It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gog/Magog War Prophesied In Ezekiel 38-39 Is Beginning

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

No offense intended, but you're doing the same thing you're accusing Old Corp of. Anyone can and often "does" make up anything form the Bible... About the 3.5 Billion before man? How do you know... All we have to go on now is "scientific" evidence that man has only been around a very small amount of time. Could be we just haven't found the really old parts yet. And... Anyway, all the evil and the good did exist prior to man. Man has simply let himself become the focus ot it (whatever it may be) and the enduring, natural, and eternal battle of Yin vs Yang.

Beside that... Regardless of what you may or may not believe and espouse, what's going to happen will happen. If you're right... Nothing ventured... However, if you are truly wrong... Nothing gained.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

7 “‘Get ready; be prepared, you and all the hordes gathered about you, and take command of them.
8 After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety.
9 You and all your troops and the many nations with you will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land.

Please read what I emboldened in the above scripture in verse 8 again. How can that not be a reference to modern day Israel?

Because the "Mountains of Israel" are not in Israel; they are in the West Bank. Perhaps it seems meaningless to you? Well, bear in mind that the modern Palestinians are the descendants of the ancient Israelites. Still puzzled? Most of the most aggressive Israelis (both in politics and in the settler movements) are in fact recent immigrants from Russia.

All this biblical prophecy looks really different when you realize the majority of modern Israelis actually have no relation to the people the bible is talking about. They're the descendants of Roman-era gentile converts, and not the "tribes" or what have you.

Ezekiel even listed the nations that would be gathered against Israel in the runup to this war. The next EX text block lists the ancient nations named in the prophecy along with their modern names - chief among them are Turkey, Russia, and Iran.

ANCIENT NAMES OF MODERN NATIONS
Rosh (ancient Sarmatians known as Rashu,Rasapu,Ros and Rus) RUSSIA
Magog (ancient Scythians) Central Asia (Islamic southern republics of the former Soviet Union with a population of 60 million Muslims)
Meshech (ancient Muschki and Musku in Cilicia and Cappadocia) Turkey
Tubal (ancient Tubalu in Cappadocia) Turkey
Persia (name changed to Iran in 1935) Iran
Ethiopia (ancient Cush,south of Egypt) Sudan
Libya (ancient Put,west of Egypt) Libya
Gomer (ancient Cimmerians from seventh century to first century B.C. in central/western Anatolia Turkey
Beth-Togarmah (Tilgarimmu between ancient Carchemish and Haran) Turkey
SOURCE

Show me an actual scholarly source for any of this. Else it's just some doofus making up places where he wants these names to fit. For instance, the identification of "Rosh" with "Russia" is rather damn ludicrous, given that There was nothing called "Russia" until the Swedes colonized a river. The Rus were Swedish vikings.Further the Samartians and Scythians were inhabitants of modern Ukraine, Romania, and Bulgaria.

Essentially, what you are looking at a pseudocultural artifact from the Cold War; You know, back when it was the Commies and not the Islammies who were the ultimate universe-crushing christ-hating baby-eating forces of evil predicated by the bible.

And of course, gullible dumbassed Americans who couldn't find Canada with a map ate it all up back then, just as htey seem to do now.
edit on 30/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by Fatgoblin

The descriptions of Behemoth, Levaiathan and many other creatures could be anything from an elephant to a hippo to a whale to a squid to a vulture and everything in between. Just because these creatures were described very fuzzily in the bible doesn't meant they were referring to dinosaurs.

And, they could just as easily be that of which they were described to be, and much more likely so
than your argument of implausibility "everything imbetween"

Really? So when the bible mentions a talking burning bush I guess we should take that at face value as well right?

I mean a talking burning bush. How could such a thing not exist huh?

And maybe if you read my entire post properly you'd see how I gave a perfect example of how people give vague and exaggerated descriptions of regular animals when they can't really comprehend what they're looking at.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
What I want to know is:

When do we get to Ezekiel the 9th Chapter...?

