It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Dakota Durum Wheat and George Soros

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I recently saw a post over at www.hourofthetime.com/wordpresstest/?p=5748 and didn't see any of this information posted here. I'm not the greatest writer of threads, but I felt I should spread the message. I would recommend you read the info posted there, as I don't want to plagiarize the whole bit.

First off this grabbed my eye:

Pasta Price May Jump as North Dakota Durum Floods Boost Campbell’s Costs

www.bloomberg.com...

Then George Soros and some hedge fund called Ospraie get brought up and how Soros is buying up farmland and agricultural industry through them. I know Soros is pretty much BoondockSaints territory, so maybe he can offer up some knowledgable gems.

But it appears that Soros swooped in and saved the day because this
Ospraie is the “co-investor” with Soros that bought the remnants of
ConAgra’s trading operation and renamed it . . . Gavilon. In the
industry, it is widely acknowledged that Ospraie IS Soros. That three-
page article citation is here, copy and paste the URL into your
address bar:

money.cnn.com...

As you probably remember, Gavilon just recently bought both DeBruce
Grain out of Kansas City and the biggest grain elevator company in the
Pacific Northwest, thus making Soros (who is the money behind Gavilon
through both his own Soros Fund Management AND his de facto control of
Ospraie) the third-largest grain company in the U.S. with 280 million
bushels of storage capacity, behind only Archer Daniels Midland (542
million bushels storage capacity) and Cargill (344 million bushels
storage capacity). That citation is here:

www.world-grain.com...

edit on 27-6-2011 by BlesUTP because: grammar

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Certain crops are going to be scarce this year, I would expect prices to be way up.

From the Bloomberg article:

Statistics Canada said yesterday that durum planting may total 4.375 million acres this year, less than the 5.05 million projected in April. Seeding still is expected to be up from 3.15 million in 2010, when excessive rains also curbed output, the government agency said.

“Canada, they’re the ones that are going to have to make up the shortfall in the U.S.,” said Charles Soule, a market analyst with Country Hedging Inc. in St. Paul, Minnesota. “No doubt, it’s going to be a tight situation.”

I doubt Canada will be making up for the shortfall, we have major flooding too. There was even a guy down in south Saskatchewan that seeded his whole field this year by plane. Too wet for tractors. It's rained since then, so no idea of how things worked out. Manitoba, another flooding nightmare. Not much was able to be planted.

It's even affecting gas and oil work from Saskatchewan, there are towns underwater.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yeah, things are getting bad all around unfortunately.
edit on 28-6-2011 by BlesUTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Here's an article from last year detailing some of the big wigs arable land grabs around the world. It seems that they're going for fresh water resources as well.

money.cnn.com...

Whoever feeds you, owns you. It isn't unheard of for people in positions of power to foment strife in order to make a quick buck, and I wouldn't doubt that is exactly what is happening in Missouri, and will happen in North Dakota as well. Flood the land intentionally, not reimburse farmers for their losses, but offer to buy their land at a discount.

Scum.

top topics

join