It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-foaming agent found in Chicken McNuggets

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Free range all the way for me now.

I'm right there with you. My father and I purchase our beef (for steaks or burgers), chicken, and turkey (whole turkeys for Thanksgiving) from a farmer we know who raises the cattle on his own farm (a free range farm). It may be mental, but to me it tastes that much better, and it doesn't hurt knowing that the food on my plate was raised in a proper and healthy environment.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I thought this was common knowledge about US McNuggets? Jamie Oliver has been banging on about them for a few years now.

The sad thing is, even when he got a chicken carcass, broke it down and made the nuggets the exact way McDonalds do in the US in front of a bunch of kids, they all said it looked disgusting untill he fried them.

Then they all happily ate them, even after seeing how and what they were made from.

That said, UK McNuggets do not contain any of these anti-foaming agents, although they do contain some chemicals such as raising agents (Sodium Bicarbonate) it is no worse than any other prepared food you can buy for yourself in the supermarket. They also contain Chicken breast meat, not mashed up carcass.

Seems the food is different around the world, depending on food standards laws and the EU is pretty strict on that sort of thing.
edit on 26/6/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Don't.

It's cruel how cage chickens are kept, they're basically just zombies.

I've had the displeasure to spend a day at a chicken factory.

Free range all the way for me now.

Yeah i know, ive bought free range eggs for the last 20 years, in fact it amazes me that it is still legal to produce eggs from caged hens.
Me and my kids gets about one egg a week each these days because theyre relatively so expensive.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Like meat coming from ten chickem makes it not chicken.

I never said it didn't make it chicken. I simply stated a personal preference, that being that I would rather have my chicken come from one source. You can be more than happy to have chicken McNuggets, and that's not a problem. Personally, though, I prefer not to.

As for fillers or extenders, anything from breadcrumbs, crushed corn flakes and the famous hamburger helper fit this discripction and these are foods.

Absolutely true. However, most extenders and fillers are high in carbohydrates and proteins, and are often times quite fattening. Again, I was stating a personal preference. I prefer not to have food with such additives. Obviously, many millions of individuals disagree, and that's fine. People should eat whatever they want.

I'll plead ignorance on the whole anti-foaming/silicone thing. I was not aware of that. However, that one thing alone is not what deters me from eating that particular product.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What I don't get is why would someone get the Chicken McNuggets when they can get the Chicken Strips (aka Chicken Selects) which are about 100000000000x better than the Chicken McNuggets which are absolutely horrid and gross.

The Chicken Strips and the Angus burgers are probably the best things on McDonald's menu. Their entire breakfast menu is pretty decent as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Judge_Holden

Well yes I agree that people are free to eat what they want. I disagree with fillers being bad. Proteins, carbs and fats are in everything we eat. I mean meat is high in protein and fat so why would a filler high in protein be bad? Also meat is usually acompanied by some sort of carb like rice, potatoes, pasta so why would grinding it into the ground beef be any worse than having a side of mashed potatoes?

Now the raising of the animals that food comes from is another issue.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Because they are processed, it is far easier for your body to break down and store as fat, whereas the natural stuff takes a bit more effort for it to be broken down. Well, that my understanding anyway.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Actually the way I understand it is that the processing of foods like flour or sugar strip it of some nutrients. That is what makes whole wheat (more fiber), raw sugar (more minerals and B6) and raw veggies (more vitamins) better for you but it doesn't change the way the body turns it into fat.

edit on 26-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I will continue to eat McDonalds for the rest of my life. I love me some McDonald's.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
good thing i don't eat mcdonalds, it always made me sick.. i didn't think it tasted too bad just was never able to keep it down

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadys321

Same here. Eating at McDonald's for an extended period of your life (or at any fast food joint, for that matter) has been scientifically proven to lower your life span.

Who wants to live long in what this world is becoming?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

I think that is a huge bet to live up to! But I also agree that they are riddled with harmful chemicals.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

But they still tasty

Yup had them yesterday.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Also chock full of dihydrogen monoxide. Be afraid! Be very afraid!

(People still eat mcDonalds? Really? You'd think you should know that food that tastes like that isn't good for you)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I thought this was news last year? Mechanically separated chicken is just ground chicken parts squeezed through a screen, disinfected, flavored, shaped and cooked.

Here's an actual chicken nugget production line...

Sounds so simple until you realize what all that actually means. You are eating chicken skin, bones, sinew, tendons, cartilage, fat and a little left over meat. YUM or YUCK?
edit on 26-6-2011 by survivalstation because: last line

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Judge_Holden
[more

The anti foaming agent is silicone based....silicone is in everything.

The TBHQ is a preservative for oil and is commonly found in many oils.

reply to post by gimme_some_truth

That some kind of ingredient is silicone.

Which is in everything, literally.

Even in vegetables.

Many vegetables contain silicon since they are plant-based foods. Levels of silicon vary in each vegetable. Some examples of vegetables that contain silicon are asparagus, cabbage, cucumbers, dandelion greens (edible weeds with an intense hearty taste and bitter tinge), lettuce, mustard greens, olives, parsnips, radishes, white onions, corn, sugar beets, bell peppers

www.ehow.com...

edit on 26/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

Uh, Silicone and silicon are two entirely different compounds. One is a natural element (not that that makes it safe), and one is synthetic.

Silicone

Silicones are inert, synthetic compounds with a variety of forms and uses. Typically heat-resistant and rubber-like, they are used in sealants, adhesives, lubricants, medical applications (e.g., breast implants), cookware, and insulation.

Silicon

Not to be confused with the silicon-containing synthetic polymer Silicone. Silicon (play /ˈsɪlɨkən/ sil-ə-kən or /ˈsɪlɨkɒn/ sil-ə-kon; Latin: silicium) is the most common metalloid. It is a chemical element, which has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent metalloid, it is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon. Silicon is the eighth most common element in the universe by mass,

Just because silicone contains silicon doesn't mean that silicone is "in everything." That's like saying that because water is used to make product X that product X is in everything that contains water. Faulty logic.

I certainly hope that silicone is not in my daily food, 'specially vegetables.

=============

To the rest of the posts, i do recall reading that the McNuggets are made with a chemical that is used to make silly putty (silicone based), which is, i guess, the filler of which people spoke.

I also recall reading that people have have left McD's hamburgers and fries for month and they have not spoiled.

I think i'll pass (and have for several years now). Rather not feel like i am going to vomit after eating something...
edit on 26-6-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I couldn't agree more. If I could choose a way to die, McDonalds would be near the top of the list.

(along with some others I won't mention.... :cool

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Also chock full of dihydrogen monoxide. Be afraid! Be very afraid!

That rings a bell. I am sure I saw something about "dihydrogen monoxide" being bandied about as an ingredient and people were scared of it, calling for it to be banned!

Will have to see if I can dig up that story. It was a spoof that got people all worked up..

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Yep you're correct, my bad.

BUT! Silicone is still used in everything, including food handling.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

it may not be that the anti foaming agent is in the product as an additive . most food plants even potato chip processors put it in the water . the foam produced is quite a mess to clean up ,this foam is caused by the starch content that is in the water . sometimes they add other things to the used water to keep the bacteria count down so that they can recycle the water over and over,it is all about bringing the cost down to be competitive,or so they say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join