It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illnes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Would it even exist if there was no society? I mean if we think about it, most mental ilness is brought on by the stress of life, money, property, consumption and the ability to consume. My question is, had we never left the caves, would we ever have had anything to qorry about worthy of causing a mental ilness? ?Yes I realise that there is those that has done well out of Civilixation, mr Rockefella, Rothschild, Hates ext ect. But the majority of the world live in poor circumstances, always chasing the dollar. What makes that any better of a life than living in a cave with your only concern where to find water and food?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
there would be other stuff to chase as always. but mental illness seems to be more like the differnce between humans, everyone has some mental illness we just don't have a classification for it yet or you are not so mentaly ill that it gets to be diagnosed.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Since the beginning of man I think there has been mental illness, chemical imbalance is a huge part, and some people just don't have the ability to use parts of their brain for reason and logic. Like some forms of Autism and things like that, the history of what we as a society did to the mentally ill in the past two hundred plus years is just shocking and embarrassing. In the mid evil ages they were burned because they thought demons haunted the mentally ill. In later years we willfully experimented on them, cutting into their bodies and brains to "fix them". It's disgusting really and is the major reason that even today it is to some a badge of humiliation instead of just an illness. I encourage everybody who can handle it to go to a sanatorium and if you do please post your reaction. That's my two cents anyways.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am mentally ill, I just do not understand how nature could bring this on naturally. My illness appears to me man made, its all about institutions control over the populace.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
I am mentally ill, I just do not understand how nature could bring this on naturally. My illness appears to me man made, its all about institutions control over the populace.

So, you believe chasing the dollar has made you ill then?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I havent necessarily been chasing the dollar, I was allowed to het myself into a poor financial situation when I was too young to have known the concequences and since then I have been a slave to the bankers paying back what I owed then but always left in the position to have to borrow more. I hope they reap their rewards come judgement day because whilst they enjoy their bonuses, I will tinker on the verge of distruction.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Would it even exist if there was no society?

The simple answer is no. It would not exist...at least not as we know it now....society has been able to study and diagnose people based on what we learn.

For example diabetes would not exist as we know it today either...I mean sure the disease would be there, but the knowledge of how to diagnose and treat it would not exist...you would just die.

Does that make you any less sick? No...it just means that back in the day it was not known what was wrong or where it came from...but with new science there comes new solutions...and problems sometimes.

If your curious about how old mental illness is and how early people where diagnosed with a problem...you should google treppaning....Nevermind...HERE... is a link...it has been around for centuries...almost dates back as far as mankind itself.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yea, mental illnesses have always been present in humans. The first trepanning (drilling holes into the brain to let 'spirits' out) started over 10000 years ago and were just as survivable as modern brain surgery. However, the treatment of people with a mental illness in the past was much better than it is now, for instance, if you were schizophrenic back then, the chances were that you'd become a shamen. As long as you weren't a danger to the tribe, there'd always be a role for you. Mild depressions would usually just last the winter season though, instead of going on for years. Interbreeding could have also had a huge effect on localised people...and hunting accidents.
Stress, these days, and the possible resulting mental illnesses have been linked with low magnesium and vitamin group B levels, according to the Optimum Nutrition Bible, depression, dimentia and death are directly linked to malnutrition due to the B vitamin groups...which can be in turn linked with low magnesium levels. You need magnesium in your system to anchor the B vitamins. Please don't take this as a diagnosis though...if you eat too much bread, biscuits or pastry it could be that you are trying to get more B vitamins ( they are added to flour ), too much flour can lead to diabetes. If you crave chocolate, its a tell-tale sign of low magnesium levels. Good luck

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I think it would exist even if we had a different sort of society. Mental illness is not just brought on by stresses, chemicals in our food and water, etc. Those things may contribute a great deal to it, but they are not the only causes.

Mental illness is reported as far back as we have writing. Some studies have indicated that some mental illnesses, (bipolar, schizophrenia) may be the result of an infection while the mother is pregnant, (like a flu) and the resulting immune response triggering a virus that is in our very DNA.

www.popsci.com...

Turns out, schizophrenia may be more than just a disease in concept, but actually a virus itself. According to new research, as much as eight percent of the human genome consists of viruses that inserted themselves into our DNA for replication, including the gene that causes schizophrenia.

I think we could order society MUCH better than we currently do, in order to assure human happiness, and to facilitate our fulfillment as beings. Much, much better. I think our society is actually designed to make us UN happy, as unhappiness drives consumption of goods we hope will make us happier, and because the majority of humans are not very thoughtful, we have designed our society on the premise that "more" will make us happier, when in fact, it really doesnt, and in fact that whole ideology traps us in a miserable and doomed spiral.

Philosophers have long contemplated human happiness, and how to live a "good" life, in harmony with our own nature, and nature in general. And at least one of them succeeded in figuring out how we could do that. (Plato)

The problem is that humans dont really know what would make them happy, and what they think will, wont, and what will make them happy, they find beneath contempt compared to the trinkets and superficial pleasures they believe will satisfy them, and so we never have, (and likely never will) actually live the good life that satisfies the majority of people in a real and deep way.

But even if we did live that perfect for us life, there would still be people who were plagued by various illnesses, mental illness included.

I doubt, however, that there would be even a fraction of the number of people suffering from the more minor mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, and neurosis. I firmly believe that many of those conditions would shrink to almost nothing if society were designed to serve humans, and humanity, and with human happiness as a goal, rather than growth and profit.

new topics

top topics

join