It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

content control and thread promotion on ATS : 100% distraction

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

it's not about me, it's about the majority of the traffic that are lurkers : they don't do these things. unless maybe if we tell them that they cannot trust the flag system.

Odd. I never give lurkers a second thought, in fact, I forget they are there. But I'm sure they can quite readily make a decision about what they do and do not want to read.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

from what they are been fed with on homepage.
i guess you've never managed a (mass) media project either and don't realize the traffic here and the number of users we are talking about that have no time examining hundreds of threads buried under the shallow one

anyway, this thread is over, the content control theory has been proven by

* the manual removing of this thread from homepage
* the manual moving from deconstructing disinfo section to offtopic rant
* the failure to explain why the scientist thread was moved to a place where it would (and did) get more exposure
edit on 27-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by XmikaX

it's not about me, it's about the majority of the traffic that are lurkers : they don't do these things. unless maybe if we tell them that they cannot trust the flag system.

Odd. I never give lurkers a second thought, in fact, I forget they are there. But I'm sure they can quite readily make a decision about what they do and do not want to read.

The members probably make up about 10% of the people who regularly visit this site, and I bet only 5% of people are active members.

Anybody who is new to conspiracies that looks at the front page sees there's no real news, and thinks everyone here really is crazy with all the garbage threads recently.

Taking the "I'm a Scientist" thread for example. The thousands of new people read:
"Bah I'm an elite scientist, conspiracy theories are nuts, now lets just talk about science, techno babble, techno babble, techno babble blah, string theory is fact, reincarnation isn't possible, souls don't exist blah"

"Oh gee well the super intelligent science guy thinks conspiracies are nuts, so I should too!"

edit on 27-6-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackStar99

Anybody who is new to conspiracies that looks at the front page sees there's no real news, and thinks everyone here really is crazy with all the garbage threads recently.

And this thread helps that situation, how?
edit on 6/27/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

I understand recent posts is controlled. It's controlled by which one was posted on more recently. Get it?
recent posts ?

There are "stickies" and mods can move a post to the top without posting, if it's something important.
Usually Admin news or something of that nature; something they want to be sure we see. Typically, if this has been done, it will have a little arrow next to the Heading, but not always.

And yes, they can move threads around thank God. I really wish they would move things to the fantasy thread more often.

"Scientist" stayed on the front page for so long because people were posting on it at light speed. Sometimes when an Introduction thread takes off like that, they will let it ride, and move it to an appropriate forum if they see people are really enjoying it. Not that often though. Once it became clear someone was playing games, it stopped.

Have a little faith. Nobody is trying to stifle intellectual material, or promote garbage. As SO said, and I know it to be true, the posters determine what is "hot", by posting on the thread. If I sat and posted on this thread all night, which I won't because I'm already bored with it, and your absurd attempts to chase me away with insults, I could keep this on the front page all night. Well, until a Mod figured out I had apparently lost my mind, and attempted to intervene.

Anyway. That's how it works.

Peace Out.

edit on 6/27/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

the failure to explain why the scientist thread was moved to a place where it would (and did) get more exposure

Well the site stats disagree with this statement.

It got moved to Science & Technology which is 16th on the list (based on posts).

Once it was discovered the guy was full of it, it was moved to Skunk Works which is 8th on the list.

So it was placed in a more popular forum than it was before, twice as popular in fact.

It now resides in the HOAX forum, which is 35th.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by XmikaX
so why this pushing up ? good for advertising ? is that all ?

If you're not going to accept the honest answers provided to you, why ask?

[quotebeside that it doesn't require much coordination (from within) to make sure a thread end up on home page
I've already told you that doesn't happen.

oh so you consider the sockpuppets as members too ?

Which "sockpuppets?"

so maybe you should consider that the persona management software probably block any ads or external script for better efficiency and less memory usage. would that help in making you work on this problem or you still consider it is really not your problem ?

Paranoid much?

"Move to hide?" Explain what you believe is described in "countless threads."
91000 results +
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/552f8af8b159.png[/atsimg]

You're lying, or at the least, being intentionally deceptive.

