It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien message may be in our DNA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
" Forget waiting for ET to call -- the most likely place to find an alien message is in our DNA, according to an expert in Australia."

www.mg.co.za...

This has to be one of the most way out theories I have seen. However there is once again no way of proving or disproving this theory.

What does everyone else think about this? Would aliens really go to all that trouble to give us a "message"?

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yeah, just read that. Interesting, but the scientist seems to assume that the life the aliens found on earth at the time would survive long enough to figure it out. That seems like an awfully huge long shot just so they could meet the neighbors at some point.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
That is really way out there! Yet at the same time it feels like it could be true. I suppose the idea of being able to contact alien beings with our current technology is a bit stupid. Why would they be able to pick up such signals that we have created?

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well, there's no way to disapprove his theory (yet) so as of now it sounds somewhat believe-able.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Extremely far-out, but somehow believable. I think I saw an episode of Star Trek that was about a similar concept.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bzap
Extremely far-out, but somehow believable. I think I saw an episode of Star Trek that was about a similar concept.

Yeah me too. Same idea, advanced technology put seeds on different planets to create life.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i started a thread on this very topic quite awhile ago.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Is anyone here in a position to try and put together a small team to take an attempt at looking for something in the DNA code?

d1k

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Very cool and very believable. I wonder what that junk DNA is and if anyone is looking at it.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
Very cool and very believable. I wonder what that junk DNA is and if anyone is looking at it.

Its non coding dna, that is, it doesn't get translated and transcribed inot proteins; hence the name 'junk'. It was thought that it was a meaningless load on the genome, a waste. For a while now tho workers in the field have been looking at the posibility that its involved in whats called 'epigenetics'. That is, that it might control the rate at which actual coding dna is transcribed, or switch genes on and off and the like.

It looks like the orignal article is suggesting that a message has been coded in it. The only problem with this is that

1. Junk Dna is subject to drift (it's sequence changes)
  2. its in almost all organisms

So it wouldn't be able to actually hold a message, and it doesn't seem to be something 'aliens' or whatever inserted into the human genome. And, again, if it had been inserted into the genomes of very primitive organisms at the begining of life on earth, then by now it would've been altered drastically by neutral drift and the like. Its definitely not a good way to encode a message to 'us'. If the aliens wanted us to realize that they are there, then the methods SETI uses would be the most rational. The ability to detect the transmissions that seti looks for are probably basically (in the grande scheme of things anyway) of the same technological level as the ability to read a genome and analyse it for coded patterns, so its not like a civilization needs to be particularly more advanced than society is now in order to do this. And, again, any message in the genome is going to be altered quite abit and wouldn't have any guarentee of being there when intelligent life develops the technology to find it in the first place.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I've had a look before. The problem isn't finding stuff it's; How do you interpret the data that's there?

People have claimed to find small snippets of ancient texts before, but with an entire CD of data, compressed, it's like the infinite monkeys on infinite type-writers. You'll find text in there because the laws of probability say that you will.

The actual protein coding strands obviously will contain information only for reverse transcriptase. The other non-coding regions have a very low informational content. Many repeating letters like TTTTTTTTTTT etc.

Anything that may have artificially interferred with our DNA would probably not speak the same language as we do. So the only thing I can think of, which I didn't try, is to look for pictures. Possibly use the base 4 system to encode each pixel, or code each pixel with a codon.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by electric]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The movie "Mission to MArs" was based around this idea.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The fact that the junk DNA is changing could indicate that as time goes on, the message changes a little to co-relate to the time we're living in.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
lol kinda reminds me of that one mars movie where they discover aliens inside the face of mars and the guy made a dna code out of m&m's and then some other guy found that their dna was linked or something(sry if im a little vague in the description-havnt slept in a couple days and getting a little edgy)

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheHeggy
The fact that the junk DNA is changing could indicate that as time goes on, the message changes a little to co-relate to the time we're living in.

The junk dna varies randomly, effectively the variation represents slow signal loss

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As far as I am aware, "junk" DNA just needs to be re-activated, it is not "dead" or useless as such.

However, where would you start looking for such a message, it is hard to fathom such a task.

Where would we look first? What kind of code of pattern could we even start to look for?

I wonder what the human population would be capable of if ALL the "junk" DNA was activated, or maybe the activation would cause illnesses or functional problems.

Maybe the "message" is the reactivation of unused DNA itself.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by Kriz_4]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
maybe the junk dna is from our evolution - as we changed then we turned bits off - if we could turn the human bits off and turn the junk on then we would be fishes

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by acidhead
maybe the junk dna is from our evolution - as we changed then we turned bits off - if we could turn the human bits off and turn the junk on then we would be fishes

So if we did the same for fish, they would all be human?

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
no fish never evolved from humans -

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by acidhead
no fish never evolved from humans -

Ah, a double negative.

So you are saying fish evolved from humans?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join