It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman's leg broken, others hurt in flash mob attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Woman's leg broken, others hurt in Spring Garden mob attack

A WOMAN'S leg was broken and several other people were injured Saturday night when a large group of teens accosted pedestrians in Spring Garden, police and witnesses said.

Philadelphia police responded to two reports of pedestrians being assaulted by a large group of young people along Broad Street about 9:30 p.m.

One of those reports came from Emily Guendelsberger, 27, city editor for local arts and entertainment content for the Onion, the satirical newspaper and website. She was walking with seven friends on Green Street near Broad when they were accosted, she said. Guendelsberger, who remained hospitalized with a broken leg yesterday, declined to comment further.

A friend who was with her at the time, Daily News staff writer Molly Eichel, said that they were walking down Green Street when a group of teens was walking down Broad. "We heard kids yell, 'Run, run,' " Eichel said. "Some kid just came out of nowhere and punched my friend Charlie in the face."

Eichel said that when her group tried to run, about 20 teens chased them down the street. "They were kicking kids down and punching them when they were down," she said.

Two other friends sought treatment at area hospitals for facial injuries, Eichel said.

Twitter users said that the mob ranged from 50 to 100 people and that participants not only assaulted people but also threw trash cans and lit fireworks.

Concealed and carry... that might have protected them...

Seriously what the hell is wrong with these people?

Black Unemployment Jumps To Depression Levels

CBS News reports that the unemployment rate among African-Americans in the United States is now at 16.2 percent, according to the most recent data compiled by the US Department of Labor. The unemployment rate for black males is 17.5 percent; for black teenagers, it's an astonishing 41 percent.

34 percent of New York's young black men age 19 to 24 are not working."

This? I'm not saying everyone in the flash mob were blacks, but most of them were young... young people unemployment is very high, in all races.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Oh so now every 25 minutes there is a "flash mob" either robbing or attacking somebody??

Tomorrow and the next day there will be 7 lynch mobs before lunch time.

This world NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Proof... I'm AMAZED..

I swear if any of these were my kids, me and my wife would "flash mob" all over their ass...
(but my kids are babies, so that wouldn't happen. lol)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
sounds like fun

Sounds to me like a great way to get shot. I agree with the OP, this sort of stuff is ridiculous and concealed carry is a great answer. Shoot, I wouldn't/won't put up with this sort of stuff if/when it happens whereby live.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

How does that link tie in with the Assault..? I didn't see any mention of the mobs demographics...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
sounds like fun

what sounds like fun? being part of a flash mob beating people up? or being beaten up by a flash mob? either way your comment is ridiculous.. although if it were a weak attempt at humour.. my only advise is.. i wouldnt give up your day job mate...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

How does that link tie in with the Assault..? I didn't see any mention of the mobs demographics...

As I said, it's not only about blacks, but TEENAGERS. Unemployment in teens is very high... maybe I should have just posted a link with a story about TEENAGE UNEMPLOYMENT instead of black unemployment...

My OP does indeed looks like I imply that most flash mobers were blacks... which we don't know. But previous ones in the last few days were mostly blacks... so it's not a big leap.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

I think the correlation was pretty obvious. And may be an accurate conclusion.

Flash Mobs are predominately youths who ordinarily would not commit such acts. And that the main racial make up of most Flash Mob is predominately black of lower to middle middle class.

In other word Flash Mobs tend to be made up of a traditionally working youth that are mostly jobless. Racial divides happen quite naturally but some mobs are more diverse.

The biggest problem is that Flash Mobs have been and are occurring all over. Just that the media is under reporting these acts for some reason. This with the ineffectiveness of local police, has only served to embolden the participants. Since it isn't forefront in the public mind to be aware of such groups as a problem to alert the police over. They get away with it. Since they are getting away with it there will be a natural progression to more and more violent crime.

So yes, race isn't the issue. But if the unemployment were not as high, there would be less opportunity for these Flash Mobs to occur. Because they would be busy working and spending that money on consumer goods like typical youth of the past.

What happens if it goes on too long is a situation described in A Clockwork Orange of roving gangs of youths doing things for kicks.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

So, Alex and his 3 droogs are out for some of the old ultra-violence?

It's not on MSM because it's not PC to write stories about blacks committing violence. If these are mobs of black youths we need to get that out in the open and figure out why they are doing it. Problems can't be solved by sweeping them under the rug. One or more of them are going to wind up shot by someone like me that carries every day, and then all hell will break loose. Something's got to give.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I missed the part about them being black. Would you please point it out to me?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Well so far, all the other flash mobs were made by mainly black folks. So this have big chances of being blacks again.

But really, who cares what color they are. They are trash, whoever they are or what color they are or what political belief they are or whatever religion they are.

Teen unemployment as a whole :
Summer job bummer: Teen unemployment 24 percent

So...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Well so far, all the other flash mobs were made by mainly black folks. So this have big chances of being blacks again.

But really, who cares what color they are. They are trash, whoever they are or what color they are or what political belief they are or whatever religion they are.

I AM SERIOUSLY SOOOOOOOO MAD I AM LOGGING OFF AND GOING TO GET A DRINK.

I read about some white child molesters so if i use YOUR logic.......

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

I don't give a flying kite about what color people are. The flash mobers are not black or white or whatever, they are teens.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

My OP does indeed looks like I imply that most flash mobers were blacks... which we don't know. But previous ones in the last few days were mostly blacks... so it's not a big leap.

this is racist

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

this is racist

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Don't be impertinent. It's black kids doing it the most. I don't give a crap if you think I'm being racist. Facts are facts, and if you choose to hide under a rock, then that's your problem. I'd rather find a solution that doesn't include killing some kid.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

Originally posted by Vitchilo

I AM SERIOUSLY SOOOOOOOO MAD I AM LOGGING OFF AND GOING TO GET A DRINK.

Statistically most child molesters are white. Most serial killers are white. Did you have a point that adds to this thread as a solution?

/TOA

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This is another recent flash mob in Philly that robbed Sears:

Another recent flash mob in Las Vegas:

It amazes me how unfazed they are while casually walking into a convenience store and just taking whatever they want with no concern of the surveillance cameras or hiding their identity. People will most likely have to resort to using violent or at least threatening means to protect their property....much like the Koreans did during the Rodney King riots.
edit on 6/27/2011 by HarmonicNights because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/27/2011 by HarmonicNights because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I don't think you are being racist.... These punks could turn out to be black, but assuming they are is racist. Never fails to amaze me how many ATSers are blatantly racist. ATS needs a new slogan.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Unemployment has nothing to do with this... I don't care what anyone says so no need to waste this thread attempting to do so. Those "teens" did not look malnourished or hungry or in need of clothes. It has to do with decency and upbringing... not unemployment.

Trust me, from personal experience, most unemployed and homeless are not looting stores with big grins on their faces or attacking innocent pedestrians while high-fiving each other. There is no correlation and that is insulting to attempt to excuse the actions of scum of society.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join