It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

OPs with Double Posts

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This thread was closed but had a really good point.

I am constantly seeing people starting a thread, with double posts.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me like they're begging for double stars.

But then maybe they're missing something because if they do get 2 stars and only 1 flag doesn't that skew their karma and/or points somehow?

Correct me if I'm wrong

But it seems to be getting out of hand
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thats all 5 threads on the Breaking News on myATS

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the 2nd post actually be included in the OP
When you attempt to create a new "Breaking News" thread it clearly says....

Article Headline
Link to Source
Story Snippet
YOUR COMMENTS (max 2500 characters of your own material)
edit on 27-6-2011 by Forevever because: their, they're, there




posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
if you start a thread in the breaking news section it automatically does two posts (or maybe it's the breaking political news section, not sure as I don't do it very often, but one of those makes two posts automatically, in fact you can't alter this).



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
if you start a thread in the breaking news section it automatically does two posts (or maybe it's the breaking political news section, not sure as I don't do it very often, but one of those makes two posts automatically, in fact you can't alter this).


AHHHH I see - well thank you so much for correcting me


I still wonder how that affects people's karma/points - 2 stars 1 flag



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 


That is the format for Breaking News.
First post is the actual news.
Second post is for the member's required opinion/personal take on what it is they are sharing



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 


That's how BAN works; you have to post a snippet of the news story in the first post (usually too short, cutting off all the important stuff) and then post your opinion or comments in the 2nd post. You also have to copy the exact title of the original article.

I hate the way BAN is formatted and for that reason, have never posted a thread in that forum.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by Forevever
 


That is the format for Breaking News.
First post is the actual news.
Second post is for the member's required opinion/personal take on what it is they are sharing


I appreciate it - since I never break any news, I was unawares ♥
I'll go feel silly now ;D



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by filosophia
if you start a thread in the breaking news section it automatically does two posts (or maybe it's the breaking political news section, not sure as I don't do it very often, but one of those makes two posts automatically, in fact you can't alter this).


AHHHH I see - well thank you so much for correcting me


I still wonder how that affects people's karma/points - 2 stars 1 flag


Here's some more advice: if you want stars don't create threads in the business section as stars are not allowed for some reason. (But I did give you a flag).
edit on 27-6-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 


Folkways and mores.


You're new. Why not figure out the way we do things, before jumping to criticize habits you might be unfamiliar with?

I think you should remove those links. It's insulting, and those folks have not done anything out of the ordinary.

Sorry.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by Forevever
 


That is the format for Breaking News.
First post is the actual news.
Second post is for the member's required opinion/personal take on what it is they are sharing


I appreciate it - since I never break any news, I was unawares ♥
I'll go feel silly now ;D


No problem
and no need to feel silly. It was a legitimate question!
I never am quick enough to make a "Breaking News" thread



edit on June 27th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

edit on 27-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: Deleted - redendant



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Forevever
 


Folkways and mores.


You're new. Why not figure out the way we do things, before jumping to criticize habits you might be unfamiliar with?

I think you should remove those links. It's insulting, and those folks have not done anything out of the ordinary.

Sorry.


Well I'm going to leave it - it was clearly my snafu but you don't have to be insulting either.

I cannot always figure out things on my own, thats why I asked for help.

Those links are clear examples of how Breaking News is set up, at the very least now that I've been corrected AND THANK YOU PEOPLE FOR CORRECTING ME. I was uneducated.

If you like I can change the entire topic to "can we please change the way this is set up" - cause I do think its a bit unfair that someone who just happens to get to a story first is entitled to 2 stars - but then I never really seek out new stories or stars, so it doesn't matter to me really. In fact I only posted this thread, because I thought that it was a good point, and that thread was closed. Clearly I'm not the only one who didn't know - so yes, I'm totally happy leaving this thread AS IS



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 



it was clearly my snafu but you don't have to be insulting either


Oh sorry. I hadn't read your earlier post understanding it was a mistake. It's okay.

And not directed towards you at this point, but it gets tiresome at times when someone who has recently joined comes in and wants to tell everybody what's wrong with the site, and what they are doing wrong, You know? I figure admin and the mods have a good handle on things.

Again, just a comment, not directed at you.

Have a good one, peace out.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Forevever
 



it was clearly my snafu but you don't have to be insulting either


Oh sorry. I hadn't read your earlier post understanding it was a mistake. It's okay.

And not directed towards you at this point, but it gets tiresome at times when someone who has recently joined comes in and wants to tell everybody what's wrong with the site, and what they are doing wrong, You know? I figure admin and the mods have a good handle on things.

Again, just a comment, not directed at you.

Have a good one, peace out.


Peace to you too - in hindsight, I don't think you meant to be insulting - I also agree a lot of people like to complain about 'whats wrong' - and I really haven't found anything wrong with this site itself (maybe some of the people...) - I wouldn't even have noticed this double post thing if the thread I mentioned in the op didn't bring it up first (then get closed)

So although I do feel a little silly for making the assumption, perhaps leaving this thread as-is, someone else won't make the same mistake I did


Not many people can handle being "wrong" as well as I can

edit on 27-6-2011 by Forevever because: clarity



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Why do people even care about stars and flags? Do they get like rewards or something for it?

I have no idea what this Karma thing is your talking about. Guess I should read up on that.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 



Not many people can handle being "wrong" as well as I can


lol! That makes two of us Foreverer! (I've had my share of experience in that department).



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Why do people even care about stars and flags? Do they get like rewards or something for it?

I have no idea what this Karma thing is your talking about. Guess I should read up on that.


yeah I've searched around and I learned that the stars and the flags are calculated in some way to adjust your karma or something... its a little confusing and one can't seem to get a straight answer on the overall purpose

they also somehow affect your WATS, which if you get it high enough you get featured on a list of MVPosters or something

I look at my own stars on a post by post basis - not the overall number
I like to see where people agree with what I (or others) posted, but thats about it - if they didn't keep a running tally of them, I wouldn't really care



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Do they give out negative stars? I think i've made like 2 posts since i've been on here but i'm sure if I made more people would give me negatives as they wouldn't like my views. That would be interesting



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Alright everyone...
OP is new and asked a question. It has been answered. No need to give the OP a hard time.

I believe this thread is done.....



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join