That search, linked here has less than two pages of results.

ATS Terms & Conditions

24) Right of Community Management. This is a privately owned discussion board community. TAN reserves the right to take action against any member, or member Posting, which is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption, represents behavior contrary to community building, or in cases where the content is contrary to the core ideals of the Websites. This action may include removal of your Posting and/or complete banning of your username and IP address. TAN reserves the right to eliminate or edit any content deemed inappropriate for the discussion boards, news network or any affiliated sites. TAN reserves the right to establish limits on topics that may be discussed if, in their opinion, the discussion of those topics attract an audience that is counterproductive to maintaining the ideals set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

edit on 27-6-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by XmikaX
the majority of the traffic follow the flag system, the majority of the traffic read the threads they are "told to to read"

By what stroke of magic have you suddenly been able to become aware of the actual traffic patterns on ATS?

Over 65% of all our daily traffic comes from a combination of search and referring sites. Which means the majority of visitors enter abovetopsecret.com as a result of a link or search, completely bypassing the site home.

YES by the staff AND the sockpuppets & if we are aware of it most of the traffic is not and that is wrong

I've already told you, it doesn't happen.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

"Move to hide?" Explain what you believe is described in "countless threads."
91000 results +
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/552f8af8b159.png[/atsimg]

You're lying, or at the least, being intentionally deceptive.

That search, linked here has less than two pages of results.

if you limit the search to the exact sentence as you did, you have to do all the variation of the sentence;

so remove the " " and you'll verify i'm not lying

between us i'm having hard time believing you don't know how google search works

i'm not sure who is being intentionally deceptive here ?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by XXmikaXX

So you're claiming that every single one of those 91,000 pages contain the exact same question written in the google search box?

I don't see a single hit on that quote at all.

Verify for yourself

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXmikaXX
if you limit the search to the exact sentence as you did, you have to do all the variation of the sentence;
so remove the " " and you'll verify i'm not lying
between us i'm having hard time believing you don't know how google search works

I know exceptionally well the methodology for search.

When you omit the quotes, and represent that the search results indicate returns based on the entire sentence, that is either a misinformed representation, or an intentional deception.

Your search: "site:abovetopsecret.com why was this thread moved ?" will search all 2 million+ pages of ATS for occurrences of each word. So even posts with "this thread" in them will appear in the search results returned.

Using the quotation marks limits the search to the specific phrase.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Here's a conspiracy theory for you to chew on... ...What if people such as "the scientist" and "the media guy" made these threads to see what we the people question about science, media etc. in order to understand and know what it is we don't trust about our government and why. It was just a thought I had, and I think someone mentioned before that maybe these weird intros are people trying to conduct a sociological study or something, that is what rooted my idea. I'm not saying I believe that, it's just something I wanted you to think about.

Peace,
marriah

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXmikaXXX

He's back!
You'll be up to xxxxxxxxxmikaxxxxxxxxx soon.

Ahhhh full time job debunking UFO's? I wish!

Shame I've authored half a dozen PRO UFO threads

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by XXXmikaXXX

He's back!
You'll be up to xxxxxxxxxmikaxxxxxxxxx soon.

Ahhhh full time job debunking UFO's? I wish!

Shame I've authored half a dozen PRO UFO threads

Lets all face it...the guy is a troll....and he is wrong...end of story. In case it is not clear I am referring to (xxxmikaxxx).
edit on 28-6-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

as you say end of the story, but i thought i should elaborate for you since you forgot :

i checked his history here too, no doubt, the guy's full of lies and could not care less about truth.

the scientist was manually moved to science for so obvious reasons that it's not necessary to explain them and if it stayed one day or so on home page it is because it was so hard to identify it as a hoax. But as the owner just explained, the home page is not the most visited page on the site so it doesn't even matter.This content control thread was manually removed from homepage and buried in a matter of minutes because it was an obvious hoax with irrelevant questions that didn't need answers and those that flagged this were real fools too.

i applause your perspicacity & clairvoyance, thank you.

death to the troll.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Here's a star from me! It's much better to be nice about things on ats, I agree, can't we all just get along?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join