It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most insperational speech/poem i've ever heard. Chris Hedge - Hope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Youtube video

Hope is not trusting in the ultimate goodness of Barack Obama, who, like Herod of old, sold out his people. It is not having a positive attitude or pretending that happy thoughts and false optimism will make the world better. Hope is not about chanting packaged campaign slogans or trusting in the better nature of the Democratic Party. Hope does not mean that our protests will suddenly awaken the dead consciences, the atrophied souls, of the plutocrats running Halliburton, Goldman Sachs, ExxonMobil or the government. Hope does not mean we will halt the firing in Afghanistan of the next Hellfire missile, whose explosive blast sucks the oxygen out of the air and leaves the dead, including children, scattered like limp rag dolls on the ground. Hope does not mean we will reform Wall Street swindlers and speculators, or halt the pillaging of our economy as we print $600 billion in new money with the desperation of all collapsing states. Hope does not mean that the nation’s ministers and rabbis, who know the words of the great Hebrew prophets, will leave their houses of worship to practice the religious beliefs they preach. Most clerics like fine, abstract words about justice and full collection plates, but know little of real hope. Hope knows that unless we physically defy government control we are complicit in the violence of the state. All who resist keep hope alive. All who succumb to fear, despair and apathy become enemies of hope. They become, in their passivity, agents of injustice. If the enemies of hope are finally victorious, the poison of violence will become not only the language of power but the language of opposition. And those who resist with nonviolence are in times like these the thin line of defense between a civil society and its disintegration. Hope has a cost. Hope is not comfortable or easy. Hope requires personal risk. Hope does not come with the right attitude. Hope is not about peace of mind. Hope is an action. Hope is doing something. The more futile, the more useless, the more irrelevant and incomprehensible an act of rebellion is, the vaster and the more potent hope becomes. Hope never makes sense. Hope is weak, unorganized and absurd. Hope, which is always nonviolent, exposes in its powerlessness the lies, fraud and coercion employed by the state. Hope does not believe in force. Hope knows that an injustice visited on our neighbor is an injustice visited on us all. Hope posits that people are drawn to the good by the good. This is the secret of hope’s power and it is why it can never finally be defeated. Hope demands for others what we demand for ourselves. Hope does not separate us from them. Hope sees in our enemy our own face.

Hope poem words

I don't think i have heard anything more touching than this, Thought i should share it with ATS as there are many like minded people here, who i believe will be touched by this poem as much as i.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Trolloks because: embeding video

edit on 26-6-2011 by Trolloks because: still cant get the youtube thingy working

edit on 26-6-2011 by Trolloks because: STILL CANNE GET YOUTUBE THINGY WORKING ARG!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
"Hope sees in our enemy our own face."

Thanks for sharing this! Beautiful.

It really identifies with my personal belief of the true paradox of the world. The war, hate, anger, and all other conflicts and vices are within our own mind. But within our minds lie also love, peace, compassion and "the Kingdom of Heaven."

The world is a reflection of this internal world that each individual experiences and it is up to each individual to release the power of love that lies deep within their soul. The unconditional love that is the very fabric of reality although largely unseen.

"Hope posits that people are drawn to the good by the good. This is the secret of hope’s power and it is why it can never finally be defeated. Hope demands for others what we demand for ourselves."

I had to read it again to catch that the whole ending is just beautifully written.
edit on 26-6-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: Peace not piece

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
All I can say is wow!

One day I hope to articulate feelings this well.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Im sad this poem did not get the attention it deserves. Im glad you two heard it and touched your as much as I. Its so beautiful.

top topics

join