It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Flogging Be an Alternative to Prison?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

6 lashes? 4 lashes? I see at least 20 in that pic

You should not advertise your inability to count.

That is damage from 6 lashes.

You do not see at least 20 lashes. If you maintain that you do then you either cannot count or you are being disingenuous for the pure joy of the act.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The Royal Navy use to use the cat-o-nine-tails but eventually it was considered too barbaric.

The Walking Fox's link that showed the lad's backside after only 4 lashes was a reality check. The Island suggestion was the best to me.

What bothers me slightly is, am I seeing a tad of Sharia raising its head here and that for me would never ever be acceptable. They enjoy a good flog albeit I've only seen it done with a tassled silk rope - softly. Or is it a cheap option to but the huge prison industry?

I think prison should be used considerably less (where appropriate) but with its emphasis totally on rehabilitation and training people so they can leave, supervised etc but able to walk into a job and rejoin society.

People in work building their own lives don't dance out so readily to ruin others lives.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'd prefer stockades and public whippings. Cane seems weak to me. And of course this could only be substituted for weaker crimes.. like burglary, assault, drug possession etc.

Violent crimes? Not a very good substitution. We could just kill them, and be done with prisons entirely. All the money we could save!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
For low level crimes and or first and second offenders, yes, I think corporeal punishment may work well as a deterent.

Never mind the cane, too barbaric! The idea should perhaps be more for humiliation than pain. For young offenders on their first or second offence, rather than imprison them, take them out to the public square, pull their pants down and give them the slipper/paddle on their bare rump. See how much respect they gain from their compatriots after that! Let the punishment be restorative with the victim designating the punisher! Make the transgressor pay any expenses incured by their public humiliation.

Where there is no victim, let the offender opt for corporeal punishment or not.

Public 'floggins' (and executions) used to be a day out for all the family! Reintroduction of corporeal punishment could also work as a job creation scheme! Pie sellers et al could realise another income stream!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Absolutely not. A human being (and their unique ability) is a terrible thing to waste.
The person is punished to make up a debt to society that he engendered with his or her crime.
How does flogging return any loss to the society or benefit that society in any way?
I will not feel better or be any better off if this criminal is beaten. I would rather see something constructive come out of the man (or woman).
Making them plant trees or do something that helps others would be much better way to make up that debt to society and who knows, you might teach them empathy and self respect in the process, and then you have gone a long way to curing your criminal and making them a better more worthwhile member of the society.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

In the US no, since it would violate the Constitution against cruel and unusual punishment.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The problem with the US is that they have such a large population of prisioners. Over 700 US citizens per 100,000 are in prison. Far more than other Western nations. This is a poor reflection on the US approach to tackling criminality.

Throwing in a beating is not going to solve the problem.

The US needs a new approach. I would hazard a guess that part of the solution is tackling the violent gun culture, but that would involve the word "gun". If the average US citizen is happy with their violent society, then good for them.

Regards

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
In the US no, since it would violate the Constitution against cruel and unusual punishment.

Surely the electric chair, or lethal injection could be construed as "unusual" and possibly even "cruel".

Regards

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Personally, I would much rather be beat with a cane, than go to prison.

You get beat with a cane, you have a few days of pain and discomfort.

To go to prison, that could be years of being beaten, stabbed, raped, etc. The cane seems MUCH more humane than sending someone to prison.

How is prison not considered cruel and unusual? When the judge says "3 to 5 years" he is actually saying "3 to 5 years of being beaten and raped"

I'd take a cane any day over prison. I'm sure many others would too.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
NO !

last year I told my 4 year old he would have to clean his mess or get a timeout. he smiled and said, "I'll take the timeout !"

this would lead to a massive crime wave

pass

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm a firm believer that a flogging would be much more of a deterrent to most than prison.

Of course, it would have to be a public flogging, with a cane or cat o' nine tails, and not just a few hits either.

Give people the choice of a flogging or twice the jail time they were sentenced to. I bet many would choose the flogging. Giving them the choice removes the capital punishment morality question.

It's also a cheap alternative to housing inmates in prison. A win-win for the taxpayer.

However, if we're going to bring back flogging, I would strongly suggest bringing back stocks, public hangings, "running the gauntlet" as well as many other medieval punishments. Public humiliation during the carrying out of a sentence is the only thing that will deter many people.

