It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justification of the Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I watched Fareed Zakaria GPS Sunday and boy was I surpised. His contributor said this...

The issue with the Senate, of course, is that you end up giving Wyoming's... Four hundred thousand people - I just did the math. Wyoming has 400,000 people and two senators and California has 36 million people and two senators. It is hard to justify that.

Jeffrey Toobin whos is a Legal Analyst, seems to forget the House of Representatives justifies the Senate. I'll provide the link to the rest of the article, but what do you think is the size of the senate justified or not? Senate

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing
I watched Fareed Zakaria GPS Sunday and boy was I surpised. His contributor said this...

The issue with the Senate, of course, is that you end up giving Wyoming's... Four hundred thousand people - I just did the math. Wyoming has 400,000 people and two senators and California has 36 million people and two senators. It is hard to justify that.

Jeffrey Toobin whos is a Legal Analyst, seems to forget the House of Representatives justifies the Senate. I'll provide the link to the rest of the article, but what do you think is the size of the senate justified or not? Senate

Sorry, but all credibility was lost when the name "Fareed Zakaria" was listed. The guy is a Globalist elite.
His opinion is based on untruths and crap.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

The fact the he doesn't like the senate doesn't sound to globalist... Bu it does sound ignorant none the less

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah, that danged ole Constitution is just so hard to justify.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

Nice catch!
S+F
Just goes to show that these brain-dead pundits don't have an actual clue.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Sounds like someone needs to go back and read the constitution. The Senate was created to represent the individual States, not the people of those States.

The House of Representatives was created to represent the people of the United States.

This is why Wyoming has 1 Representative and California has 53.

I do not recall anyone complaining that California has 1/8 of the total number of seats in the House....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
That debate was settled in 1789. The Great Compromise and all that. It's the point of the bicameral legislature. Gives fair representation to small states and to large states(population wise). These globalist scumbags are counting on Americans' ignorance of their own history.

It's funny that since the Dept of Education started federalizing local schools, their has been a lack of emphasis on history and civics. And what little history they do teach tends to stress"atrocities" of our forefathers and de-emphasizes their great accomplishments. Take an objective view of Andrew Jackson's presidency and military career. The man was amazing. But most kids only know that he killed Indians and owned slaves.

The bicameral legislature represents the fact that The US is a union of separate states, as the name "United States of America" implies. This is simply a further attack on state sovereignty and promotion of globalism.

Jeffery Toobin and Zakaria are both openly promotional of a global system, typically referred to as "The International Community". Zakaria recently attacked the US Constitution as being provincial and outdated, suggesting it was time to scrap it. What does that tell you?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
You can't have a global society with those pesky individual states having sovereignty. Get rid of the Senators, and you weaken states' rights.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I just couldn't believe when he was sitting there and actually saying the senate is a hard thing to justify population wise, I wasn't listing Fareed Zakaria as a credible person. I only brought this up because there will be some person out there that listens to this and will think " He's right why am I represented by only 2 senators" Its scary that a legal analyst would say something of this ignorance.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BomSquad

Sounds like someone needs to go back and read the constitution. The Senate was created to represent the individual States, not the people of those States.

The House of Representatives was created to represent the people of the United States.

This is why Wyoming has 1 Representative and California has 53.

I do not recall anyone complaining that California has 1/8 of the total number of seats in the House....

The problem now is that with the Seventeenth Amendment, they no longer represent the States. That amendment severely limited States rights as they are no longer represented in Washington. The way it's set up right now, we don't even need the Senate as the HoR are the ones representing the people.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
All states should be recognized fairly, that is what the Senate does. Population is recognized by the House. It seems like a great setup to me.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

17th Amendment was created to stop the Party Boss system, where people like Boss Tweed of Tamany Hall would select whoever he wanted to become a Senator. Quick Fact this entire system is the reason why Teddy Roosevelt became president.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Last week it was throw out the constitution, this week change the senate. How about changing the 2 party news orginizations first

Then this unitary presidency, or hey, how about figuring out why we have the fed in which is the true reason this country is in the dumps

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

They still represent the States, just not in the manner that was originally intended, since they are now directly elected by the people of the respective states as opposed to the legislatures of those states.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
You can't have a global society with those pesky individual states having sovereignty. Get rid of the Senators, and you weaken states' rights.

/TOA

This, I think, is his point. The guy obviously hates the way the USA is set up, and desires a all powerful central government. He'd also love a neo-Fascist constitution to tout the Dogma of his own beliefs apparently.. and certainly if he had his way he'd merge all nations together. Or, it could be that he's just incredibly stupid. Having read plenty of his opinion before, I think it's a mix of the two.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
the idea was to give every state equal representation hence the 2 and no matter how many people lived where they would still have equal rights and equal voting powers.

fareed is a moron who should not be a pundit for things he obviously knows nothing about.

the people have the power by extension the states represent those people who reside in whatever state and none have any more power than the other.

he hates the constitution as too many people do its more of a hindrence to them than anything.

fareeds ideal form of government is obviously a caliphate.

meh

edit on 27-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
One of the great compromises during the writing of the Constitution was a solution to the debate whether legislative body should be equal or based on population..

In order to solve this stand off they decided to split the legislature into two houses.. One based on population and one with equal representation..

I think it was called "The Great Compromise"

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Well it seems the good people on ATS seem to understand early American constitutional history, but none of you are on T.V. that means I shouldn't listen to you. I bet someone somewhere has the attitude about this whole situation

top topics

join