It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appliance Disruptions Feared In Power Grid Test

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Appliance Disruptions Feared In Power Grid Test

www.cbsnews.com

A yearlong experiment with America's electric grid could mess up traffic lights, security systems and some computers - and make plug-in clocks and appliances like programmable coffeemakers run up to 20 minutes fast.

"A lot of people are going to have things break and they're not going to know why," said Demetrios Matsakis, head of the time service department at the U.S. Naval Observatory, one of two official timekeeping agencies in the federal government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-6-2011 by burntheships because: bolding emphasis mine

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
An interesting test to see how dependent our timekeeping is on the power grid?

"Is anyone using the grid to keep track of time?" McClelland said. "Let's see if anyone complains if we eliminate it." www.cbsnews.com...

I also wonder considering all of the hacking as of late...

Could this have anything to do with the Aurora Vulnerability?

Aurora being a vulnerablity to cyber attacks that could sabotage critical systems that provide electricity including the nationwide power grid.

unix.nocdesigns.com...

While this "test" wont affect cell phones, it will affect
clocks tied to the electric current.

Tom O'Brian head of the time and frequency division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology expects widespread effects.

Tweaking the power grid's frequency is expensive and takes a lot of effort, said Joe McClelland, head of electric reliability for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Is it really a cover for CME activity? Are they expecting issues.

edited due to being completey wrong about digital clocks

edit on 27-6-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Y2K11? This sounds awesome, my electronics have been working way too well lately.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

Interesting, that thought crossed my mind too.

I found a slightly more indepth article here from The New York Times.

Eight futures, built around different policy options

So yeah, that AP article certainly was short on the facts.

This summer, a series of computer runs will flesh out eight possible scenarios for the future shape of generation and transmission resources in 2020-2030 throughout the interconnection, the synchronized network of high-voltage power lines east of the Rocky Mountains.

Representatives from industry, state regulatory commissions, regional transmission organizations, environmental groups and consumer organizations have created the scenarios to test the impact of a wide range of possible energy policies on the Eastern grid.

The project is funded by two Energy Department stimulus grants. One, for $12 million, went to the Eastern Interconnection Planning Collaborative (EIPC), representing grid managers and industry. A second, $14 million grant was awarded to the Eastern Interconnection States Planning Council (EISPC), a parallel organization of regulators from 39 states, the District of Columbia and eight Canadian provinces. Both groups come together in the project's steering committee. DOE has funded similar studies in the Western Interconnection and the Texas grid

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Y2K lite. I should be OK, I'm running Windows 98.

Funny there was a recent thread about a 20 minute time lapse in a small Italian town recently. Perhaps they were testing their griglia.

Good to know, thanks.

/MD

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is very interesting. I noticed a 4 min difference between my car and some bank clocks but paid no attention, now I wonder if this had anything to do with it.

I was reading a thread on clocks running fast in Italy, I guess we will experience something similar.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Interesting. I live in San Diego and yesterday my internet, service provider, was down as it didn't have a "strong enough signal"!!

ALL DAY! It totally sucked........

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MaskedDebater

Funny that they would do this in the middle of the peak season for air conditioning...

And look at this article, it basically says that "Americans" will stop setting their clocks by the grid
as the clocks will not be accurate?

This is a bit uncalled for...I mean the coffee maker wont match the stove, and the car
wont match the phone, and what about the bedside Sony dream machine thingy?

By Rob Wilmot
In the US, the power supply has been so precise that Americans set their clocks by it, but it seems that the Americans will soon stop using this idea because an experiment with the electric grid may make plug-in clocks and devices to run up to 20 minutes fast.

The U.S. power grid is run by a group and it is learnt that the change proposed by the group has the potential to disrupt electric clocks in schools, hospitals and other institutions. The new change will also affect the timing of traffic lights, security systems, sprinklers and some personal-computer software and hardware.

