It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probe set to test Einsteins theory!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
At last the probe is ready.

"NASA's Gravity Probe B spacecraft could begin testing Einstein's general theory of relativity as early as this week, according to mission controllers at Stanford University.

The probe, said to be one of the most precise scientific instruments ever assembled, was initially scheduled to begin taking measurements within 45 to 60 days of its April 20 launch into Earth orbit. But mission controllers were forced to delay operations time and again after discovering minor malfunctions in the spacecraft's microthrusters and observing unexpected behavior from its four gyroscopes."

www.wired.com...

More info about the probe can be found here: einstein.stanford.edu...

"To make measurements this small, Gravity Probe B engineers had to ensure that the spheres in each of the spacecraft's four gyroscopes would not wobble enough to ruin the measurements. To do this, they designed and developed some of the most perfect spheres ever created by humans. Composed of fused quartz, the objects the size of a Ping-Pong ball have no imperfections greater than 40 atomic layers in height. In other words, if the spheres were the size of the Earth, there would be no hills or valleys taller or deeper than 12 feet."

I find this pretty interesting and am looking forward to seeing the results.

What do people here think? Is this experiment really enough to measure and/or prove Einstiens theory? Can we consider the results as hard fact or do you think outside influences in space will effect the measurements?

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the article. I am also very interested in the results that this mission will bring into light.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
hang on i thought thay already done at the beging off this year ?

[edit on 10-8-2004 by leejones]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by leejones
hang on i thought thay already done at the beging off this year ?

[edit on 10-8-2004 by leejones]

I agree, I thought this was old news?

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It was launched April 20 this year, read the article and it will explain why testing has not been done. One of the gyroscopes did not work untill now.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I see, thanks for clearing up the confusion. Sorry it was said in the first couple of sentences, I taught it was the same.

top topics

join