It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Say Mega Cali Quake Imminent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
www.weather.com...

Like a steaming kettle with the top on, pressure is building beneath the surface of California that could unleash a monster earthquake at any time. That's according to a new study from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. Geologists say Southern California is long overdue for a huge earthquake that could unleash widespread damage.

So what do you guys think? I had a crazy earthquake dream the other day along with a few other people that was discussed on another thread. Weren't some other people predicting an earthquake around this time? Something about being aligned with comet Elenin I think, can't remember

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Here's another article that states a 7.6 magnitude or higher could trigger tsunamis

www.spacedaily.com...

"A magnitude 7.6 earthquake could cause seafloor uplift of six feet or more," Borrero said. "That, in turn, would disturb the sea surface by the same amount, resulting in a tsunami. The shallow San Pedro shelf offshore of Long Beach focuses the waves and amplifies them by one-and-a -half times, so the original six-foot wave would build to nine feet inside the harbor."

Be careful Cali!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This was posted earlier.... Breaking: Scientist Say Cali quake Imminent...

Good info, but the guy's been taking a beating from fellow members claiming fear mongering. Looks like you have some additional info/insight, take it over there and help a brother out.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Cool, yea I just saw it got posted. Grr. Oh well

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
well to be honest.
It has been overdue,bit like katla..so maybe this held back earthquake might kick off katla at the same time??
personally its the next in line from the ring of fire sooo..
hmm..

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I live in central cali. It has been a very long time since there was a major quake. I'm sure we will get a huge one ne day. It's gonna be nutz.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
quakeprediction.com predicting - EARTHQUAKE RISK;
6.0 to 7.0 - Parkfield, Avenal, Coalinga, Frazier Park, NW Los Angeles, Palmdale, Santa Maria.

for today, 6/27/2011 ... however he has made many wrong predictions in the past.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
isnt cali like suppose to shake and turn into little islands

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Winged-Sphinx

so maybe this held back earthquake might kick off katla at the same time??

Don't actually see the connection between California and Katla myself but.....

I suppose a wave of seismic energy could travel from California up the San Andreas to the North triggering Cascadia and a 9.0 in Washington and on to the far end of the Aleutians where it could do a quick right turn and travel along the plate boundary heading down to Iceland. Passing the Tjornes fracture zone and setting off a couple of undersea mounts it would then travel down past Askja and Grimsvotn before finally reaching Katla and Hekla at the same time setting both off.

On second thoughts maybe not.

top topics

join