It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Chinese Microchips Were Made To Disarm U.S. Missiles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Fake Chinese Microchips Were Made To Disarm U.S. Missiles

www.wired.com

In 2010, the U.S. military had a problem. It had bought over 59,000 microchips destined for installation in everything from missile defense systems to gadgets that tell friend from foe. The chips turned out to be counterfeits from China, but it could have been even worse. Instead of crappy Chinese fakes being put into Navy weapons systems, the chips could have been hacked, able to shut off a missile in the event of war or lie around just waiting to malfunction.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Anyone here watch the remake of Battlestar Gallactica? I am reminded of the scene from the pilot episode where a squadron of colonial vipers were set to engage a squadron of vipers and just before the engagement was to begin all the colonial’s ships powered down and they were cut to pieces. Something tells me the People’s Liberation Army was watching that too, and got some ideas.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

My buds and I have discussed this scenario concerning all the systems we sell to supposedly friendly countries. We wondered if there was a kill switch, just in case.

Kind of freaky to have it done to us though. If we found 59,000, it makes me wonder how many got through. Some techs are going to have looooong days ahead of them.

This is what happens when we shipped so many manufacturing jobs overseas as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.dailytech.com...

Here is some more information on this subject. This is a multibillion dollar dollar industry for the chinese manufacturers. The counterfeit parts are a wide range of products, not just chips. The most disturbing part is the chinese government refusing to do any kind of audit of this situation, likely in cahoots with the private manufacturers.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Perhaps it wouldn't be asking too much if we retained just a little technical manufacturing capability in our own nation. It's not much, just enough to build and supply our own advanced weapons systems. If we are to have a military larger and better funded than the next 3 world powers combined, at least we ought to insure everything works..OR it's failure is just a question of poor American workmanship we've grown used to, not deliberate enemy sabotage.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
wow sounds like something out of a movie!
I always thought that the goods china sold us might have some sort of small device. That when told to will put out a small emp but with all the goods combined could wipe out all electronics in a big area. Foolish i know, or is it?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
there are microchip factories in USA... just its more expensive... there do you think the middleman will earn his money?
edit on 27/6/11 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all. Everything made in China is either poisonous, pure garbage, made from inferior materials or it's intentionally designed to fail prematurely. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they would attempt to corrupt our weapons systems in this fashion. Although I have little faith that their chips would have actually performed as well as their designers had hoped, because nothing made in China ever does. IMO, our government should buy absolutely nothing manufactured in China, not even rat poison, mush less military hardware.

By the way, I don't place all the blame on the Chinese workers, they're just following orders. IMO, the quality of the products coming from China is nothing more than a clear example of the kind of garbage that multi-national corporations will produce if allowed to operate in unregulated environments. Thanks to all the "Free Trade" agreements and China's being awarded with "Permanent Most Favored Trading Status," (awarded by Clinton & a republican controlled congress) we now are forced to sift through this chinese made garbage every time we make a purchase.

Just goes to prove that a global economy doesn't work without global regulations, except for those raking in all the profits. Go figure.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
How can you guarantee security when your equipment comes from the global market? Countries lie and are in competition with each other. If you keep it in house at least you should be assured of the integrity of your components.

What bothers me are the ethics both government and business clearly lack today. Businesses and the Government must have known the repercussions of not replacing the jobs that went abroad. If you don't watch your employment figures or offer incentives to new businesses then the out of work population will eventually outstrip your tax payers. Also if you only seek an ecomony based on a huge ratio of low-paid dead end jobs and just a few higher paid jobs, you still won't collect the taxes you need.

In the UK today the news is yet again dire. Retailing is dropping no end of jobs with names like Habitat going to the wall. Some might say yet again we are replacing quality with tac from the cheepy imported tac emporiums.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think this is great...

