It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of PA threatening to take over capitol,Harrisburg, install unelected officials to oversee city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
www.fox43.com...

"People in Harrisburg protesting proposed Senate Bill 1151. That Bill would allow a state takeover of the Capitol City."

"The Bill would allow a state takeover if the city doesn't accept the Act 47 plan. "It would forbid the city to declare bankruptcy, and so of course it takes away the rights of the voters who elected officials like me to carry out the duties we have in Harrisburg, " says Harrisburg City Council Member Brad Koplinski."

Basically the city of Harrisburg is close to bankruptcy, and the State of Pennsylvania threatened to take over the city if they don't sign a bill that will not let them claim bankruptcy. It would throw out all of the democratically elected officials and put leadership of the city in the hands of three unelected officials.
edit on 27-6-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It just gets more and more over the top. I'm from Pittsburgh so this would obviously affect me. People take it, what can you expect?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
this is just nuts. I live outside the city. It's strange to me to put ppl in power who no one elected. although, the person currently that is the mayor (linda tompson) no one likes, so bad choice on those that voted her in.

harrisburg's biggest problem is the incinerator. the mayor before did do a bit of good for the city, but the new mayor is just an idiot.

she spent what over $80,000 redoing the mayors office because mayor reed smoked in there. all the while harrisburg was growing more & more in debt yet somehow that was a must.

while i dont agree that they should just give power to ppl no one elected to be in that position. something needs to be done, i just don't know if anything they have proposed thus far is the answer.

i am sure we may see more of this in the future in cities around the country, and i am pretty sure this has already happened in michigan.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well the people who WERE elected are obviously not fixing the problems, because constantly I am reading in the paper about all of the issues plaguing Harrisburg. What harm will it do to let the state take over? If something gets done, then good. People need to get over themselves; if they're not able to do their jobs, they can be replaced by people who will.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well someone has to clean that dump up. If they want taxpayers to bail them out again they better expect someone else to call the shots for a while.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I agree that the city is a mess, but it isn't necessarily all of the current elected officials that made that mess. The current crop in charge may actually be trying to right the ship. It is a dangerous precedent to throw them all out though as states may take liberties to do this and more extreme actions in other areas. However I have heard from many sources that Harrisburg's current mayor is a real piece of work, I even seen her dancing in a window provoking protesters in front of her office, disgusting.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It appears that officials all over this country are starting to lose their minds.
Unless lack of funds/revenue/cash is starting to drive people bananas.
Hell, at this point I'm starting to wonder if HAARP or something like that is to blame (and that's saying a lot for me, lol)

top topics

join