That's what really counts IMHO.

edit on 29-6-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

They already did that. As you may know. God publicaly whiped His people in front of the whole world. Now when He brings them back some others want to whip them again but they, these others, will be whiped and beaten up very badly.... in front of the whole world.

21 “I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay on them. 22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the LORD their God. 23 And the nations will know that the people of Israel went into exile for their sin, because they were unfaithful to me. So I hid my face from them and handed them over to their enemies, and they all fell by the sword. 24 I dealt with them according to their uncleanness and their offenses, and I hid my face from them. 25 “Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will now restore the fortunes of Jacob[d] and will have compassion on all the people of Israel, and I will be zealous for my holy name. 26 They will forget their shame and all the unfaithfulness they showed toward me when they lived in safety in their land with no one to make them afraid. 27 When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will be proved holy through them in the sight of many nations. 28 Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind. 29 I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the people of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD.”

Ezekiel 39

Well, usually when God does something as defineably intense as destroying his own people, it usually becomes a permenant result. um... That being said, why are they so RAMPANTLY behaving in the manner that brings about thier destruction in Ezekiel 9 even now, as we speak?

Would you call the thefts by Israeli institutions like Goldman - Sachs and Lehman Holdings of American finances Godlike and God approved behaviors?

How about the GENOCIDAL actions they are taking against the Palestinians?

No, Ezeliel 9 hasn't happened yet. It will soon, however...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
HI GUYS!

Imagine this: dawn's breaking once again, only this time it is my 18-year-old waking me up after a few hours of sleep saying, in his best Eric Cartman imitation, "But Daaaad, I want to go fishing too! How come Adam always gets to have all the fun? What's he special or something?"

So, being the loving, pushover of a dad that I am, we ALL went fishing. We must not have been holding our mouths right or something because we only had a half dozen strikes all day; BUT - I'll say it again - NOTHING beats spending quality time with your children. If you're one of those folks who just doesn't have enough time in your busy schedule, I would highly recommend making time. I guarantee you won't regret it. "Cats in the Cradle" comes to mind. We're going out again in the morning (I'm gonna catch that damn 20lb catfish if it's the last thing I do.
)

However, for the next few hours, I'm all yours, and I will answer as many of your questions as I can. I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, and especially those who have stuck up for me and had nice things to say. I've starred all of those posts already (and even a few from the other side who posted thoughtful questions rather than just wasting bandwidth by attempting to insult me.)

Let's begin.

Originally posted by Observer99
Things not understood by current science are not necessarily "divine." I believe premonition is a real phenomenon and personally believe that it is some unknown power of the brain, of the "mind" or of consciousness itself. Not saying it can't be divine, just saying it doesn't prove divinity.

I took the liberty of replacing the old nation names in your quoted verse with your stated new nation names:

I dunno man. Here's my Cliff's Notes version: "A bunch of middle eastern countries are gonna go ape-!%$@ and kill each other again." Great. Hasn't that happened like a thousand times? The only specificity I can see is "Israel will be ATTACKED" -- but this is still speculative until it actually happens. They've wanted to attack Israel since its inception.

And maybe I'm blind but I can't see the reference to "Rosh" in your quoted scripture?

Thanks for substituting the names. That may help some who have trouble adding 2+2.

As far as "Rosh," pertaining to Russia, linguists have long accepted that the ancient name for Russia is "Rosh," Ros," Rus," etc. Hope that helps.

Also, how does this mesh with Christianity, exactly? I mean, if the Jews are "god's people", but he wants people to believe in Jesus, that seems contradictory to me, since the Jews reject Jesus as their savior. Christianity teaches us that everyone can be saved by believing in Jesus Christ and following his teachings. Why would god then be so incensed just over the Israelites? Don't I matter too? Seems like a massive conflict between the OT god and NT god there.

