It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism - The Final Frontier

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatAliens

No, it doesn't because evidence doesn't support your side, even though it supports mine. Religion is not the "result" of society of problems since religion usually preceeds society. A civilization doesn't form and then a religion is created, but a religion is created, and its believers gather together and eventually form a civilization.

In all fairness, though, religious adherence is the strongest in a society that has to face many challenges.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Creationism isn't "disproved" via the Bible, the Bible it is the source of the Judaism, Christianity and Islam, which are the largest religions on the globe which is why it tends to be targeted as conceptual/moral system. Creationism doesn't need to be disproved given that no half decent evidence of that contained therein has ever been presented. The burden of proof falls on those making the claim, it isn't up to people who disagree with an assertion to "disprove" it. When Darwin posited the theory of evolution by natural selection he also provided evidence to support his proposition, after over a century of scientific scrutiny it still stands up as a scientific framework(you know, like Netwon's theory of universal gravitation and later Einstein's theory of relativity?).

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tetrarch42

hell, creationism is not even debunked by science.

something set the universe in motion, something set life in motion or is it the same thing?

i'm sorry some don't believe in the FSM, or god or whomever/whatever.

something is there and atheists can't disprove/prove anything.

therefore no legit reason to btcih against people who have been touched by something bigger than a mortal leader and their laws, influenced by self-righteous people, ironic isn't it?

ya'll want to believe the government controls how you think? go ahead, let em.

they have narrow sad little worlds created by man.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

hell, creationism is not even debunked by science.

something set the universe in motion, something set life in motion or is it the same thing?

i'm sorry some don't believe in the FSM, or god or whomever/whatever.

something is there and atheists can't disprove/prove anything.

And neither can religious people....just like no one can prove/disprove that unicorns exist somewhere in the universe. But scientists are humble enough to admit they don't have all the answers, while religious people can't seem to cope with not knowing...which is why you have sooooooo many different religions making up stuff

It's pure fiction! Nothing wrong with that if it makes you happy, but pretending it's based on facts or true knowledge is beyond laughable in the 21st century. And more and more people are realizing this as the number of believers is shrinking (according to Gallup).

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

I am an agnostic and I believe creation may have been the result of some force greater than ourselves. I further believe that evolution, be it human, animal, or any other form of evolution, is sound and acceptable. I have not yet met a "creationist" who is an agnostic. By and large, creationists are christian, subscribe to the view that earth's age is 6000 years and draws that exclusively from the bible. They assert that the story of creation is the bible's story of eden, adam and eve, and the serpent.

If you are now telling me that Creationists are agnostic and open to myriad stories of creation and evolution, this is incredible news -something we havge simply never heard before.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
If you flip a coin, it doesn't give you a random out come, it is determined.

When you roll a dice, it doesn't give you a random result, it is determined.

When you spin the wheel of fortune, it doesn't give you a random result, it is determined.

if you flip a coin the outcome is random it is not predetermined there is no way to determine beforehand weather it will be heads or tails.

when you roll a die (singular of dice) the result can not be determined beforehand weather it will be any of the 6 numbers on the die ( assuming a six sided die)

wheel of fortune ..again you apparently do not understand the concept of random at all. unless the game is rigged there is no possible way to determine the exact outcome of a spin, your examples are not very well chosen nor is your argument.

If we are subject to a universe which is deterministic and controlled by fixed laws like many people believe, how can random be anything but an invention of the mind? In a sense the whole universe will be determined by its starting parameters.
edit on 18-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Atheism is the only future if mankind wants to live peacefully and survive!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I believe in God because I believed in myself, first.
I am not at all offended by other people's thoughts.....I could be the last person in the entire world that believes in God and it would not upset me at all. As a solipsist, it would make all the sense in the world

edit on 8/18/2011 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreakThis proves that the Universe was determined to be what it is, rather than the product of random. If the Universe is restarted a million times the results will be exactly the same, unless a conscious being/creator/GOD changes the variables.

Oh boy, I really don't have the time for this, so I'll do this quickly. A deterministic universe actually goes against religious dogma because of the problem of free will. Have you read Augustine? If all interactions are determined by a complete set of universal variables (these variables also applied to the brains of living organisms), then the whole point of existence would be moot IF the the bottom line involved salvation. Every "decision" a human makes is a much larger event then the decay of an atom, and would have much greater consequences

Which brings me to the scientific reality of the situation. At the microscopic level the very idea of determinism breaks down. Hidden variables have been searched for with no success.

A paradox first enunciated by Einstein et al. (1935), who proposed a thought experiment that appeared to demonstrate quantum mechanics to be an incomplete theory. The usual view of quantum mechanics says that a wave function determines the probabilities of an actual experimental result and that it is the most complete possible specification of the quantum state. Einstein et al. believed the predictions of quantum mechanics to be correct, but only as the result of statistical distributions of other unknown but real properties of the particles...

...Bell (1964) subsequently formulated Bell's inequalities, which seemed to be a physically reasonable condition of locality which imposed restrictions on the maximum correlations of the measurements of a pair of spin 1/2 particles formed somehow in the singlet state and moving freely in opposite directions. This inequality can be tested in a laboratory experiment because the statistical predictions of quantum mechanics are incompatible with any local hidden variables theory apparently satisfying only the natural assumptions of "locality," as shown by the predictions of Bell's inequalities.

scienceworld.wolfram.com...

I rather like that hidden variables don't exist. The probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics is clear evidence that there is no "destiny."
"There's no fate but what we make for ourselves" - John Conner, T2

Of course, I'm assuming that the human brain would work on some sort of quantum principle and not just be a biochemical/electrical machine, but I have faith

Anyhow, my post will be ignored because it provides direct evidence against the OPs current talking point, despite it having nothing to do with religion, God, gods, or anything of that nature

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher
Atheism is the only future if mankind wants to live peacefully and survive!

History begs to differ. Specially the French Reign of Terror, we have seen that, overall, when atheists get some form of power, the first thing they use it for is to commit genocide.

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
Which brings me to the scientific reality of the situation. At the microscopic level the very idea of determinism breaks down. Hidden variables have been searched for with no success.

Although I don't believe in determinism myself, to be fair, Bell's work only demonstrated that causality and locality cannot be both truth.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetrarch42
the Bible it is the source of the Judaism, Christianity and Islam

Not really. Jews don't care about the Bible, just the old testament part. Muslims on the other hand regard to the Bible as corrupted (by man) knowledge or something like that..
edit on 23-8-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join