It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Concern for Detainees in Israel-Palestine Unbalanced

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Yet more evidence of the double standard Western States use when dealing with Israel:

Montreal, June 27, 2011 -- In a strongly-worded statement Friday, June 24, Canada's foreign minister John Baird called for the immediate and unconditional release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit. Baird also called for Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, which captured Shalit five years ago, to allow the International Committee of the Red Cross immediate access to Shalit. Shalit was captured during an attack on an army base in southern Israel by Hamas and other armed Palestinian groups June 25, 2006. He has been denied any meaningful contact with the outside world since. Neither Minister Baird's June 24 statement, nor any other statement issued in recent years by Canada's foreign affairs ministers, mention any of the 5,383 Palestinians currently imprisoned by Israeli authorities. Approximately 219 are in "administrative detention"- detention ordered by the occupying military authorities, without judicial proceedings. Such detentions can be extended indefinitely by the military authorities without judicial proceedings. According to Israeli human rights group B'Tselem, over the years Israel has administratively detained thousands of Palestinians for prolonged periods of time without prosecuting them. It has done so without informing them of the charges against them, and without allowing them or their attorneys to study the evidence. This violates several provisions of international law.

According to this article Israel holds 217 prisoners under 18, 37 of which are less than 16 years old.

Why does Canada rally to support a single soldier when thousands sit in Israeli prisons with no charge?

Meanwhile, Palestine is systematically dismantled. Work is near impossible to find, the standard of living slides further and further as hospitals and schools are destroyed, people are cut off from water sources, medical supplies and most other aid is blocked from entering the country. Some are so desperate for work they collect stones to sell for reconstruction efforts, and are shot for doing so.

mondoweiss.net...

It is well known that the US is close to being an Israeli puppet state, recently Canada is getting closer and closer to fully emulating the US.

It seems Israel has been very successful in installing their people in powerful positions in both the US and Canada.

How Israel's Propaganda Machine Works:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

And by allowing any jew to immigrate and become an Israeli citizen, there are effectively hundreds of Israeli/US duel citizens in the US government.

It just happens that Israeli citizenship law does not require renunciation of one's old citizenship in order to become a citizen of Israel. In this regard, Israel is really treated no differently than Canada, the UK, France, or other countries which permit people to become citizens without giving up their old status. As best I have been able to determine, the US does not have any sort of treaty facilitating dual citizenship with any other country. Dual citizenship arises, not out of explicit bilateral agreements between nations, but because each country makes its own laws respecting who is or is not its citizen, often without regard for whether a given person is considered a citizen by more than one country at once. It is interesting to note that Israel's "Law of Return" (under which any Jew may immigrate to and become a citizen of Israel) confers Israeli citizenship automatically, without the immigrant having to apply for it, attend any ceremony, or swear any oath of allegiance. The Israeli law may originally have been written this way to encourage American Jews to move to Israel; they could, in theory, argue that they had not explicitly requested Israeli citizenship and were thus still entitled to keep their US citizenship. (Note that Mr. Afroyim, subject of Afroyim v. Rusk, was alleged to have lost his US citizenship, not because he had become an Israeli citizen, but because he had voted in an Israeli election.) During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the US ratified a series of citizenship treaties (the "Bancroft treaties", named after American diplomat George Bancroft). The intent of these treaties was to prevent dual citizenship by providing for automatic loss of citizenship by foreigners who obtained US citizenship, or by Americans who obtained foreign citizenship. As a result of the various Supreme Court decisions on dual citizenship, however, the Bancroft treaties became legally unenforceable, and all of them have by now been formally abrogated by the US. One of these treaties (the one with Sweden) is mentioned in the Supreme Court's decision in Perkins v. Elg.

I wanted to post some information about Zionists in the US government, but most sources I find are very close to being racist. This isn't a race or religion issue, it's a total-control issue, regardless of the party trying to perpetrate it.

I'm hoping this thread will result in a civil discussion. It's fairly obvious that Israel is a major player, with hidden hands in many governments and absolute support from them. I'm hoping to see arguments from both sides, with sources and justification (not religious justification) for acts perpetrated by either side. From all I read and watch and hear, Israel is committed to a sort of "slow genocide" of the Palestinian people, and the world fully supports it. I'd like to address this apparent double-standard, and am curious if people can provide political justification for these acts. IE, please don't use religious ideology or religious texts written by the very same people who stand to profit from them.

This is my first post, if it needs to be moved or any guidelines have been ignored please let me know. Thanks for your CIVILIZED contributions.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think one of the first things that needs to be done is that people who hold dual passports must be prohibited from working in sensitive and governmental jobs. We have far too many Jewish passport holders in the UK government.

Israel is a highly emotive country that rides disdainfully over international law. It has also been caught mounting spy operations on its allies, which makes it for me an untrustworthy country. I suspect Gilad has adapted to Palestinian ways and may not choose to return to Israel as he has experienced Palestinnian life. I would wonder if he will ever be the same if he returned.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

From all I read and watch and hear, Israel is committed to a sort of "slow genocide" of the Palestinian people, and the world fully supports it.

You perhaps meant to say the" governments of the world" instead?
I think the people of the world know better. That is why there are flotillas heading to Gaza

Unfortunately I agree with your post. Whereas we were known to be fair and neutral a couple of years ago, now we only hear one side of things, take one side while ignoring the plight of the other, as though we cannot think for ourselves.

It's obvious to me too how the political parties are stacking up. The MSM programs and staff have been stacked to reply to one agenda. This is not the country my ancestors struggled so hard to build. Where is the balance?

Don't misunderstand me though. I do wish the people of Israel all the best. I simply abhor some of their leaders' decisions and policies in the same way I abhor the way the junta rules in Burma. And no, that absolutely does not make me anti-semitic.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

Oh O.K, lets see now.

Hamas want Israel to release hundreds of convicted terrorists who planed and killed hundreds and wounding thousands of Israeli civilians in a cowardly attacks, in return for one Israeli soldier who was kidnapped while stationed outside Gaza strip.

Let's compare some more shall we?

The convicted terrorists - enjoy the company of other prisoners, TV, newspapers, cell phones, letters, regular visitations by their families, study and get university diplomas, get regular visitations by the red cross, see the sunlight.

The Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit- None of the above. No one even knows if he is still alive.

See the hypocrisy in your “unbalanced” statement?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

No, I do not see the hypocrisy in my statement. Did you miss the part where the vast majority of them are being held without charge? It's the same in Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo.

I'm not advocating setting known terrorists free. I'm advocating a standard rule of law that most countries abide by, AKA Habeas Corpus. I'm advocating not shooting at people collecting rocks to feed their families. I'm advocating a general respect for your fellow man and a turning away from religious ideologies that somehow justify to a people the genocide of another people. Most importantly, I'm advocating an objective and non-biased look at what's going on in the Middle East and the US and Canada's role in the region.

In my opinion, religion is now and always has been used by religious leaders to gain political power and move masses of people toward their agendas.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
I think one of the first things that needs to be done is that people who hold dual passports must be prohibited from working in sensitive and governmental jobs. We have far too many Jewish passport holders in the UK government.

Israel is a highly emotive country that rides disdainfully over international law. It has also been caught mounting spy operations on its allies, which makes it for me an untrustworthy country. I suspect Gilad has adapted to Palestinian ways and may not choose to return to Israel as he has experienced Palestinnian life. I would wonder if he will ever be the same if he returned.

I'm not making any snide remarks, just read the text.

You should have phrased it "Israeli passport holders"

new topics

top topics

join