It's these kinds of questions that just took away my personal faith in the bible, I'm sorry. I would like to believe there's a god that cares about me, however I can't honestly state my belief in religion anymore. However, as an observer of humanity, I believe that religion is generally good, Christianity specifically, and that the absence of religion would be terribly bad for most humans.

Good questions! Star for you.

A lot of people are confused about what it means when it is said that the Jews are "God's Chosen People," so you aren't alone in that. To my understanding, being God's "Chosen People" does NOT mean that they are better than any other nation or race. If they were, one would expect them to have had it pretty easy, when in fact the opposite is true.

God "chose" the nation of Israel as an instrument through which He would work His will and bring His plan for humanity forth into the world. I have often used Genesis 12:3 to explain my support the Israel, saying I'd just as soon not be cursed by Almighty God. However, the last part of that verse is the one pertinent to your question:

Genesis 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

God is telling Abraham that through his seed, "all the families of the world will be blessed." This, again, to my understanding, is a reference to the fact that Christ would emerge from the line of Abraham offering salvation - free of charge - to any who asked for it.

Further, the Jews have paid a heavy price for rejecting Christ as their Messiah. Christ Himself prophesied that the Jews would reject Him, and the Old Testament is chock full of prophecies of the coming Messiah, including the fact that the Jews would reject Him, Isaiah 53 chief among them:

4 Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

Within a generation of His crucifixion, the Jews were scattered to the four corners of the Earth; and in accordance with Christ's prophecy, their temple was razed to the ground. "Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. - Mark 13:2. The temple was so utterly destroyed, not because the Romans had any particular interest in destroying the religion of the Jews - the Romans were known for allowing the people of conquered lands worship in any way they chose - but because the Roman soldiers were after the GOLD which had melted from the heat of the burning temple, and had and run down between the cracks of the stones. They tore it apart, leaving "not one stone upon another," out of sheer greed. The Seige of Jerusalem.

In any case, any sane person looking at current events would have to conclude that SHTF is probably coming sooner rather than later. It's interesting to look for biblical connections but I dunno how necessary it is. Maybe I should try to be more forgiving, in preparation for my soul being judged, but my desire for some kind of justice against the criminals of this world is too strong. I mean, if my righteous desire to bring justice to this world and make the world a better place isn't from god, who is it from? Satan? Doesn't make sense either. I believe in forgiveness but not sitting there passively when the criminals are still murdering people. Oh well.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Observer99 because: addendum

It's not "necessary" to make the connections; it's going to happen the according to God's will - and according to His timetable - whether we are aware of the prophecies or not; I just think it's interesting. There is NOTHING that you, I, or anyone else can do to change or influence it in any way.

As far as your desire to be more forgiving, I have the same problem. We are told to "turn the other cheek," and I try to do that whenever possible. My problem is that sometimes I run out of cheeks. Wanting to "bring justice to this world" is an honorable desire, and I feel the exact same way. The only problem with that is that we are just men, and there is only so much we can do. It's going to take Divine intervention to bring true peace and justice to the world, and that time is rapidly approaching.

Finally, in regards to your soul, you are doomed, I am doomed, EVERYONE IS DOOMED - or we would have been had Christ not taken our punishment upon Himself; "The wages of sin is death" and all that. There is absolutely nothing that we can do to redeem ourselves; luckily, Christ has redeemed us with His blood.

Thank you Jesus, AMEN.

I'm off to answer the next question. BRB.

edit on 6/30/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

The descriptions of Behemoth, Levaiathan and many other creatures could be anything from an elephant to a hippo to a whale to a squid to a vulture and everything in between. Just because these creatures were described very fuzzily in the bible doesn't meant they were referring to dinosaurs.

And, they could just as easily be that of which they were described to be, and much more likely so

Really? So when the bible mentions a talking burning bush I guess we should take that at face value as well right?

I mean a talking burning bush.

