It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers oppose order to forcibly medicate Loughner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Lawyers oppose order to forcibly medicate Loughner

www.cnn.com

A federal judge ordered the government to respond by Tuesday to a legal challenge against a decision to forcibly medicate Arizona shooting suspect Jared Lee Loughner in a federal prison.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
My apologies if this was already posted. I did multiple searches and manually looked through breaking news and I didn't see it.

Apparently, tomorrow the judge will make a ruling on this "emergency motion", as the prison decided on their own to forcibly medicate him. I personally believe that if he's unfit to stand trial, he is unfit to decide what medications he should be taking.

When I first read it I immediately thought no way, he has the right to choose, and can you imagine what he might think if he's as bad as they say? That they're intentionally poisoning him or something. But after consideration, he can't have it both ways. He can't be so mentally ill that he can't be tried/punished, and refuse treatment. It seems illogical.

What really irks me is how many people in the comments section of this article are calling for his death. No trial, no jury, just shoot him down now...

What do you think?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I think he is clearly mentally ill. I read his writings, watched his video, and even to my untrained eye, the boy is delusional, no doubt at all.

He absolutely should NOT be put to death. He is sick. He needs to be cared for. Its not his fault that our society has its priorities so backasswards that even though he has clearly been mentally ill for years, no one has cared enough to treat him, and that resulted in his shooting someone.

And, they should be able to force him to take medications. Like you said, if he is too mentally ill to stand trial, he is also too mentally ill to decide his own care. I dont think they should be allowed to do him permanent harm, (like a lobotomy) but any medications that do not carry a serious risk to his health should be given to him to help make him well.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What do they want to give him?

The chemical lobotomy?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
What do they want to give him?

The chemical lobotomy?

Neither article said, but I would assume the Thorazine special

(I assume that because I have an aunt who's schiz and thats what she takes and functions perfectly normal on it, without it, she's totally a frootloop)
edit on 27-6-2011 by Forevever because: cereal killer

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i dont think he deserves to die however if he is not going to a real prison he should not be able to choose his medical care

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee
i dont think he deserves to die however if he is not going to a real prison he should not be able to choose his medical care

The point is he's not even mentally fit to be TRIED, he's just hanging around a prison hospital right now. They want to medicate him, his lawyers say he has a right to refuse.... but I think he gave up that right when he was found UNFIT.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
wait do i understand this right? They want to medicate him to stand trial for something he did when he wasn't taking anyhting for his mental problems? Doesn't make sense to me

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
wait do i understand this right? They want to medicate him to stand trial for something he did when he wasn't taking anyhting for his mental problems? Doesn't make sense to me

I had to read that twice
He has to be fit to stand trial
His conviction will take into account that he was ill at the time of the crime though
I'm pretty sure this guy is going to spend the rest of his life in an institution no matter how it ends up

but you've got a good point.... if he does take his medication, can he get better? and if he gets 100% better (at least in our eyes) can he be acquitted? and if he's acquitted, who's going to make sure he continues to take his medication when he's free - its not like schizophrenia goes away... my aunt seriously goes loopy if she stops hers, even after 20 years.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

My attitude to this is simple. If a man is incapable by reason of mental defect of defending himself or taking responsibility for a criminal act that he commited while so affected, then he cannot be expected to make an informed , and therefore reasonable assesment as to wether or not to accept treatment.
In this case, responsibility for that form of descision making ought to be left to his next of kin, assuming there are any willing to speak for him.
In any case, it would only be a matter for the courts, or prison officials , if there were no next of kin, or if he were in fact mentaly capable, and if he were that, he would be at trial.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee

He's a manchurian.

Why kill him off? All they'll do is create another brainwashed assassin to replace him.

Do they want to forceably deprogram him?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just wanted to update since its my thread.
Was unable to find a ruling "yet" - but I did find this article
www.networknews.info...

I read this twice and it appears that until the Judge makes an actual ruling on the motion, Loughner is still being forcibly treated because.....

Dr. Carlos Tomelleri, a psychiatrist evaluating Loughner, cited three recent outbursts by the 22-year-old college dropout as justification for administering medication to him against his will, the documents said.

I don't know how good a source networknews is, but its pretty close to what MSM was dishing, with that one added detail.

So its not like they were all sitting around having coffee, and gossiping about the new Schiz on the block, who is sitting quietly in his cell. He was clearly violent.

And I also want to agree with TrueBrit - if any of his family is willing to take responsibility, the courts or the doctors can easily ask their permission to treat, just to avoid all the controversy (though I still think they should be able to treat without it).

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
its too bad his handler died, that MKUltra stuff can mess with you pretty bad when youre not being directed anymore

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Update: ATS Thread, "Score One For Freedom! Court Rules Forced Meds Are a No-No"
Thats their choice of title, not mine.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Forevever because: disclaimer

new topics

top topics

join