriously now, accept that who lives here must know something better than you do, ok?
And as for the link you posted, completely propagandistic and untrue. "Women are only good for babies"??? It is so obvious that neither you nor the journalist have ever come to Greece, nor have ever made a serious research about this issue. I rest my case.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Why are Greeks rioting?

Because the Greeks know they have a land full of natural resources which are being purposely hidden and covered up. subtitles on top.

Greeks don't want handouts, they want to default. Their debt has been forced upon them and this is all a elaborate plan to force Greece into a slave labor society for Europe to exploit.

Any Greek will tell you, that from a young child there is one word that is constantly put into your subconscious, i remember being at school while we used to read poems and stories while the whole class would scream the word out.

The word was 'OXI' which is directly 'NO' No to oppression, no to intimidation. its surreal that this was burnt into my brain from young, i cant imagine western schools having this program of teaching children to say NO to government.

Anyway, bottom line is Europe wants Greece to take out these loans for so many reasons, the people don't want the loans because it comes at a price of selling their land, and public utilities. Unbelievable... people should be free to choose whether they want debt or not.

Better if Greece defaults and starts from scratch then to take loans they will never be able to pay back. Dont know why its only the Greek people that can see it this simply.

edit on 28-6-2011 by Vastar because: you tube embed fail

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vastar
Anyway, bottom line is Europe wants Greece to take out these loans for so many reasons, the people don't want the loans because it comes at a price of selling their land, and public utilities. Unbelievable... people should be free to choose whether they want debt or not.

There's only one reason. Greece cannot be allowed to default because of the Euro. Nothing else. In all fairness the guys in Brussels don't care for anyone else except themselves, and most of all the guys that pay them for their campaigns and elections. This is not about Greece at all, this about the Euro, and the solvency of Germany and France. Greece will be forced to put up with whatever is needed not to default. Irrespective of what happens to the Greeks.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Lenin says: "...Thirdly, strikes, as we have seen, show the workers that the government is their enemy and that a struggle against the government must be carried on. Actually, it is strikes that have gradually taught the working class of all countries to struggle against the governments for workers’ rights and for the rights of the people as a whole."

Few examples:
*They have ~6 times higher pension than Slovakia or Czech Republic
*Working only 37.5 hours/week
*70% of population working in state services
*THEY WERE NOT PAYING ANY TAXES IF THEIR INCOME WAS BELLOW 1000€/MONTH

And it goes on and on. I am from Slovakia, they are mocking me that they want money from us to pay for their lazy asses and the saving plan is laughable. They were way above their standard of living. Now they have to pay for it. I say let them burn.

Dude... thats total bull.... i know you might be complexic abit for some reason with us but saying lies to justify it is retarded. Actually greeks work even more than germans. get your facts straight.
And to be honest your whole post stinks of racism...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here is a video from RT that came out a few hours ago

They really dont like McDonalds, do they? (Im pretty sure these people dont represent the majority of the protesters)

Edit - Heres another one

edit on 28-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

reply to post by jmlima

For women, the retirement age is increased from 57 to 60. In both cases, an additional six-month period is mandated for each working year after 2013. For those who work in hazardous occupations, the retirement age is extended from 55 to 57 for full retirement and from 53 to 55 for partial

Yes they do.

And for salaries, visit this link for how much they were taking...
edit on 28-6-2011 by Heckren because: link added

Your link is to a blog, based on one persons perspective, who isn't even Greek !

I'll be sticking to the BBC link if you don't mind .

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The markets seem convince that the Greeks will pass the austerity measures. The people in the streets are rather upset. Things will get hairy over the coming hours. It is unlikely that Greece can default, or the rest of the World refuses to let them. If somehow the people storm the parliament building, and prevent the vote then all bets are off.

"People are getting angry. Middle class people are protesting."

edit on 29-6-2011 by stephinrazin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Defeat.
Greeks Approve Austerity

The bankers win again I am afraid. On the upside the global economy did not implode, and the fiat money game will survive for a while longer.

The streets will surely explode now.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Athens Burning...
Live streams of Protests

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6095d13c85aa.jpeg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c49ab3ae42d1.jpeg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9856cbf7ef59.jpeg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c73be44e5e1f.jpeg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/201e3c0efb50.jpeg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e8e384b3cfa5.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The markets are rallying for a third straight day today. The sky's the limit! Might even reach the dizzying heights of late 2007!!! Woo hoo!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join