Are you saying thats its impossible for a bush to burn in the desert?
You dont think God could speak from anywhere he so desired?
edit on 30-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by goldentorch
reply to post by OldCorp

Does it ever occur to any of the Religions that those we refer to variously as TPTB, Illuminati, Bilderburgs ad nauseum ad infitum, are seriously mixed in with the heads of religions. This is planning not prophecy.
The various religous early myths may perhaps have groundings in much earlier geophysical catastrophes. They had the means of record long before any hoi polloi, add a few MAN MADE wars on top of that and you end up with a populous running round like headless chickens begging to be subservient and pay any price to get 'their' Gods to stop shaking the world and shooting at them.
I don't care what prophecy says. In the case of geophysical activities religion nor their Gods can stop it, in the case of war it's usually the religious and their Gods starting it.

As I read through the thread last night I noticed a few references to "self-fulfilling prophecy," but since this is the first one I'll address it here, once.

Yes I can give you my own prophecy: "I'm going to have some breakfast and then go to work." Seems simple doesn't it? The only problem is that I'm not taking into account the actions of everyone else. I could get hit by a bus on my way to work, or maybe my toaster won't work, so I'll have to change my plans. Unless "TPTB" can control the actions of EVERY nation, every religion, and every faction, the self-fulfilling prophecy argument falls flat on its face. And if they could control everyone, why bother with a prophecy? They could more easily say, "Hey, we're in charge and this is the way it's going to be."

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sigung86

Sigung86 Said:
About the 3.5 Billion before man? How do you know... All we have to go on now is "scientific" evidence that man has only been around a very small amount of time. Could be we just haven't found the really old parts yet.

Wikipedia- Geologic Time Scale
-Wikipedia- Pre-Cambrian Period

Excepting a few contested reports of much older forms from USA and India, the first complex multicelled life forms seem to have appeared roughly 600 Ma. A quite diverse collection of soft-bodied forms is known from a variety of locations worldwide between 542 and 600 Ma. These are referred to as Ediacaran or Vendian biota. Hard-shelled creatures appeared toward the end of that timespan. The oldest fossil evidence of complex life comes from the Lantian formation, at least 580 million years ago.

So i suppose you're willing to believe Humans existed 3.5 billion years ago before the first Multi-cellular life; that we evolved from exists?

Lunacy
edit on 30-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Meet the burning bush.
Jojoba plant which produces Jojoba oil which can be used as a biofuel.

Now why he was hearing voices im not sure. But they say the echo on the mountain he was on was over whelming. And he did have all of Israel at the botom of the mountain building a golden cow.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
"Finally, in regards to your soul, you are doomed, I am doomed, EVERYONE IS DOOMED - or we would have been had Christ not taken our punishment upon Himself; "The wages of sin is death" and all that. There is absolutely nothing that we can do to redeem ourselves; luckily, Christ has redeemed us with His blood.

Thank you Jesus, AMEN."

I messed up the quote. But amen to that OP. This is critical in the process of being saved. Thats the direct path plain and simple. Everything else becomes a blurred paper trail mess. One could go nuts looking into all this stuff. I learned that usually a liar or someone stupid just blabs on and on and on about a subject while Jesus made it very simple:

American King James Version
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me.

And thats pretty much where it ends on the salvation part. The new age stuff coming out is pretty scary, even I fell for it believing we were gods within ourselves but still it seemed drawn out. The people attacking Jesus in our present day: The pope, music industry, hollywood movie industry, cable tv industry, internet, blogs, mainstream media, anti-this and that, and even clothing. All I could think is "How can people be so against Jesus, he preached a wonderful message that every person could live by, that is unless you can't avoid temptation"... Which I agree is hard, but thats exactly why Jesus died for our sins.

Jesus is going to be my attorney in God's judgment courtroom... May God have mercy

edit on 30-6-2011 by sting130u because: messed up, im new at this

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by jeanne75018
Please OldCorp, could you display another avatar? Displaying a weapon is not right. I feel it like an aggression towards me.
edit on 28/6/2011 by jeanne75018 because: (no reason given)

ha ha ha! Not only do you sound like a Frenchmen....you ARE a Frenchmen. Scared of a picture of a rifle? ha ha ha ha!!!

