It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time.. It's the going thing that gives you a choice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I just got home, I have things to do, I don't have a lot of time to spend on this.......... We can imagine 2-D worlds 3-D worlds-maybe even 4-D .. But without time.. where are you?. Time is the only dimension that gives us free will. Without it we don't have it. linear as it is, it makes us make think. If you could live 900 years, your decisions would be not on a 70 year life span, if you knew tomorrow then you would never make the wrong choice. My point is that without the time factor we are not we. Really think about it. Life span..... Is knowing the future a choice or on option? Can anyone show an example of free will without time being a factor?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOops

Good insight! I never thought about it that way, but you're right. Time equals consequences. If there were no such thing as time, there would be no consequences.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOops

Right. Time = choice.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOops
I just got home, I have things to do, I don't have a lot of time to spend on this.......... We can imagine 2-D worlds 3-D worlds-maybe even 4-D .. But without time.. where are you?. Time is the only dimension that gives us free will. Without it we don't have it. linear as it is, it makes us make think. If you could live 900 years, your decisions would be not on a 70 year life span, if you knew tomorrow then you would never make the wrong choice. My point is that without the time factor we are not we. Really think about it. Life span..... Is knowing the future a choice or on option? Can anyone show an example of free will without time being a factor?

Time....Space....and Energy.... The Holy Trinity of the Universe. Energy is everything, and Time and Space are the separators. Time stops everything happening all at once and space stops it happening all in the same place.

Whether free will (aka choice ) even exists is something my brain has a hard time trying to understand. My heart wants to say yes but my mind says no.

As with the concept of whether everything that will ever happen hasn't already happened and for whatever reason we are just observing things at one particular point is also a concept i often think about.

Free will (assuming it is real) I don't think can happen outside of time, at least not for us. For we are all material beings and therefore are unable to exist (or make choices) outside the concept of time. I think you have to start getting fairly philosophical regarding the nature of the universe, supreme beings and events that occured prior to the bigbang to even get close to the answer to that one. And unfortunately as my IQ is under 160 and its been a while since I had any acid I cannot really answer your question..

If only I hadn't killed so many brain cells in my late teens. I didn't think I'd need them at the time though.......
edit on 27/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
That is if you asume time exists.

free choice: will I eat the apple or the orange?
There is nothing about time that takes away the choice between the two.

Even if you consider time as non existent
(all you have is 'now', moment after moment, but only the current moment exists,
the past is nothing but an image or memory in our brain, a merging of all your experiences...
and the future is nothing but an idea in your head )

even then... I would still have the choice between the apple and the orange.

great topic though, s and f

new topics

top topics

join