It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this tinfoil hat make my butt look fat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I was watching TV this weekend and happened to stumble upon the ultimate conspiracy theory movie of all time: JFK which is based on Jim Marrs' book Crossfire. I was enjoying the movie in between my daughter constantly asking me if it would be over soon (she wanted to watch X-files. I kept telling her "not much longer" but, its a REALLY long movie) when I noticed something odd during the commercial breaks.

During every commercial break, I noticed that they were showing commercials for some weight loss product. At first, I figured that the company must be sponsoring the movie but, I soon noticed that it wasn't the same company each commercial break. There were commercials for weight loss programs, diet sodas, yogurt, dozens of different diet pills, exercise machines, gyms end aerobics videos. Not one single beer commercial.

It got me to thinking what these advertisers must think about conspiracy theorists. I've got a little gut on me and I'm not as fit as I was when I was younger but, I don't consider myself to be fat. It made me wonder where they go the impression that CTers are a bunch of fatties?

Sure, I know we sit around our computers late at night raving about how the government is out to get us but, that doesn't mean we're all big tubs of lard just waiting for a heart attack.

Is there something about the CT community that would give advertisers this impression? Are there a lot of fat people hanging out on ATS? Does my tin foil hat really make my butt look big?

...Or, am I just a typical paranoid conspiracy theorist who sees sinister patterns everywhere?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Perhaps the advertisers portray CT's that way is so to keep people from wanting to delve further into the conspiracies. Marginalize the CTers.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
i don't think the companies decide during what shows their ads go on i think they just pay for a time and what ever is playing during then is what it airs around

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

No.. A lot of thought goes in to ad placement

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

"...Or, am I just a typical paranoid conspiracy theorist who sees sinister patterns everywhere?"

could be, rabbit, could be. with the USA sporting high numbers of overweight people and the huge amount of press this receives, it almost makes sense to be in the weight loss business these days.

there are certain times of year the weight loss / exercise gadget & DVD folks really plaster the airwaves. December and January is their boom time. lots of people with lots of high hopes making New years resolutions. advertisers don't care if folks follow through they just want to sell the dream.

also...there is the matter of perception. like you buy a used Red Volkswagon. next thing you know, you're seeing used Red Volkswagons all over the roads! holy moly! in reality they've been there the whole time. its just that now your attention is focused on something new in your life and your perception regarding it sharpens.

when i used to 'diet' the TV showed non-stop fast foods, candy bars, snacky cakes, yummy sugary beverages, holy crap, it was enough to make me scream. i finally realized your diet is whatever your putting in your pie hole.

most folks do not take good care of themselves. most folks in the USA are out of shape and overweight. at least from what TV & the 'net tells us. and from what i see when i look in the mirror or go food shopping or to Wal-Mart.

really important: it's the warm time of year. people who should not wear shorts and sleeveless shirts are letting it all hang out. it's a great time to push diet & work-out stuff. believe you me, it ain't selling where i live!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Not the picture I wanted
Where's the hat?

Anyways, I figure they get that picture from the common image of computer nerds. Overweight, out of shape, pimples, drinking Mt Dew, eating hot pockets, etc.., and these people do indeed exist, there is no doubt! But..but.. but I say, but what they don't take in account is how common computers are these days. I know grandmas who are online all damn day. I just added my 8 year old god daughter on FaceBook. She was mad I didn't accept her friend request, and that's because I'm never on it so I didn't know!

I consider myself a CT but I gave up Mt Dew years ago. That stuff is nasty, I don't get the appeal
edit on 27-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
im willing to bet my life savings that over 50% of ats users are overweight to some degree.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm not up on TV and the current trend in commercials, but...

Next time you visit your local supermarket...or your local whatever, look around. How many fit people do you see?

I can skew the numbers, wealthier areas tend to be more fit, but If I traveled a straight line through my City, I'd find mostly overweight people.

I would expect these commercials to be common. Do you only see them when viewing conspiratorial topics? If so, those advertisers are missing a larger (sorry!) market.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

ohh like i said i think thats how it goes, but i guess im wrong

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I wouldn’t be at all surprised.

Having worked in advertising for many years myself, I know that a great deal of research is put into just who – in terms of demographics, psychographics and consumption behaviour – watches what programmes on TV.

If the media industry thinks conspiracy theorists are fatsos, it means a large proportion of them probably are.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It's funny you would mention the stereotypical "Fat, CTist, who lives with his mother".

Yesterday, in my never ending quest to find a part time job for the summer I went into this place called Gamebox. I'd never heard of it, but they had a 'Help Wanted' sign in the window so I walked in.

The guy behind the counter was about 400 pounds, with a mullet, wearing a 'Gears of War 3' t-shirt. Now my girlfriend worked at Gamestop last summer so she told me not to be deterred by the weirdos that work in these places so I walked in and started asking the man about his openings.

There was a computer in the background with GLP up on screen and I commented on how I was a member of ATS and he sent me a mean look. He asked me my opinion on 9/11 and if I believed the Government to be behind it. Being the smartass I asked if it was relevant to the job opening and he responded that it would matter significantly.

I answered his question by walking out of that place. Not in a rude way, I just insisted that the job was obviously not for me. Lol.

What a coincidence.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

I don't think he was being serious lol

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Hahahaha. I believe he was.

The look in his eyes when I said ATS, I think a part of him died.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

I think you lost any chance of getting that job when you told that GLPer you hang out here. Probably worked out for the best for you though.

I think its hilarious that you ran into the real CT version of Comic Book Guy. If you ever go back there make sure you get a pic of that guy and post it in the funny pics thread. It would be especially funny if you could get the GLP screen in the background.

The caption for the pic should read "Worst thread EVER!"

edit on 6/28/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I didn't even think of that! I'll have to drive by and get a picture of him....in a non-creepy way of course haha.

But, I do think the stereotype is quite.....strong in the public's eyes.

new topics

join