In prison they get a roof over their head, free health care, three square meals a day, all on the taxpayer dime. A public execution of a severe capital punishment sentence would be a much bigger deterrent for most people considering a criminal act.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
i swear when are people gonan get it people hate being embarssed more then being hurt if people commit a non violent crime put them in jump suits on the street cleaning with a sign saying what they did make them work in public pay them but not well and you will be amazed how low the crime rate gets. a few examples

1. say you get caught smoking some form of illegal drugs(take your pick) your punishment instead of jail or classes would be you would have to work eitehr in your neighborhood or town(depends on size of city whatnot) wearing a pink jumpsuit and what crime they did(in this situation drug use)and clean up trash plant flowers or what ever the city wants them to do as long is its public.(note i am for legalization but this beats jail tell then)

2.say you got a dui where no one was hurt your punishment would be to wear same jumpsuit and explanation of crimes and have to eitehr work cleaning up or be posted infront of an alchol store to warn the peoples of drinking and driving and the consequences (make it be like supersize me if some one asks him to super size it or in this case why hes there he has to tell them what he did and the consequences of it) in the condition that property was dammaged that was private in nature and not state owned the persons sentence should be to repair them selves and until what they destroyed was fixed there punishment stays in effect instead of jail or fines

3.say you stole something your punishment would be some form of a jumpsuit and explanation of crimes and you would clean up streets around buisnesses and places that are often victamized by robbertys

4 vandalizm same as above but you rebuild or fix what you broke

5.in the case of illegal growing of drugs make them do the jumpsuit thing and plant flowers or do hortcultural work or pick strawberrys

6.in the case of fraud or a buisness doing a crime there punishment would be to at there own expense put up signs adversiging there crimes to warm othere people that at one time they were in fact shady.

questions? comments? think im insane?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
The Royal Navy use to use the cat-o-nine-tails but eventually it was considered too barbaric.

The Walking Fox's link that showed the lad's backside after only 4 lashes was a reality check. The Island suggestion was the best to me.

What bothers me slightly is, am I seeing a tad of Sharia raising its head here and that for me would never ever be acceptable. They enjoy a good flog albeit I've only seen it done with a tassled silk rope - softly. Or is it a cheap option to but the huge prison industry?

I think prison should be used considerably less (where appropriate) but with its emphasis totally on rehabilitation and training people so they can leave, supervised etc but able to walk into a job and rejoin society.

People in work building their own lives don't dance out so readily to ruin others lives.

There are many societies that use capital punishment (such as Singapore) which have absoloutely no link at all to Sharia law. Just because Sharia encourages capital punishment, doesn't mean that if you practice capital punishment you are bowing to Sharia law.

Using prison LESS is not the answer. Criminals laugh at the insanity and "no balls approach" of the Western justice system. You want to give criminals rehab and training? No, I say give them hard labour and make them a productive member of society, whether or not they want it. Breaking rocks helps you contribute to society just as effectively as being coddled in a training class.
edit on 27-6-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Flogging no. But an alternatve to prison that I would endorse would be being strapped to a chair and forced to listen to Barbara Steisand records. How about the ENTIRE sound track to "Funny Girl", that'll teach them criminals! Hours upon hours of BAB'S!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Prison is costing us too much money and its criminalizing the inmates even more. While locked up they contribute nothing and make no amends.

The best solution is to have them make amends...WORK to give back to society they have taken from. Dont flog them, dont lock them away, have them make up for what they did. The only exception to this should be extremely dangerous individuals where you have no choice but to lock them away.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Babybunnies!

Flog em and hard labour what! You sure in your fluffyness you don't want the Cat brought back.

I agree some people do deserve a rougher hand. I always remember the IRA man who had been chased because of the knee cappings and assassinations he had ordered and carried out. When he was caught and wrestled to the ground he squeeled and squeeled 'don't hurt me, don't hurt me'.

What I wanted to get over was that prison needs to turn out people who are equipped to join back into society. If you only concentrate on hard labour, not many company's will pay a man simply to crack rocks. He needs a trade. A means of getting a job and paying taxes that he/she then becomes a useful member of society.

Also apart from the violent and serious crimes, how many people are in there for quite trivial crimes. The stigma society places on a jail sentence guarantees even a light offender is likely to reoffend and up their crime level simply to exist.

I think we have completely lost sight of the fact that the punishment ends once someone leaves prison - they have paid their debt to society by being in prison. They deserve a fresh chance, what they do with it is up to them but they need help to readjust and update their skills.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join