It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop killer Poplawski jurors to consider death penalty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Oh, I'm thinking he's getting put down. The court systems are so messed up! It's such a waste of court time, and money, to keep letting these types of cases go through appeal after appeal for decades. Here's the article.
Pittsburgh Post Gazette

I was wondering how they planned to find a jury who hasn't heard of this case already, or had no feelings about it.
And a Video:

edit on 27-6-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: OOPS wrong fourm, sorry!!! Please move...

edit on 27-6-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: title change

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Before sentencing a crim to death, the judge should tell the defendant to say his goodbyes as he is likely to be sentenced to death at the next hearing.
Then, when he is sentenced, the sentence should be carried out immediately, as in within minutes of the gavel striking the plate, yes minutes.
That is the cheapest way, the easiest way and the most humane way.
Wasting time, money and dragging-it-out for the criminal is simply not the way to go.

And as for you left-wing, politically-correct do-gooders who think 'noone has the right to take a life'. What a load of sh*t.
You are told FROM BIRTH that if you rape, murder, mug etc then there will be punishments. So, YOU ALREADY KNOW the consequences before you commit the crime.
Put it this way, if you were TOLD that if you put a fork in the wall socket-you'll die, would you put the fork in?
So, if you were told if you stab that woman in the head-you'll die, would you stab the woman?

Do-gooders will be the downfall of westernised society. We don't need people sympathising with murderers, drug dealers and rapists.

edit on 27-6-2011 by manontrial because: spelling

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
i think someone once said JUDGE NOT LEST YOU BE JUDGE. but after all these years it still falls on deaf ears

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

Yes, I totally agree. In a case like this, where there are multiple witness to the slaughter of 3 people, why not? Why waste all that money? The guy probably expected to die! I know I would if I decided to start lighting up police officers. Yep, give him his trial, and ship him right off to the gas chamber...Shouldn't of stuck the fork in the outlet

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If he didn't get his appeals the people on ATS would be yelling that this is further proof of a police state and how all people in the government are run by tptb and cicumventing the law.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Yes, ok you are right. But in a case as clear cut as this? I can see maybe 1 appeal...but I bet, if he does get the death penalty this will drag on for years, and years!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Having read the article, and viewed the video tape, along with the postings the following can be stated:
For starters, I would like to state that I could never sit on a jury which would hold a persons life in my hands. I would not want the responsibility, as I would not have the strength to throw the switch or even push the button to end another’s life.
However, there are a few things that must be stated, one being that justice has to be blind.
No matter how terrible the crime, no matter how disgusting the individual, there has to be justice and the laws must reflect that, no matter what. These laws that are on the books, are there to protect both the guilty and the innocent. If emotion over ride common sense, then we ourselves would have a justice system like so many of the others in the world. While the justice and penetary system is flawed, it is still better than many other places in the world. As a society, being a nation of laws, we must uphold those laws, and see them enforced, no matter what. It takes good investigative skills and the burden on the prosecution team to prove to a jury, beyond a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilt, and that the punishment fit’s the crime. All evidence needs to point that this one man did it, and did it with prior planning before such a verdict can be given, along with sentencing. And there has to be an element of mercy, as there have been too many cases where someone who was innocent of a capital crime was sent to jail and then put to death, for something they never did. In the article, the defense team did have a valid point, the jury has to be impartial, and have no opinion for their client to have a fair trial. If it is unfair, then if he is guilty, then he could very well get off, as some have before. The calls should be for a fair trial, an imparital jury, all rights upheld and the laws enforced, before the calls for blood.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Had there never been a case in the history of the American system where an innocent man had been put to death I would say sure forego the appeals and string him up. Unfortunately this is not the case as everyone knows.

Plenty of people have been released from prison after that overwhelming evidence has been found to lead to someone else.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

In this case, there is no doubt he did it. He killed 3 cops with an AK-47. One of them, that was already down, he continued to unload on. There were MANY witness. He was found guilty. In this case, if he is sentenced to death, he will appeal it, over and aver again. I'm just saying: if 20 people see you kill 3 people, not in self defense, and you are found guilty, and sentenced to death...you should get one appeal, and that's it. you're done. It just seems so stupid t me. I can understand going through the motions, but when a 20 year long incarceration and appeals process is coming out of my wallet I get upset. It's like we have to play stupid!!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
He was sentenced to death today, here is a pretty interesting article:
link

It talks about what issues were used in his defense, and how they were countered. It also share some things about his messed up life.

Call me cruel but, so many of us have tough lives and we don't murder people. I know it isn't the way it works, but here's how I feel... Yes, it terrible when children are abused and neglected, but I don't think that's any reason not to sentence an undeniable murder to death. It may not be their fault they are permanently scared, damaged, and crazy, but it isn’t our fault either, so we shouldn't have to house them for the remaining 50+ years of their life.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The appeal process is an important part of our judicial system and is designed to make sure that someone's case has been prosecuted correctly. This man may believe the circumstances were such that it did not warrant the death penalty and felt that there was an injustice done with review of all the evidence.

Of course he is guilty but he should be allowed access to the same process as everyone else. I agree that the process should not take 20 years and I think an expedited appeals process in cases like this is justified. Have an appeal one right after the other with time in between for his new lawyers to review the case. Like a week in between and then have the sentence carried out.

The problem is that the courts are filled with so many frivolous lawsuits that they are backlogged.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

the process should not take 20 years and I think an expedited appeals process in cases like this is justified. Have an appeal one right after the other with time in between for his new lawyers to review the case. Like a week in between and then have the sentence carried out.

YES! That is what I'm trying to say. I understand there are probably some innocent people appealing the death penality, so i'm not saying I'm against the appeals process. But, you're right, in clear cut cases like this, they need to hurry that stuff along, for sure!! Thanks for saying what I meant

top topics

join