It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

using quantum teleportation as propulsion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

This author would like to propose a third (and even a fourth) application of quantum teleportation, an application with implications at least as far-reaching as the two mentioned above: propulsion.

It should be possible to apply quantum teleportation to the problem of deep-space propulsion; not only is such an application possible, but, if implemented, would revolutionize space travel, even to the point of making interstellar travel (both manned and unmanned) truly feasible for the first time.

Interestingly, the initial steps of applying teleportation as a propulsion method can be taken using present-day technology.

In brief, the idea is to apply quantum entanglement to ion propulsion. An ion drive system is a form of rocket propulsion which uses a stream of charged particles, or ions, as a rocket exhaust.

Ion drives typically yield far lower thrust-to-weight ratios than traditional chemical rockets, but because of their much slower fuel burn rate they can gradually accelerate a spacecraft to speeds that no chemical rocket can reach.

Ion propulsion was used on NASA's highly successful Deep Space 1 probe, in the form of a solar-electric drive, that is, an ion drive in which solar panels provide the electrical power that is used to excite the fuel material to produce the ion stream that propels the craft. Interestingly, cesium is one of the materials that has been used as a fuel in ion rockets.

www.spacedaily.com...

I came with this topic after reading the story and I would like to know what you all think of it is it really possible to be done?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Wow very interesting link! I never knew that quantum teleportation had these kinds of applications. So basically instead of creating propellant on the ship via a reactor of either fusion of fission means, you could theoretically teleport the energy straight to the ship in deep space from earth! I also like the idea of setting up an array of solar panels around the sun and teleporting them to deep space ships. This could defiantly provide the first applicable means of interstellar travel, as the ships drive would be propellantless!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
In brief, the idea is to apply quantum entanglement to ion propulsion. An ion drive system is a form of rocket propulsion which uses a stream of charged particles, or ions, as a rocket exhaust.

Inertia is one of the properties teleported in quantum entanglement? Also, quantum entanglement (aka teleportation) does not involve making an object that wasn't there be there. If a mass in the space ship is entangled with some mass on earth, then once that mass has been used for propulsion, its gone. Quantum entanglement does not mean taking some particle in room A and having it magically appear in room B. It means taking two particles and 'entangling' them, such that when certain properties of one are altered (like the spin) then the other one instantly acquires the same property.

were two specimens of cesium (to take one example; other materials would also work) to be entangled on earth, then one of the specimens lofted into space, exciting the earthbound cesium sample to produce ions would result in the space-traveling cesium sample becoming energetically excited and producing ions like its earthbound counterpart.

Ah, there ya go. Enginless drive, but still requiring fuel. Quite clever.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Its definitely possible along with all of the other theoretical methods for deep space travel out there. I add this to the list of tantalizing prospects that only require technological advances to catch up to make them a reality.

I really think that man's only hope at this point is to colonize space and get some of us off this planet...before a major disaster be it man made or natural does it for us.

Grand statement over...

top topics

join