It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim woman Carnita Matthews escapes jail by remaining behind her burqa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Muslim woman Carnita Matthews escapes jail by remaining behind her burqa

www.heraldsun.com.au

UPDATE 5.31pm: THE woman at the centre of the burqa row, Carnita Matthews, has a long record of driving offences and a history of not paying her fines.

Court documents have revealed that she had been fined seven times for traffic infringements before she was stopped by police in June last year for not displaying her P-plates in the incident that sparked the row that spilled over to the District Court in NSW yesterday.

Since she first received her learner licence in 1998 at the age of 33, she has twice had her provisional licence suspended for totting up too many demerit points and twice
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6/27/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

This is exactly the reason why the burqa and other cultural face coverings must be banned in public. Because law enforcement cannot prove it is that same woman behind the burqa, she has avoided paying all her fines and serving a jail term.

Completely Outrageous!

France and other nations that have banned the burqa and niqab are right on the money! It's time other westernised countries such as Australia, England and the USA grew a pair and followed suit.

[url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/judge-could-not-be-sure-who-was-behind-the-veil/story-fn7x8me2-1226078801032]www.heraldsun.com.au[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27/6/11 by InfaRedMan because: Added Image

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I am by no means somebody who has major problems with immigration except when the immigrants all bunch together into their own communities and shun the rest of us, and when they attempt to impose their own standards onto us.

Muslims should be told upon entry to Australia that they must be prepared to lift their Burqa's for identification or turn around and go home. This isn't being racist, this isn't being anti-Muslim, it's respect for the country you are asking to take you in and give you a new lifestyle and I really don't think it is too much to ask.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

There's plenty imams that even say a woman who wears niqaab ("burqa") needs to lift it in accordance with the law of the land.

Despite what people think, Islam stresses following the law of the land.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yup, this type of facial covering would also make for the perfect disguise for a bank robbery. You could basically walk around the bank and get into position without anyone being the wiser. This kind of covering would also make the perfect getaway disguise, especially while driving away from the bank you just robbed.

Unless one were to speak while wearing such a disguise, you wouldn't even know if it was a male or a female that is comitting the crime.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

Hey FJ,

From my understanding there has already been at least one burqa bank robbery.

IRM

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Yup, this type of facial covering would also make for the perfect disguise for a bank robbery. You could basically walk around the bank and get into position without anyone being the wiser. This kind of covering would also make the perfect getaway disguise, especially while driving away from the bank you just robbed.

Unless one were to speak while wearing such a disguise, you wouldn't even know if it was a male or a female that is comitting the crime.

Funny you should mention that.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by Kryties

There's plenty imams that even say a woman who wears niqaab ("burqa") needs to lift it in accordance with the law of the land.

Just to back up your statement, ...

Egypt's Grand Imam Says Burka Not Obligatory in Islam
Muslim Imams Say Burka Not Obligatory in Islam
Paris Imam Backs France's Burqa Ban
Burqa Not a Part of Islam, Say Scholars

"Burqa is not a part of Islam. It is a part of culture, the culture that the people of the subcontinent have been following since ages. Nobody can enforce a dress code in the name of Islam. It is categorically un-Islamic," renowned Islamic scholar Maulana Wahiduddin Khan told IANS.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Why are we too concerned about burqa?

Everything on earth is related to time. You got up this morning, you are going to go to bed tonight. Something is new, it will get old. Something is born, it's going to die.

I should think about me rather think about someone wearing a burqa.Is burqa more danger then armed guns?What should really be banned?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
No problem. Let her keep her burqa.

In exchange, she should be taken to the station while blood and/or DNA samples can be taken to prove her identity. Or fingerprints. There are other ways to enforce laws while still showing respect for religious preference.

Choice: disrobe or come with me. Period.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by solid007
Why are we too concerned about burqa?

Everything on earth is related to time. You got up this morning, you are going to go to bed tonight. Something is new, it will get old. Something is born, it's going to die.

I should think about me rather think about someone wearing a burqa.Is burqa more danger then armed guns?What should really be banned?

What? None of that makes any sense.

The OP should make it fairly clear why people should be concerned about burqas. They create issues when law enforcement officers need to identify someone. Respecting someone's religious freedom is very important, but it's equally important to respect the laws of a nation you emigrate to. Religious freedom should not give anyone the right to supersede laws that are in place to ensure the safety of others.

That being said, the fact that this lady is driving around in the burqa is probably the main reason she keeps getting traffic citations. How can she see properly with that thing on? It must be a huge distraction driving with a mask over your face, let alone considering the impact it would have on one's peripheral vision.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

English is not my first language sorry.You can't judge by one person?All im saying is concertrate Your life , instead of picking on someone lives that bothers you and your state.It depends , if a woman wants to wear a burqa let it be.Imagine paris hilton is hiding behind a burqa , you wont give her second look.Go n figure.

This scholar is hilarious

edit on 27-6-2011 by solid007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

if a woman wants to wear a burqa let it be

No, not when she is behind the wheel of a vehicle and is responsible for other peoples lives around her while driving. These things are very restrictive when it comes to peripheral vision and one of the main requirements when you get behind the wheel is to have unrestricted vision. These women should not be allowed on our roads as they are a danger to themselves and others while wearing these things.

If I was driving down the road wearing a big rubber Halloween mask I would be instantly pulled over and ticketed where I live by the police. No laws should be bent to suit the needs of anybody as under law everyone is supposedly equal. If they want to drive they should remove the mask.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I don't think we have the right to tell the woman she cannot wear her burqa..

But if she's stopped by the police for breaking the law, she should have to reveal her face to the police. If they did that, I don't think there would be any issue. She sounds like an incredibly ignorant and selfish person though.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

That's true.. didn't even consider the ramifications of restrictive eye-site.

Technically.. if she want's to follow strict Islamic law she shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
you don't need to ban them to solve the problem, simply make it a legal requirement to remove the face veil when stopped by police or anyone who would need to identify you inorder to do business with you etc. i am pretty certain that if i was wearing a hockey mask when stopped for speeding the police would ask me to remove it and if not then i'd be arrested or took to the station, regardless of if it is my legal right to wear the hockey mask.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Oh this is too rich to pass up

Woman's name = Carnitas
plural feminine noun
1. = small pieces of braised pork
www.spanishdict.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd--->> How can she see properly with that thing on?

She can't. In my neck of the woods wearing a burka or niqab is banned behind the wheel after several fatal accidents.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

What a dumb excuse BIG

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
how nice was it of all that mobs employers to give them the day off so they could crowd around her and bash the media.....oh hang on, THEY DONT HAVE JOBS! when will my fellow aussies wake up and take a stand about whats going on in our country.

but dont panic...our prime minister has the solution. we will send 800 refugees offshore and swap them for 4000. smart girl eh. what really is getting to me is that i will work all my life and pay taxes, get nowhere and all the taxes i have paid will not even cover the expenses for one family in detention. add in the fact that they are staying in hotels after burning down detention centres and my whole family is working for nothing.

The two problems above go hand in hand. we have problems with those that are already here and those on boats coming today. And one last thing, dont bother with the "not every foreigner is a problem". i too have said that for the last couple of years, no more. i am sorry to those that are decent but you have a lot who have now wrecked it for all of you.
edit on 27-6-2011 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join