It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blah vs Blah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I have noticed that here on ats....if you are an Atheist, you must hate all Christians and have a super big ego. If you are a Christian, you must also have a super big ego and you are probably a nut. Oh...and if you are involved at all with any part of government you are automatically evil.
From my understanding, Above Top Secret is supposed to be a place where people can discuss items that possibly the mainstream doesn't feel comfortable with, without worrying about being treated like there is something wrong with you. People should be able to maturely share their ideas, beliefs (or lack thereof), opinions, etc....without having to worry about the same people bashing them for the same random reasons.
I do not understand why no one on here can just agree to disagree...especially about religion. You can not truly learn about nor understand other people unless you take the time to actually listen and really consider other sides. Yeah, someone thinks differently than you do, so instead of calling them stupid, or saying they are going to hell, or that they are crazy, how bout taking a moment and putting yourself in their shoes? Instead of just assuming you are right, how about actually really looking at all the other options? I think some people on here need to remember that just because they disagree...does not mean that they are right. Of course, it does not make them wrong either...but when it comes to some things, I do not think anyone really knows the right answer. Sometimes the answer for one thing changes depending on the situation and or the people involved.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Saya13

What fun would it be if there was no counter- argument?

Second line

Socrates "I Know that i Know Nothing"

I do not understand why no one on here can just agree to disagree...especially about religion.

Doesn't that statement sorta nullify itself?

edit on 28-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
reply to post by Saya13

Second line

I do not understand why no one on here can just agree to disagree...especially about religion.

I understand the need for counter-arguments, I just believe that many of the people on here have a tendency to argue without really thinking about what they are arguing about. As for my statement about agreeing to disagree, what I mean is, I do not understand why people have to constantly bash each other for thinking differently. Some things people are just never going to agree on, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just do not believe that gives anyone a reason to be mean or rude to each other.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
reply to post by Saya13

Second line

seems to me she isn't saying you shouldn't/can't argue but the wide generalizations are usually wrong and unnecessary.. ex- all christians are quacks or all atheists are pompous assholes etc etc

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by behindXtheXveil

Thank you it was hard for me to gather the meaning; i thank you for clarification >

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Obviously some people like to mix it up. I stay far away from the religious forums, for example. You could (and some do) get wound-up in an argument and waste many days of precious life trying to convince someone who cannot and will not be convinced, ever, of your argument.

But, as I say, some people *like* to mix it up. There's some sort of brain worm that makes them think that *this* time they'll be able to win the argument and go on to the next one. Makes 'em insane. And insane people don't just agree to disagree. Mutually induced and reinforced insanity: That's my 2 cents....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Obviously some people like to mix it up. I stay far away from the religious forums, for example. You could (and some do) get wound-up in an argument and waste many days of precious life trying to convince someone who cannot and will not be convinced, ever, of your argument.

But, as I say, some people *like* to mix it up. There's some sort of brain worm that makes them think that *this* time they'll be able to win the argument and go on to the next one. Makes 'em insane. And insane people don't just agree to disagree. Mutually induced and reinforced insanity: That's my 2 cents....

Star for you, I also stay away from the endless debates.
I don't bring anything new to your argument because you said it better than I could.
Efforts to change anyones mind on such a topic, are usually futile.
My overall opinion is this...

If the greatest minds of ALL time haven't been able to figure it out - your average, ordinary, everyday ATSer won't figure it out either.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
No Atheist is ever going to turn a Theist away from his/her religion, just like no Theist is ever going to convince an Atheist to be religious. It's completely stupid to try. Becoming religious, or abandoning faith is a personal choice, usually stemming from one's own experiences and/or emotions. Arguments are supposed to be carried out with logic, and logic is not going to change anyone's mind about religion.

So I'd agree, it's a complete waste of time to argue about it. I absolutely cannot stand these stupid threads about "I'm a Christian blah blah" or "I'm an Atheist blah blah" They just want to argue, and collect stars and flags. They aren't contributing anything to ATS, nor are they personally growing or learning because of those types of threads.

Personally I don't know if there is a god, I don't follow any religion at all, but I also don't buy into this whole Atheist movement. Even I'll admit many seem to be big headed, unsavory types. Believe what you believe, and keep it to yourself, no need to fight about it.

I'm still surprised so many people on here waste their time with religion vs atheist threads, what do you think you are accomplishing by taking part it them? The only thing you do is get stars, flags, and make enemies. If that's why you are here on ATS, cool, but I'm a little disappointed that it seems so many are like that.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Saya13

I believe what you say is very, very wise. I personally understand that there are many different perspectives in this world, and only by learning all of them do you understand the whole picture. Maybe each side has something to offer that the other doesn't?

When someone disagrees with something that I say, I often try to listen to their side, because I might learn something. I am not so committed to my beliefs that I will turn a blind eye to data that opposes them. In fact, I try to treat my "beliefs" more like knowledge - the more I learn, the more accurate they become.

I like to be able to back up my opinions with facts as much as possible, and when in discussion with other members of ATS, I like to respect their opinion and offer evidence for discussion rather than emotional attacks.

To end with, I personally believe that any truth in this universe will only be discovered when science and spirituality work together.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Here's a question for you. Who do you think is more likely to post in a thread someone who enjoys a good argument and could well be encouraged by the anonymity to be err less than civil or someone who is likely to shrug their shoulders and think to each their own.

Another thing to consider is that for every reply you get saying you're a freak and here's why there is likely to be ten readers who agree with or at least see your point.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Saya13

This is some real wisdom. There may be more than one way of life, well, there is. None of them are true - even science knows only so much, so really, atheists are only a reflection of what is known in the time period - so maybe a good thing to do would be to discuss how the philosophies interact and such rather than hate the people (who, most of the time, have no access to learning how another philosophy works, being involved in their choice).

In reality, we most of us are people who are reacting as best as we can to our surroundings, including our cultural ones.

Some people out there take advantage of a culture and make it do terrible things. I would find them accountable, in this case, and worth arguing with.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Saya13

People should be able to maturely share their ideas

Good luck with that.

join