Seriously though, Iran is pretty stupid. We can see anything in the ground. No matter how far they dig. Before they were even done we knew they were going to put missiles in those silos.

I was going to say something along the same lines, but I thought I'd be nice. I find it amusingly ironic that the French are usually the ones saying "We don't like guns, and we don't like war," but they sure were grateful the two times in the last century when we used our weapons to help them when their Germanic neighbors wanted to enslave them.

On topic, yes the Iranian regime is pretty stupid. Things have never gone well for tinpot dictators who are so powerful in their own country that they think they are immune to outside influences. I remember Saddam saying that Americans would "swim in a sea of their own blood" during the runup to Desert Storm." Guess we showed him.

Then again, Ahmedwantsadinnerjacket thinks he has the Mahdi on his side. In fact, I hear that he is in secret communication with the Mahdi as we speak! And no, I'm not joking.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by Pervius

Is this war supposed to happen before or after the temple is rebuilt? I try to keep an open mind about this stuff, but there is so much to sift through. I find it hard to reconcile a merciful deity with a vengeful one.

The way I understand it, the war will come about BEFORE the rebuilding of the temple, most likely as a result of a peace treaty that ends it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Op, on the subject of the "Mahdi", have you heard of this Raj Patel fellow with Benjamin Creme? Getting alot of people hyped up over this Maitreya deal. Possibly a toe in the water testing their boundaries?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I mean a talking burning bush.

Are you saying thats its impossible for a bush to burn in the desert?
You dont think God could speak from anywhere he so desired?
edit on 30-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Wow get a brain seriously.

The most powerful being in the history of time immemorial decides to talk to Moses from behind a freaking bush. Phenomenal.

It's just like the Wizard of Oz who talks to Dorothy, Scarcrow, Tinman and the Lion from behind a curtain in a huge bellowing voice while portraying a fiery, scary looking thingamajig. Needless to say these people quake in their boots until they figure out he's a harmless old man who just happened to be a bit of a tinkerpot/science junkie/inventor whatever. Just turned out he was smarter than the rest of the denizens of Oz so he figured out how to make them fear him with a few special effects.

All you have to do is pull back the curtain but unfortunately for you brainwashed goons the curtain has completely smothered you that you don't know which way is up.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

HI GUYS!

Imagine this: dawn's breaking once again, only this time it is my 18-year-old waking me up after a few hours of sleep saying, in his best Eric Cartman imitation, "But Daaaad, I want to go fishing too! How come Adam always gets to have all the fun? What's he special or something?"

So, being the loving, pushover of a dad that I am, we ALL went fishing. We must not have been holding our mouths right or something because we only had a half dozen strikes all day; BUT - I'll say it again - NOTHING beats spending quality time with your children. If you're one of those folks who just doesn't have enough time in your busy schedule, I would highly recommend making time. I guarantee you won't regret it. "Cats in the Cradle" comes to mind. We're going out again in the morning (I'm gonna catch that damn 20lb catfish if it's the last thing I do.
)

You're doing wonders for people suffering from insomnia

Thank you Jesus, AMEN.

He can't hear you. He sold his laptop to Satan for a bag of weed and a couple of hookers

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Wow you write a whole post about Gog/Magog and don't even bring in any of the very detailed accounts of it in the Qu'ran?
Christians are so close-minded. They need to realize there were more prophets than Jesus. They also need to realize Jesus was *just* a prophet.

Jesus declared that he was the Son of God, a fact Muslims reject. If they reject His Divinity, relegating Him to the role of "prophet," then the Koran has nothing positive for me to quote from, and I do my best not to trash other people's beliefs.

It has been said that I'm "anti-Muslim" when nothing could be further from the truth. I believe that Islam is a false religion for a plethora of reasons that I won't go into here; but I have nothing against the PEOPLE who are honestly trying to worship the Almighty (as long as they are peaceful) in the best way they know how.

