It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Franco attempts to sell "Non-Visible" Art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
James Franco (Best known from playing Harry Osborn in Spiderman) is selling art that is, yes, invisible. I don't know whether or not to call him nuts or a genius, because I'm sure someone will bite.

On its Kickstarter campaign website, the project is described as: As an extravaganza of imagination, a museum that reminds us that we live in two worlds: the physical world of sight and the non-visible world of thought. Composed entirely of ideas, the Non-Visible Museum redefines the concept of what is real. Although the artworks themselves are not visible, the descriptions open our eyes to a parallel world built of images and words. This world is not visible, but it is real, perhaps more real than the world of matter, and it is also for sale. For potential patrons, Franco and Praxis warn you that: "When you contribute to this Kickstarter project, you are not buying a visible piece of art!" But they assure that your investment will be worthwhile due to the participatory nature of the project. Although buyers will not receive a painting or sculpture, they receive a description, and are free to do what they wish with this description: You will receive a title card with a description of a piece of art, as well as a letter of authentication. You may mount this card on a blank wall in your home or gallery. What comes next is up to you! The artwork comes to life—and takes on full personal meaning—in your imagining and describing of it, both to yourself and to your visitors. You may also choose to sell the non-visible artwork to another collector, to exhibit it elsewhere, or to lend it back to Praxis when we take the Non-Visible Museum on tour.

Huffington Post

Either way I'd love to see a list of anyone who actually "pledges." That should be a good laugh.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Well I am now an artist and will be sending in for my free gov money to make invisible auditoriums for soundless choirs.

But in all reality cool, franco is funny and a great actor imo and I look forward to see what he does with this.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
So does this mean that imaginative writers can now become "artists"?

Monet and Rembrandt are rolling over in their graves at this crap.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I can appreciate his ideas, but calling it an exhibit, museum or what is ridiculous IMO.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Reminds me of a book. When reading, the individual imagines what the characters and settings feel/look like; it is all subjective. If I were reading a description of the piece of "art" it would be my subjective visualization and unique to my imagination. Can't say I'd ever buy this type of art but the concept feels the same to me.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm thinking another hollywood whore whose going nuts.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I would prolly bid a nice healthy middle finger.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well, I doubt this is about money since he probably doesn't need it, so that makes me think that he believes in his idea. There is no middle ground here in my opinion. Either you think this is utter stupidity, crazy, etc, or you think its genius. I understand what he's going for, but it still leaves me scratching my head...I could understand maybe just one of these "pieces," sort of like when artists make a painting of just a solid color...But to have an entire exhibit full of "nothing" really makes me wonder.

I suppose it will encourage any visitors to use their imaginations, which is a great thing, because much of our power comes from the subconscious, the imagination.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm and artist myself, and I create works that are from inspiration. I could never be satisfied knowing that what I'm looking at is someone else's idea.
edit on 27-6-2011 by KEMIK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think his highness has an eye for the emperor's new art.

When I see this I think genius, and I laugh right with him.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The huffington post should give him a job to write non-existent stories for their invisible readers.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Brilliant! I'm watching Freaks and Geeks right now (literally) and enjoying Franco's character where he looks high in the opening sequence. It reminds me of his role in Pineapple Express where he's high. Come to think of it, there's a theme going on. I can just see him toking up with his buddies and saying, "Hey man, do you know what would make great art? Nothing."

Okay, couldn't resist the drug jokes but really...brilliant. Very existential. It's not the "nothing" that is the art it's the concept. Certainly better than some art installations I can thing of (like a pile of garbage in the corner of a museum-true story.) It cracks me up and makes me think. That's the best kind of project in my book.

I'm and artist myself, and I create works that are from inspiration. I could never be satisfied knowing that what I'm looking at is someone else's idea.

But that's just the point. All art is subjective. Regardless of what is painted, sculpted, photographed, or created, the material may come from the artist, but the interpretation comes from the viewer/experiencer of that art. Even reading a book--the words, the story might be the writers but the visual imagery is purely in the imagination of the reader. I highly doubt you tell everyone who sees your art what to think about it, how to interpret it. That is why this is such an amazing idea, because it strips that subjectivity down into an absolutely raw form.

edit on 27-6-2011 by coyotepoet because: quote and response

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
pssst.... i just broke in at the museum of non visible art!
here is a non visible picture of this priceless piece of art
have a look

isn't it fabulous.
any buyers?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

So does this mean that imaginative writers can now become "artists"?

I always thought they were!
edit on 27-6-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am not surprised and I am not impressed. When a lie is created, even if it is masked in "creative imagination", and is expressed, then the Soul encapsulates a Demon which allows the "user" to see the lie as real.

When the lie is perpetuated to others the seeds of these lies also perpetuates. Most carry Demons within them so it is not hard at all to participate in such things.

In other words! These people are messed up! Really messed up and their Demons have taken them to a level beyond repair. Why not join them and experience for yourself? Because you have a Soul and you know better that is why! If this is of any interest then you may not understand clearly enough because you are already lost to it.

Don't buy into this Demonic nonsense! These folks have already lost their Souls and they don't even know it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This one is great. "Shelved"

Franco's art debut at Venice Biennale shelved

"James Franco has decided to postpone the opening of Rebel to a later date during the exhibition, so that his vision for the project can be fully realised," said the spokesman.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

The world really has gone nuts if this character sells any of this alleged "art." I've got a truck load of Monopoly fiat currency I can sell at face value and a bunch of little paper properties on a board along with houses and stuff. If you think real hard and use your imagination, they might just become real. Only might though. Offer not valid where prohibited by law, no guarantees, warranties or usefullness implied.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

join