It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In The Dock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

In The Dock

www.westyorkshire.police.uk

West Yorkshire Police - UK have set up a website which shows criminal offenders faces / mug shots to the general public.....
The Police need the consent of the Victim to be able to place the picture and this is a trial before being rolled out as a national policy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I saw this linked to a BBC news story and followed the link to the Police website........ When I first saw it I thought it was actually a good idea because of the 'Shame' of having your picture up in lights for ALL the public to see....... It is mean't to be a detterrent and prevent criminals and repeat offenders because of the Shame.......... BUT......... then I thought will this actually do more harm than good ?? will it create or even harden a group in society whom do not really care about anyone or anything........... Ii'm just interested to see what people on ATS think......?????

Regards

PDUK

www.westyorkshire.police.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Like you, when I first read this I thought it would be a good idea, but then I thought about Asbo's & how a lot of the pondlife who have them wear them like a badge of honour.

Some might even see it as a way of getting the 15 minutes of fame, to be villified ect. And like you said it will turn the apathetic public even more. I say the should bring back the stock & keep a bucket of rotten veg for people to throw at them

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
here in Oklahoma USA they started a new paper at the end of 2010. . .it's called OK jailbirds . . they do a monthly issue and depending which county you live in determines who's in the paper . . .

the people in the papers were arrested and the crimes are clearly labeled. however, the offenders were only arrested, not charged yet!!

so much for innocent until proven guilty!!!! this paper gives people a bad image. . . theres no reason anyone should be put out on display like that unless they have been convicted!!!

as for the UK doing something similar, have the offenders been convicted or only arrested??

this is insane. . . .
edit on 27-6-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Hmm Although this may be useful for keeping the "riff raff" out of pubs or other businesses-You could be right that it may create a more hardened class of criminals.
Imagine how tough it would be to get a job if your would be employers saw your face on that website.
You could end up being forced back into crime just to survive.
Also people may go vigilante on you if you are on the website.

I am not sure the government have fully thought this through-but then do they ever think anything through properly?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
double sorry
edit on 27/6/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: see post

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Some argue that this is an infringement of people's (criminals rights?) I don't buy that 'take' on it but I am Torn on both sides of this.....!

As a victim of a crime I would want some form of punishment or retribution to the criminal but then, do they care ?? and does it make a difference ??

original link to news story..

www.bbc.co.uk...

PDUK
edit on 27-6-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Seems almost a moot point because so many get their "news" about other people from Facebook so they will figure it out anyway somehow.

new topics

top topics

join