We are ALL children of God, and as such Muslims are my brothers and sisters. I may not agree with their religion, but I'm not going to badmouth them for believing the way they do (as long as they are peaceful.) Even in Christianity there are hundreds of different sects and I'm quite sure that NOBODY is 100% correct. The Bible has been interpreted in many ways; books that were once a part of it are no longer accepted, and it has been translated many times, not always successfully. The one ONLY thing that is required for salvation - and is common to all interpretations - is that the acceptance of Jesus Christ as the Son of God; acknowledging that He is the Savior of humanity, is the most important thing. It's so important, that there can be no salvation without it. As far as the minor theological differences between the various Christian sects, I'm counting on the Lord Himself to set us all straight on Judgment Day.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Fatgoblin

The bush did not burn up, as the fire did not consume it, which is intriguing rather than scary.
As a general rule, fire consumes. Yes?

Yet, the bush did not "burn up".

2There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up."

4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"

And Moses said, "Here I am."

5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

7 The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey—the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 9 And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. 10 So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." www.bibleview.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sting130u
Jesus is going to be my attorney in God's judgment courtroom... May God have mercy

Wouldn't it be fun if both jesus and god took off their disguises and brought out the pitchforks? I'd love to see all your faces then

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sting130u

Wouldn't it be fun if both jesus and god took off their disguises and brought out the pitchforks? I'd love to see all your faces then

That'd be no bueno

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Backslider

What other nation or group of people in the history of the world has been conquered and taken away into slavery - THREE TIMES - and dispersed throughout the entire world, only to be gathered together again after 2,000 years? That in itself is astonishing and unprecedented, but to have it predicted thousands of years ago defies logic unless there is Someone looking out for them, and using supernatural means to tell us all about it (and in the process giving that group of people hope that they have NOT been abandoned by their Father in Heaven and that one day they would once again be welcomed home to the land which was promised to them.)

First, OP, I admit I have not watched any video because I am in a position where I cannot. I did however read your entire post and your supporting sources. This isn't a new story by any means, and I feel fairly comfortable discussing the material.

A theory I would like to propose, as an alternate to prophecy inspired by a divine being:
Is it possible that because of the history of Israel and the Jews, how it was written into their scripture and then adopted by Christianity, that it has come to pass as reality simply due to the fact that so many believe in and pursue these ends?

For example; if you were to meet a psychic, and she prophesizes that you're going to meet a short, feisty redhead in the near future, and that this opportunity should not be passed up, as this girl is your soul-mate (destiny), when you saw any girl fitting that description would you not pursue this girl as if she truly were your destiny?

It is my argument that these "prophecies" have come to pass, at least in the opinions of the faithful, because of the same texts that predicted these events in the first place. The Jewish People held together and fulfilled these beliefs, precisely because they had written them for themselves in the past. The Hebrew Bible was both the plan and the glue to hold the plan together for 2500 years or so. It's a genius plan, and to date it continues to work on those of us who choose to believe it.

As others have stated, the prophecies in the Old Testament are either generic, as are most prophecies, so they could be applied to any number of situations; or they are written as an ancient "feel-good" story to keep a society of often-persecuted people together, because now they have faith that they will be triumphant and liberated in the end.

Do you think this is a possible explanation? I know your faith will fight it, but faith aside, using that right brain you were born with, could this be even a possibility?

I apologize that these ideas aren't as cleanly articulated as I would like, I'm writing in between moments of busy at work, and am losing my chain of thought over and over and over.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Backslider because: (no reason given)

Some prophecies could be interpreted differently, but please read the Old Testament prophecies that I posted a couple of posts back, under the "CHOCK FULL" link concerning Jesus, especially those relating to His crucifixion. He was abused in the EXACT manner that was foretold, right down to the injuries he suffered and the spear with which He was pierced. I doubt very seriously that the Roman guards who were personally responsible for His wounds had any interest in fulfilling a 1,500-year-old Jewish prophecy.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join