Electric clocks have maintained the time based on the rate of the electrical current that powers them since 1930 a slight change in the current affects the movement of the clock. Steps are taken by the power companies to keep the frequency of the current as precise as possible in order to prevent any trouble.

www.technologynewsline.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing

I do fail to see how digital clocks that are independant of the actual current will be affected. Tuning frequency would affect motors but not digital clocks. microwaves, hi fi etc... 50Hz to 51 hz etc

SURE it can. If it's plugged in, and uses the AC line for a time base, which most appliances do that have a secondary clock function, like your microwave, stove, coffee maker etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

I do fail to see how digital clocks that are independant of the actual current will be affected. Tuning frequency would affect motors but not digital clocks. microwaves, hi fi etc... 50Hz to 51 hz etc

SURE it can. If it's plugged in, and uses the AC line for a time base, which most appliances do that have a secondary clock function, like your microwave, stove, coffee maker etc.

yes I stand corrected, I am completely wrong. Ignore my bad electronics

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustBreathe11

I was reading a thread on clocks running fast in Italy, I guess we will experience something similar.

Thanks for your article on Italy...I suspect there has to be more than we are told, here is why.

"Is anyone using the grid to keep track of time?" McClelland said. "Let's see if anyone complains if we eliminate it." www.cbsnews.com...

Eliminate it? Why???

Whats interesting, I live in an area that does not get cell phone reception...yeah imagine that.

My internet goes out all of the time, so...I guess I will call time? I mean, seriously, what the heck?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by JustBreathe11

Eliminate it? Why???

I originally read this and just thought they were making a joke, but re reading it it has a very uncomfortable sinister tone.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

Actually, I agree. I was just digging around, added this to the OP too,
Look at this, have you ever heard of the Aurora Vulnerability?

Considering all of the hacking as of late...
Might this have anything to do with the Aurora Vulnerability?

Aurora being a vulnerablity to cyber attacks that could sabotage critical systems that provide electricity including the nationwide power grid.

unix.nocdesigns.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I did find a video about the Aurora Vulnerability and any spinning machine connected to the power grid -- such as a generator, pump or turbine -- could be attacked to self-destruct. These attacks could easily be carried out on vulnerable equipment using the Internet

www.youtube.com...

I also, found this about the Aurora Vulnerability and Windows IE.

www.youtube.com...

I also just had a light bulb come on about the smart grid, and the smart meters.

Hmmmm...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Interesting article. Does the cyber attacking fit in with a national plan to tune the electrical grid?

Does this provide opportunity windows for cyber attacks? AND... is it intentional.

If the internet went down, corporations and debt records IE USA debt, assets etc would become "lost"

Or is it simply a cover up for known CME events that are currently unknown to the masses.

Makes for a good scapegoat me thinks...

We erm.. we were adjusting the power grid and it went all bad... all bad...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Nice find! I dont think that the aurora vulnerability has anything to do with this particular test as it would not affect the internet connection between the hacker and the hackee.

It will however affect the system clocks of anything using the frequency of the grid to measure time.

I do find the aurora paper and interesting read though.

It is obvious to most that by over complicating the grids comms tools to allow remote access by management and employees could cause a catastrophic problem further down the track. The 1mill diesel generator sited in the report is a very good example of paramaters of an expensive and sensitive piece of equipment being remotely changed to cause such an incident.

And while the inner hacker in me cheers "awesome job mate!! Way to go!!" (as it really is quite a feat to nail that.) the peacefull helpfull person inside says.. "holy poo poo! why the hell would anyone allow remote access to such a sensitive piece of kit?!!?!?! are you stupid?!?!!"

The failure has been made by the police before when they allowed their computer networks to stream closed circuit cameras of inside the police stations... if they are online.. and are streaming.. then its accessable remotely.... if you can hack that shiz... and looking at some of the new bread of hackz0rz out there at the moment... i would be very concerned about making such equipment "hackable".

excellent find!!! thanks for posting!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
damned double lagg post! =(
edit on 28-6-2011 by w3nd1g0 because: doubled up and singled out!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I find this all way too suspect! I mean I get all the explanations on why this would happen but, seriously, why would messing with the powergrid to cause electric appliances run fast?

I get that maybe not having "enough" power to the grids would cause them to run slow, or not at all. What I don't get is the clocks running fast. Like someone said above, this is happening in Italy too!

There is something amiss here and I believe this is a front for something else. I agree it could be due to CMEs but what about Earth passing thru a magnetic cloud???

I feel it won't be long before things get even stranger. LIke stepping into the Twilight Zone.

Maybe ATSers will be able to connect the dots and we'll find out.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

We erm.. we were adjusting the power grid and it went all bad... all bad...

Thats entirely possible...

A little more on your scenario.

paintbrushsage.blogspot.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join