The Pentagon has refused to release some of their more advanced technology during the past 30 or 40 years to American industry [Which would have helped US companies stay technologically competitive with the rest of the world] under the guise of "National Security" Meanwhile, US industry has gone down the tubes. GOOD! I'm glad this happened! now maybe they'll think twice and realize that the Failing economy and huge budget deficits due to lack of REAL US production and industry which is compounded with their outsourcing to the cheapest foreign bidder is a REAL THREAT to National Security! Instead, they should be helping US companies stay viable and competitive in a global marketplace which creates jobs and tax revenue etc etc etc

Also, This reminded me of a story back in the 80s on TV on either 60 minutes or 20/20 [I could be wrong it's been so many years] where they ran a news story about how they had to rip out a whole bunch of early microchips from some missiles because the ship date for the "required chips" were way overdue so the manufacturer purchased and installed a bunch of lower grade early chips from of all places Radio-shack [which didn't meet the requirements] instead so they could meet the deadline.

edit on 27-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
why the hell are we buying parts for our military from OTHER countries?????

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Well...sometimes its not by choice or will but by the laws and practices of economics and trade.

We sell/export a lot of equipment(military and non-military). Likewise other countries expect us to do business with them by buying some of their good and services (chips or electronic components in addition to tonnes of varieties of goods).

You'll be surprised how many vendors/subsidiaries NASA and BOEING and several major companies own or partner with worldwide.
edit on 27-6-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

This appears to be an issue of counterfits entering the procurement chain.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000 Perhaps it wouldn't be asking too much if we retained just a little technical manufacturing capability in our own nation.
You're not thinking about maximizing profits as your corporate leaders are. If there were to be an attempt to legislate American manufacturing to be local, your corporate leaders would go on the warpath. They would lobby, bribe, threaten, and murder. They would proclaim freedoms are being taken away from the American people. If all that somehow failed, they would move.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
next time someone cries about the us military industrial complex show them this article

the fact of the matter too much us defense has been outsourced and considering how much the us military depends on technology it aint made here.

bluntly its an act of treason the government because its too expensive here and we dont have the production means to build our own military and those business who sold out.

we need defense industry reformation and that means from beginning to end from manufacturing to testing every single thing this country uses and american serviceman put their lives on the line should be made here and that should not be up for discussion.

since were talking about movies and tv watch the one called deterence where the us sold other country computers to test their nukes with only to find out their nukes were worthless.

this is infuriating because its treason.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

stop blaming the corporations the fact is the defense budget always gets cuts everytime and people just cant fathom the depth of those actions lead to.

they want to save a buck which leads to the op and people getting killed.

understand that,.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by gentledissident

stop blaming the corporations
I have no problem blaming the government for all its failures. However, corporations are the government. They have the control. If they don't get what they want, they will leave. That is threat enough to get them what they want.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There needs to be a law, that anything the government buys, must be manufactured 100% in America, and purchased from 100% American owned businesses. How's that for a stimulus plan?

I'm against the MIC, but if it's going to exist, might as well pump those billions into the US economy, instead of the economy of our ENEMIES. Just seems like common sense, to me.

Having China of all places, manufacture parts for our military seems beyond stupid, bordering on treason.

EDIT:

Just realized Neo96 said everything I did, I feel dumb. I usually browse the "recent posts" part of ATS, open interesting threads in new windows, and then not read the threads until I've gone through the whole "recent posts" section, then I'll go back and reach each thread. In the mean time, other people post, and I miss it because I don't refresh the page. Oh well. Star for neo!
edit on 27-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Thanks, OP, for sharing this information. There's not much I could add--Slayer, Neo and James said everything I was thinking. Do know that I hate violence; do know that I am dead-set against all these pre-emptive, "Let's spread our goodness" (lies) conflicts. However, I do believe we have the right to defend ourselves should we be attacked. I agree that ALL military 'goods' should ONLY be manufactured here in the USA.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Another sensationalist and misleading title:

Your title says the chips were made to disarm missiles but the article says the chips COULD'VE been hacked, that is if the Chinese wanted to.

And there goes all of the paranoid posters blasting off their keyboards.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join