It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The special US-Saudi relations are history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The special US-Saudi relations are history

www.israpundit.com

King Abdullah embarked on the phased separation of the kingdom’s foreign and security policies from the US, starting with his acrimonious telephone conversation with Obama which took place on Feb. 9 when he was recuperating from back surgery in Morocco.

Since then, the Saudi king has made no bones about letting the US president know that, for him, the oil-for-security formula which governed relations between the world’s leading superpower and its biggest oil superpower for 60 years is history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Although Debka is notorious for being a questionable source, it's definitely interesting news (if true) and would not come as a surprise. Slowly, countries that have been having close ties with the US are starting to realize that US supremacy might disappear faster than many expect, they are starting to seek alternatives.

The US-Saudi pact (engineered by the evil Kissinger) has benefited both countries greatly. The Saudi House and their oil infrastructure have been protected against coupes and military threats like Saddam Hussein for decades by the strongest military in the world while a steady flow of petrodollars was generated, the US basically got oil for free through it's Saudi supported dollar hegemony. Not that the American people profited much, but oil companies and individual families certainly did.

The US has used Saudi Arabia as much as the other way around. I'm just curious what leverage Saudi Arabia has to be able to say goodbye to the US. One would think that the US has enough leverage itself to heavily pressure the Sauds, but perhaps the Saud's know something that the US doesn't want the world to know (911?). The fact that Clinton silently supports the Saudi regime in its ban on driving for women, tells me how much power the Sauds really have.

If the Saudi's would not have certain very damaging leverage, you would bet that the US would threaten them to bring some democracy in their country.

www.israpundit.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-6-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You cant pull the wool over my eyes.Cashmere maybe,but wool--never! Thurston Howell the third

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I smell regime change.

Isn't this how it usually starts?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Next invasion SAUDI!! Wooowoooo

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
While I take articles like this with a pinch of salt... it really does seem like ALL the special relationships that America had are coming to an end... I have to wonder what happens now.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's about time. We should have made this the 51st state a long time ago.

They would still be running around on camels if they oil company's didn't discover oil there and tell them about it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Pardon me if this seems an out-of-place or silly question, but is that source ("Israpundit") journalistic or is it OpEd?

I ask because it's the first site I've seen with specific sub-sites for Zionists and Christian Zionists. Seems like I would be concerned that the authors may be prone to unbalanced reporting.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
I smell regime change.

Isn't this how it usually starts?

But at least if we did invade Saudi Arabia, it would hopefully be a change for the better..........any informed person knows just how evil their leaders truly are; even the disgusting mullahs who run Iran haven't gotten the gall to ban women from driving...........not yet, anyway.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
No offense OP but...

An Israeli source making claims that there is now a wedge between the US [Israels Biggest Supporter] and a [ARAB country] Saudi Arabia, seems to me like a lot of speculation supported by marginal information. Not saying there isn't a possible kernel of truth to it but still...

I'll consider the source and take with it my usual grain of salt...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Huh.

Well. I have to say I am skeptical on this one. The Saudis have nothing to gain from alienating the US, which is still an enormous energy market (second-biggest fuel user in the world after China now I think, this following decades as No.1). Change brings tubulence, and the Saudi royals (arguably the most change-resisitant regme on earth, or at least a contender along with Cuba and North Korea...) are worried about soothing turbulence, not whipping it up. Any turbulence is likely to be detremental to the royals in the end.

Also, the article says "begin a phased seperation." This means things happening slowly over time. This is believable. It's not like suddenly they are going to do a 180 and turn their backs on the US on a dime. The way the article presents the infomation is excessively dramatic. A phased backing away from the US and courting of rising powers like China, India, etc. is only natural. And it's certainly possible that Obama rubs the Saudis the wrong way. If so, they certainly wouldn't be the only ones...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Hi.
I found this which at the end of the article sources this.

My want to post these links is premature, as I have yet to fully read them before I can contribute further.

Meh, I don't see any sourced material on that blog;

(Since the beginning of the year, DEBKA-Net-Weekly has exclusively followed the widening rift between Saudi Arabia and the United States. Word has now come virtually from the horse’s mouth.)

I'll keep my eyes open, maybe re-read 'em too.

edit on (6/27/1111 by loveguy because:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
i just rekon that this pathetic attemp to stop gaddafi is allowing these other leaders to grow in confidence when addressing us....cheeky ---

its seems too many leaders are trying to start their own NWO, pulling their ace cards to kick start a new economy, its pretty simple, we need to add more to our export portfolio then just security and weapons....we are the foundation of democracy,,,that is our ace card...use it.

peace....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Exactly. How long before we start hearing mooing in the press about how the Saudi's caused 9-11, (which technically they did, most of them were Saudi, as was Osama) and how horribly they treat women and how they are killing their own people and how we need to get in and liberate those poor people from their dictator and bring them democracy?

The King can bleat all he wants, all the regime change currently going on in the region was to make the western oil companies and assorted financial interests less dependent on the entrenched leaders in the region who were taking to big a cut of the profits.

Send in "democracy" and the various western financial interests can rape the resources and the people without the huge expense of an entrenched leader siphoning off large sums. "Elected" officials are in a much more precarious position, and they simply cant demand as big a cut of the action, or the interests who own the media will simply get someone more compliant elected in their stead.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Gonna go with
-too good to be true-

Special relations my arse....pfft....supressive relations on both sides.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If George Bush Senior is still alive, the special relationship is as solid as ever. When he goes? well i'm stumped at who will take the reigns after that.

41 is the man who has no peer.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

not if the russians and chinese offered the saudis a better deal

what with the value of the dollar dropping

perhaps the ink is still drying on them

both saddam and qadaffi tried to dump the dollar and insisted on other coinages so i don't see the saudis making the same mistake

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
As you said DEBKA is notorious for being unreliable and propaganda based.

Forbes identifies the best part of the website as being its archives, but decries the fact that "most of the information is attributed to unidentified sources."

en.wikipedia.org...

Wired.com's Noah Shachtman wrote in 2001 that the site "clearly reports with a point of view; the site is unabashedly in the hawkish camp of Israeli politics," adding that Debka had partnered with the right-wing news site WorldNetDaily for a weekly subscription product.[3] Yediot Achronot investigative reporter Ronen Bergman states that the site relies on information from sources with an agenda, such as neo-conservative elements of the US Republican Party, "whose worldview is that the situation is bad and is only going to get worse," and that Israeli intelligence officials do not consider even 10 percent of the site's content to be reliable.[1] Cornell Law professor Michael C. Dorf calls Debka his "favorite alarmist Israeli website trading in rumors."[4] en.wikipedia.org...

Honestly, as I have seen no posturing from the Saudi Kingdom, suggesting they wish to reduce American influence and pressence, I have to say this seems bogud to me. The fact is that the strength of the Saudi state is attributed to U.S presence and distancing themselves would weaken state control and provide the #te population in the oil rich provinces, to cause some major civil unrest. We have seen this occuring recently, although nowhere to the extent of other allied Arab nations such as Bahrain. What DEBKA may be picking up on, is that the Saudi kingdom may be cosmetically or superficially in appearance distancing itself from the U.S. in order to appease to the #te population, or the anti-Western ideals of Saudi Arabia. They have most likely blown it way out of proportion and context, as DEBKA ussually does.
edit on 28-6-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

top topics

join