It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All the Names of the Lord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The Name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe.
Proverbs 18:10

The issue of the Lord's Name/Names has been a divisive one at various points in Christian history, and within the last few years I personally have seen it becoming even moreso. Should we say "God" "G_d" "the Lord" "Jehovah" or something else? What about Christ? Since my earliest childhood I have known and loved Him as Jesus, but now many and fervant are those who insist this is no longer sufficient; that we must use "Yeshua" another variant.

I know that people have detailed scriptural arguments to back their favorite theory, but I can't help but feel all such arguments are not only harmful in terms of disrupting the fellowship of Christians but also potentially highly dangerous to the individual.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Exodus 20:7

Should we not respect His Name in all the many, many forms it has been revealed to us in scripture? Is it not a sin to dishonor any of these names? Would He turn His back on those who have come to Salvation in every country on earth, knowing Him in the translations of their own tongues? Is it not arrogant and unseemly to pretend to know otherwise?

We must not let this issue divide us, my Christian brothers and sisters!

Best wishes for your walk with Christ...under whichever of His names you know Him!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
well if the lord is everthing, and everything is the lord. then all the names are the lords.....uh umm....yeah

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I was always taught that the Lord God and Jesus were two separate entities. There are some faiths that proclaim Jesus as God.

But let's not forget the original Hebrew bible, the Torah, where the word used for "God" is Elohim, which is a plural noun literally meaning "gods".

So, when reading an English King James bible, for instance, the verse in Genesis reads: "(A singular) God said 'let us make man in our image'." That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But using the word "Elohim", it makes a little more sense: "The Gods said 'let us make man in our image'."

Other research has taught us that different cultures from around the world have different words and descriptions of the beings that came down from the heavens and created us in their image and likeness.

P.S.: Glad you took your e-burkah off.

edit on 26-6-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Missed out Dennis Bergkamp

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I thought U2 was the plural.
And Bono was the singular.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
God's original name was given around 7,000 times in Scripture, but throughout millennia the religious leaders hid His name, thereby breaking the third commandment to not bring His name to nothing (which, in the original language, is more the intent than the common idea of not using His name as a curse word).

The first incidence of Him giving His descriptive name 'Ayer Asher Ayer' given in Exodus 3:14 , in Exodus 3:15 He gives Moses the name He was to be known by forever: YHWH...of which there is, unfortunately, much discussion and disagreement on its precise pronunciation.

But since there is power in the name and all who call on His name will be saved, and Messiah Himself gave His disciples the true Name*, I've found it important to seek out this name, which is an interesting journey all unto itself.

*John 17:6
I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.

top topics

join